1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls sign Blount to 1 year contract

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets R' Us, Jul 31, 2002.

1. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Chicago - The Bulls signed veteran forward Corie Blount Tuesday to a one year deal worth $1.4 million. Blount is coming off a season in which he averaged 3.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per game for the Philadelphia 76ers. The 9 year veteran will provide leadership and rebounding in a reserve role for the team. The Bulls continue to pursue another veteran to fill their $4.5 million salary cap exception.

Comes from Hoopsworld.com

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

What exactly is the point of this move? Blount, from what I've heard, isn't really a role model-type. Blount isn't a good player, or a good leader. What gives?

4. TheReasonSF3

TheReasonSF3 Member

Don't know KidRock. I live near Philly, and I've seen Blount play a lot. He is an okay role player. That's about it. He's like a 3rd string PF.

5. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Blount is what, like 29 or 30? That seems to be right between the age of a player that they would want. Either bring in a young player, who could have potential, or a grizzled vet like Willis, to provide leadership to a very young team. Blount doesn't fit this bill.

It just seems like the Bulls brought him back to relive the glory MJ years, or to make a move for the sake of making a move.

6. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

He's just insurance for a young front line.

7. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

He's a good reserve.

Thats all. Nothing more, nothing less. As both kids will be starters this season, he'll back them up in the role vacated by Charles Oakley.

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

if i ever accidentally start to feel sorry for an nba player ever again, someone quickly remind me that corie friggin blount is making 1.4 million dollars.

9. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

For what it's worth, the Bulls are expected to add either Matt Harpring (outright signing) or Mike Miller (via trade) this offseason...and hoping for Juwan Howard next off-season as the permanent backup for Tyke.

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

No freakin way! :mad: He promised me he would sign with the Rockets! Grrrrrr....

11. WhiteMagic02

WhiteMagic02 Member

If they can get anything from the kids and JayW is half of what he is expected to be then the Bulls have a shot at being a decent Eastern Conf. team, which is about equal to the Grizzlies.

12. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

GB,

If you guys get Howard, you're getting one hell of a player and a great team guy. Dude has been nothing but class since he got thrown into a crappy situation for him. He gets a lot of crap because of the $20 mil contract, but dude is a good PF. We won't be re-signing him probably anyway, so he will be available.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

But which one of those guys will overshadow the signing of Blount :D

Really, I think the bulls are doing well this off-season. Blount is a nice signing, he plays hard and has a good work-ethic. He's a big body and, although he won't set the world on fire, he did average 7.2rpg and 4.6ppg in 26 mpg as a starter (21games) for Philly last year.