1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Breaking Down the Rockets Blockbuster

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 20, 2010.

1. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I'm not very high on Hilton Armstrong. I saw him play some games for the Hornets and have not been very impressed. He's decidedly mediocre. He has good size and athleticism but that's about it. I'd be more excited about Jordan Hill than Hilton Armstrong.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Clutch,

I noticed that the title for McGrady's section reads "McGrady Get His Wish"

Should be "Gets" or "Got". Just thought I'd give you the heads up.

3. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

First of all, I used two separate posts to cover this, but anyhow, just using the part you are looking at, the number required for the Knicks TPE wouldn't be $23 million, it would be $14.3, less the 25% + $100K, or about $11.4 million.

Looking at the deal with the Kings, the difference was $11.8 million the other way.

A few quotes from question 70 of Larry Coon's FAQ might shed some light:
    I include these quoted because I know it looks like I use the term TPE loosely. I included the last one because the term, "Assigned Player Exception" is used even now, at least in the version I downloaded from the nbpa.com site.

Here, you confuse me. When you talk about these other two "transactions," are these actual legal transactions, or just an artifice you are using to make a point? When I break down what some here want to call one big transaction into several little ones, it is because that's the way they do it, though they don't necessarily tell us what the transactions were. As Larry Coon said in a separate article,

4. topfive

topfive CF OG

Something tells me we'll be seeing a lot of Martin and Lowry together to start the 4th quarter. Between those two guys, we should be able to get a team into the penalty with 7 or 8 minutes left. Then put AB in and let him, Martin and Yao sink their 85% the rest of the way.

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No. You can't combine a TPE with other players. In order to acquire TMac using a TPE, they would have needed a $23m TPE.

Trades can look multiple ways for different party perspectives. Since you seem to be a fan of the Coon FAQ, question 70:
    Alternatively, and more to the point,

6. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Clutch is LOF (Landry only fan) LOL jk :grin:

"The anonymous source" wasnt the video of smoothie? In the video asks too for too much, then the knicks saw the video, and didnt want to give in. hehe :grin:

Nice article, you said great things there.

7. choujie

choujie Member

This trade could be fatal to CBud. Once Lowry comes back, where is the minutes for developing Cbud this year?

8. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

The rockets are going to have to cut into Battie/Ariza minutes hopefully...

9. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

Great article, Clutch.

The one thing I didn't like, not only about the article but some of the threads around here, is how clearly they illustrate the stupidity of other GMs and the brilliance of Morey. I just hope Morey doesn't develop a reputation as a hustler. Because that would mean they won't deal with Morey, and we will stop getting incredibly lopsided deals... We'll only get moderately lopsided deals... :grin:

10. battousai

battousai Member

The way this team is setup, I think we are in position to get a PF. Most likely it would be Bosh. Unfortunately, it means scola would be included in some way.

playing along side KM, Yao is equally attractive as paying with lebron or wade.

11. kwng

kwng Member

I am not too happy with this trade especially from Landry perspective ..
    I am still not able to accept that fact that Landry has been traded.

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

Nice work, Clutch!

I hope it will work out for the Rockets!

13. No Chance

No Chance Contributing Member

Good article as always, thanks for the 'fine print link' to the pick explanations.

Don't want to start a new thread but can HILL & ARMSTRONG be sent to the Valley farm team?

14. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

League rules allow only players in their 1st or 2nd season to be sent to the NBDL. Armstrong can't go the NBDL, because he is a 4-year veteran. Jordan can go, since he is a rookie.

There's only 2 months left in the season. Adelman may want to get a better look at these guys for the next 2 months.

15. worzel gummidge

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/mac_already_u8KQbwwZrbtMO8bCR1auvN
    Did McGrady block other trades the Rockets had lined up?

IIRC, the Rockets haven't stopped going after Rubio this season and Granger's name has been thrown out as a speculative target the Rockets may have had interest in.