1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is Gary Payton or Reggie Miller a Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by LiLStevie3, Jul 29, 2002.

1. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

They both deserve it, absolutely.

Both players have carried their respected franchises for over a decade. Both teams have had consistently good records and postseason results. You can't judge players entirely on whether they've won championships or not, unless those players belong to the Jazz!

2. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'd say yes for Richmond. But no or incomplete for the other players, Kemp, Mourning, Latrell, Hardaway, and Finley.

If Finley's consistent with his stats then he should be at least eligible. Kemp, Hardaway and Latrell have been awfully inconsistent. Mourning maybe...

The Hall of Fame has been dilluted as it is but I don't think all should get a nomination.

3. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

I think Spree deserves it even with his choking incident. He's averaged about 20 for the last 7 years or so and been an all star for a large part of his carreer. He's also one of the best open court players in the game today. He's fundamentaly sound and plays solid D. I think his chocking incident will be overlooked and he will be voted in eventually.

4. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Best PG of the 90's? Where's the love for Stockton :D? Yeah, I know, nowhere. But Stockton was the best PG of the 90's, there's really not much question of that.

"He's the best. When I came into the league, he was the guy who took me to school. I'm still looking for a weakness in his game."
    - Gary Payton

"People who think he's losing it are people who don't have to play against him."
    - Gary Payton

As for first complete PG, in what context? Magic and Robertson weren't complete?

Anywho...

I don't see Spree getting in. They're thinking about not putting LT into the Football HOF, even though he was one of the greatest defensive players ever, simply because he was a druggie. Dantley hasn't gotten in simply because he was an all-around a-hole. Likewise, Bill Bradley got into Basketball HOF because the Hall thought it would increase prestige to have someone in there who was likely to run for President of the US, not neccessarily because he deserved it. A guy on the brink who almost got kicked out of the NBA for assault isn't getting in.

For the same reasons, Zo's sob story will probably strengthen his case quite a bit, and two Defensive Player awards are hard to ignore.

Richmond will get in purely on point totals. Plus, now he has a ring (laughs).

As most have said, Finley is incomplete, though he certainly has the talent to make it into the Hall.

Hardaway didn't do quite enough, I don't think he'll make it.

Kemp? Yeah, right. How many kids does he have? How many times has he been caught doing drugs? If he had been better for longer, then perhaps, but I don't see it now.

Mullin? That's probably the toughest to call. He had one of the best jump-shots in the history of the league, and he led the league in minutes twice. I think the fact that he was on the original Dream Team may just nudge him over the edge, but it's a close call either way.

Miller? Yes. Again, point totals, 3-point totals.

Payton? Yes. It's far too hard to ignore 8 all-defensive teams.

Here's one more for the mix: Mark Jackson. Somehow I don't think he'll make it, but I'd like to see him there anyway.

In summary...

IN: Miller, Payton, Mourning, Richmond, Mullin.

OUT: Sprewell, Finley (really can't tell yet), Hardaway, Kemp, Mark Jackson.

Good thread.

#24 Drexlerfan22, Jul 29, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2002
  5. Stevie Francis

payton no doubt.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Payton and Miller deserve to be in the Hall of Fame.
    Kemp No
    Spree No
    Richmond will probably make based on his points but I wouldn't include him in it.
    Mullin just might make it,but I think he will miss out.
    Finley Incomplete
    Zo and Hardaway No. But a case for Zo based on his courage can be made.
    Mark Jackson No.

7. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Gary Payton was (is) great, but not Magic Johnson great. Miller is above average. Neither changed the history of the game. Neither re-defined their position. Neither delivered against Mike. Neither have a particularly compelling story of historical significance.

I guess I just have a small hall. Y'all let everybody in.

8. LiLStevie3

LiLStevie3 Member

Not everyone in the hall was a monumental player or redefined their position. If this was so, there would be like 10 players in the entire hall.

9. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Yeah but in 1997 West finals, Payton just eviscerated Stockton and made it look like his career was over. From 87-97 stockton was best but tailed off.

10. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Not us, its basketball hall of fame that lets everybody in! its by far the easiest of the big 3:D

11. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

The list of HOFers is <a href="http://www.hoophall.com/halloffamers/year.htm">here, by year of induction</a>. There's an alphabetical list at the same site.<p>
    Miller and Payton compare favorably with a lot of the players already inducted (Wes Unseld, Calvin Murphy (sorry, Rox fans!), Dave Cowens). But the last couple of years' selections seem to have been of higher quality; the only one with even a question mark to me would be the excellent-but-well-traveled Bob McAdoo. Though that should get Dominique Wilkins' hopes up.

12. ElGrandeQueso

ElGrandeQueso Member

What about Glen Rice's chances. If Mitch Richmond gets in, Rice should as well. They've put up similar career numbers and while Richmond played mostly on struggling teams, Rice has performed for winning teams.

13. mav3434

mav3434 Member

perception. People have a positive perception of Richmond as a hard worker toiling in obscurity, Rice as talented but lazy and a whiner and oft injured.

14. Drexlerfan22

Except that those three are all better than Payton and Miller. Cowens was the best defensive player of the 70s, led the Celtics to 3 championships, and is one of just two players (Pippen is the other) to lead his team in points, assists, rebounds, blocks, and steals all in a single season. Unseld was a 6'7" center that averaged 14 rebounds a game and won MVP in his rookie year. Murphy was just flat out awesome.

I still think Miller and Payton will get in, but neither of them matches up with Cowens or Unseld. Murphy maybe.

15. mav3434

mav3434 Member

Unseld is the best, by far, of those five players, maybe the greatest pure rebounder ever, up with Wilt and M. Malone.

I would put Miller and Payton in the 2nd tier below unseld. Cowens was very good, a former mvp, but he primarily made thanks to being on the celtics powerhouse. Nobody will mention him with the all time great centers.

Regrettably I think they have a distinct edge on Calvin. He was amazing, yes, for a little man but not really ever great for a shooting guard. I don't know of any big games he won or him leading the rockets to anything. I would take Reggie or Payton over him in a heartbeat. Calvin did have the superior college career though, with his scoring duel with Maravich.

16. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I don't know if Miller deserves it. He really was/is a one-dimensional player, who played no defense. THe only reason he would go is because of his clutch performances, which no one can take away from him.

GP is a lock to be a HOF. He's been the best overall PG in the NBA for the last 7-8 years running. Despite not having much talent around him, Sea has managed to be decent because of GP.

17. Drexlerfan22

Personally, I think Cowens is one of the great centers. I mean, isn't blocking Kareem's sky-hook fairly impressive? Not to mention that he had SF speed, had a great drive to the hoop, and a jumper out to 16 feet. Havlicek and White were very good, but Cowens was the reason they remained a powerhouse. You won't find a better 6'9" defender.

Just my opinion :).

18. mav3434

mav3434 Member

He definitely was very good, but IMO in a Scottie Pippen sort of complementary way, thought there was no serious supermegastar on his teams. Bill Russell, though, was listed at 6-10 but I have seen him referred to as 6-9.

19. Drexlerfan22

Oh, yeah... besides Russell. That was a superDuh.