1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Rockets Are China's Team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by yuisakata, Dec 30, 2009.

1. sun9099

sun9099 Member

it is easy for player to gets well known by joining rocket.
    not only carl landry. chase badingge.
    such as Spanoulis and novak gets a lot fans in china.

2. sun9099

sun9099 Member

in chinese luis scola can be translate as four carat diamond for his beautiful move in low post.

3. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Shane: Mr. President
    Scola: Diamond (as scola in chinese sounds similar to four karat)
    Ariza: Smith (clank, clank, clank....)

4. chongx04

chongx04 Member

yeah!

....wait a minute...i don't notice him at all..

5. ying861020

ying861020 Member

yes , i'm chinese.
    most of chinese fans like Carl and Scola.
    If yao ming isn't playing for rockets in the fulture, there still have many rockets fans,because we still love Landry、Lowry、Scola、Brooks......

6. hahachui

hahachui Member

another Brooks nickname in china is call "Little Black Bean"

7. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

LMAO!!!!

8. MD_in_Training

I think different demographics have different preferences in China. My understanding is that young males, who play basketball, tend to like (not necessarily root for) Tmac and Kobe. However, outside of that age range, men and women only follow Yao, Yi, and their respective teams.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Fine with me. Sure, there are different measures.

In terms of product endorsements, I'm always seeing Battier on TV ads, no Lakers.

In terms of TV shows, there is a dedicated Rockets show (usually talking about games that were not televised), not a Lakers show.

In terms of nightly TV highlights--dunks etc.--Lakers come before Rockets.

In terms of asking guys who play bball "Who's your favorite team?"--I do directly ask my classes this--Lakers win.

In terms of me seeing an NBA game televised, Lakers are on twice as often as Rockets, at least this season.

Sure, the Rockets are China's team like the Dallas Cowboys are America's team.

This reminds me, back in like '98, I had the TV on in class during the last game of the NBA finals :p When Jordan hit the series-winning shot, one guy was so excited he started crying. It was great.

10. nomad_balla

nomad_balla Member

i agree. i've been in china the past 5 years and there's no question the rockets are the home team in china. ppl watch new jersey because of yi but i dont think fans in china have developed any kind of loyalty for the nets. there's alot of laker fans.

11. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

Lakers no doubt. Everyone knows Kobe Bryant & Shaq (most still think he's on the Lakers).

12. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

DD faints! (packs his bags and moves to china)

13. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

That's because different people like different individual players. But in terms of TEAM, the CCTV5 commentators actually used the word "we" to refer to the Rockets. Never the Lakers. The commentary about the Lakers games definitely sounds much more neutral, like a game on ESPN.

And yeah each Rox player's got multiple nicknames in Chinese, as a native Chinese speaker, I will gather as much info as I can before I head back to Htown.

14. yuisakata

yuisakata Member

That's a real good one, lol

15. Chinesexiaohai

haha,yuisakata, so many people love rockets in China,we feel sad hearing the leave of tmac,you can message me, 15131139525 .ps: which city are you in now ??

16. Yuancheng

Yuancheng Member

In China, people always talks about Rockets. Rox news always the headlines in all kinds sports news even when yao is out for season. www.hoopchina.com, the popular website about nba. just look the headlines.

17. Yuancheng

Yuancheng Member

Scola: diamond
    Battier: president
    Lowry: little steel gun
    Hayes: cokernut
    Ariza: hammersmith

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

But you have a sample of one class in one of the two most prestigious colleges in China. That really has as much effect as polling a class at Harvard as to their favorite soccer team. And try to extrapolate that onto the whole country.

I assume you're referring to CCTV5. They have a contract with the NBA, and air games as a package ala NBATV. The Lakers are on twice as often because they're the defending champs and the Rockets are nobodies(especially before the season started). But listen to the Chinese announcers if you're not certain of loyalty. The Rockets bias is blatant, even this year without Yao. Lakers? They show respect, and they're in awe of Kobe. But the lack of personal involvement is pretty obvious.

19. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude, yeah, I am at Tsinghua. How did you know that?!?!?!?

20. Mayway

Mayway Member

To me, Rockets is my brother,Lakers is my lover.
    Brother can't change.but lover can .
    In China,Family is more important.
    Sorry for my poor English and Happy new year!