1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Did Landry add a jump hook in the offseason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JBIIRockets, Nov 5, 2009.

1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I saw Carl Landry put in a jump hook in the OT against LA last night, and I couldn't help but notice how smooth it looked when he shot it. He looked like Hakeem on that shot.

Seems to me Carl should get some more low post opportunities, especially if his jump hook is indeed reliable.

2. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

I think he already had it in his bag, he just never went to it as much in the past. I think it's great though... gives us two low-post threats now... Scola and him. David Andersen needs to post up more.

3. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

1 person likes this.
  4. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

He doesn't have Scola's spin moves but he is extremely efficient near the basket and have a lot of go to moves.

5. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Yes he did and that's sweet!!!

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think technically he had it before, i think what he did was perfect it. Sometimes post players who never really learned post moves have a tendency to linedrive their hooks, they shoot it all palm. If anyone saw the vid of Dorsey working with CD, CD kept correcting that with Joey...Landry did they same thing, now he bends his hand back at the wrist so that the ball sits on his palm and he can guide the ball in with his fingers, like you should on a regular shot.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This quote brought a tear to my eye-

Man, I love this team.

#7 gifford1967, Nov 5, 2009
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2009
  8. Bigdaddy210121

The Rockets should have milked Landry in the 4th quater and OT....and man was on fire and Ariza just didn't have his shot last night.

9. mrfirefly7

mrfirefly7 Member

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

11. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I really liked the article - great job - but Carl has had a jump hook since he came into the league. It was just so under-developed that it often looked like it was just a put up, and it's always seemed that his elevation was more important than his form in terms of success.

Carl quietly had the best pre-season of anyone IMHO. Many things looked different, and defensively he played as if he was just seeing what he could get away with. I think that's what pre-season is for, especially for young guys.

But Adelman's quote about him being our best offensive post option drew many questions from intelligent minds around here. Now that Battier has said it, I think many are scratching their heads.

Epic game last night, but Luis seemed average going for 14/14 (or whatever), Brooks had an off game, Ariza too. Andersen gave us nothing and Budinger couldn't play. And we should have beaten the Lakers.

I think RA is purposefully trying to get Luis his groove back, which is vital, but Carl should have played last night until he fouled out.

I, unlike most here, am very happy with Scolandry with Yao in the lineup. The one thing about Carl that concerns me is he's a different player when he's had a slight ankle sprain or a banged knee.

But his game is under-valued here.

12. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Maybe. He couldn't hang defensively. Bynum drew an and-1 on him in the forth quarter and Chuck immediately checked into the scorer's table. I can't say that was a bad sub. Maybe he could have come in for Scola, but who knows what would have happened?

13. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yeah, that's why I said he refined his hook over the summer. He's definitely had the jump hook, but only now is when it's become efficient. The way he calmly took the ball (in a two-point game with under a minute left) and just backed Odom down, elevated and hit it... clutch, sure, but also so smooth. No way he does that two years ago.

Pretty much agree on all points - concerns me as well that the slightest injuries tend to zap his explosion and aggressiveness. Even so, his game is definitely undervalued. When he gets the ball within six feet, he's dynamic. If he can add moves to get there without someone else having to set him up (he looks promising in this area so far), he's incredibly valuable.

14. declan32001

declan32001 Member

I had to throw this in, my spouse told me to log on here last night after the game and praise Hayes. I explained it would be redundant. But doesn't it seem, that more than anyone else, he is who this team currently is?

Bloody Phil Jackson saying in the post game interview that he didn't think they had an advantage with Bynum with Chuck on the floor. Last year he said that he expected Bynum to be an all-star soon.

Chuck needs money coming in from alternate sources, noone in the world would agree he's worth MLE money, but he deserves a hell of a lot more than 70% of the guys in the NBA.

15. cjtaylorpt

cjtaylorpt Member

We couldn't get him the ball.

16. Bigdaddy210121

Yeah because he was on the bench.... :mad:

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Great to see that addition.

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Shiny.. did you tweet this? I must have missed it! :(

Carl looked very good offensively last night.. now if we can just get him to improve on defensive rotations (along with Ariza and Scola) I would be a hap-hap-happy camper! :)

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Because he was on the bench.

Seriously, trade Landry. There is no point in having a guy as red hot as he was in the fourth quarter sitting on the bench. I'd rather see the guy play on a team that plays to win the game than watch Adleman make a poor decision like that again. But I will watch it again...because I am a fan.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Honestly. He reminds me of Kenny Thomas.
    [Not saying he should get KT MONEY]

When KT was here. . . he developed well.
    Landry will probably surpass him [better height and athleticism]

Rocket River