1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

what are YOUR expectations of Ming?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dream2franchise, Jul 4, 2002.

1. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I dont care how many points he scores. 8-10 rpg would be nice along with 3-4 bpg.

2. alaskansnowman

I think it all depends on how much foul trouble MIng gets into. If he can stay out of foul trouble and play good minutes, it's not inconceivable for him to average, say 14 pts a game. He should be able to get half of those points off of jumpers alone, and then when you factor in the additional points (dunks) created from Steve and Cat's penetration, he can average 14 a game without much trouble.

I believe however, that Ming WILL get into foul trouble early on, but will definately adjust to it because he is a smart player. Also the fact that he doesnt really have to jump in order to block a shot will also help him stay out of foul trouble, unlike our good friend Cato.

I honestly won't really care how many points he scores as long as he provides some kind of presence inside. Snagging rebounds and providing some much needed <b>INTIMIDATION</b> in the inside is exactly what we need (and consequently what we were missing last year). If Ming can provide this, then he's worth the #1 pick to us.

3. trifle3A

trifle3A Member

if they go to him he will probably average 20 pts and 10 rebs
    3 blks
    from what i saw he cant be guarded facing and pretty good back to the basket he will draw alot of fouls and the jump shot is pretty good and he will get alot of garbage points off pentration off rebs I just dont see the him getting into foul trouble like smits because he moves much better than even duncan
    and there aren't any good centers in the league I see rudy changing the offense
    last night they showed highlights i see alot of patrick ewing in him all those worried about him getting pushed around who will push him around besides shaq and malone he has smarts and skillz to still be very effective believe it

4. UT Baller

UT Baller Member

Some of you are smoking crack! There is NO WAY that Ming averages double figures in points or rebounds next year. I really don't see Ming averaging more than 20 mins this year and few of those minutes will be spent as a primary or even secondry scorer. Look for Ming to pull an EG next year, lots of pick and fades or I could see Ming used as a safety valve with the clock running down at the top of the key.

5. mac.c

mac.c Member

Im sorry guy's, but for a#1 overall pick not to come in and at least score 10 points a game should be could considerd a blown pick.

6. redao

redao Member

SHAWN BRADLEY 'S ROOKIE STATS:
    28 MINUTES 10.3 POINTS 6.2 RB 3 BLOCKS PER GAME.
    (IS BRADLEY A BUST?)

AT LEAST MING CAN DO THESE OR BETTER

7. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I don't think Yao Ming will get more than 24 minutes per game as a rookie. We don't want his year-round commitments to chew him up.

In those 24 minutes, I'd say 9 points, 7 rebounds (and kick-a$$ outlet passes from those boards), 1.75 blocks, 1.5 assists.

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I dont think Ming will get more than 24 mins/game during the regular season either. He has been playing all year round in CBA and international tournaments. Rudy will not wear Ming down during the regular season. We need him for the playoff.

#28 RocketForever, Jul 7, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2002
  9. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

10. Astro101

Astro101 Member

Coming off the bench, I see maybe 12-15 points and 6 rebounds with some blocked shots.

11. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

I think he'll be the intimidated...at least to start.

It'll be funny to hear the apologists go to work if he goes Kwame Brown to start the season.

12. daoshi

daoshi Contributing Member

Ming's stats will depend on how much play time he gets, and how Rudy will use him. If he can stay on the court for 20--25 mins, I don't see any problem for him to produce 15pt/8rb/3blk/5asi a game.

Offensively, Ming will have no problem to score points. He gets most of his points from 15ft shot jumps. I just don't see any NBA centers can defend him 15ft away from the basket.

Ming has some very good high-post moves, where he sets up around ft line. He is comfortable with both face & back to the basket, and shoot deadly from that spot. Most centers will stay in the paint, let him shoot it; He is too quick & too tall for almost every centers in the league.

His problem will be at the defensive end, where he will be challenged by much stronger centers, and the fast pace of the game. I can see him get 4/5 fouls in 15 mins, get pushed around by opposite centers. I also can see him have problem in getting back on defense.

All in all, I see Ming has a better career than Rick Smit, which will make him the 2nd best center in the league right now behind only Shaq. The 1st year will be the most important year for Ming. If Rudy and his teamates be patient with him, bring him along slowly, he will surprise many people in this league. On the other hand, if the Rockets want instant help from him, put too much pressure on him, I can see him no more than a Bradely.

13. Stevie Francis

i still think he will put up gasol like numbers.

14. vtkp99

vtkp99 Contributing Member

you are wrong b....., shut up and listen ok

15. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

He will championships. He will score 13 pts 10 rebounds 3 blocks his rookie year. He will be an All-Star by his third season. (Maybe before)

16. Sane

Sane Member

I never really thought of it, but I think at some point in his career, he will average a high number of assists. I dont know, I just see it in him.

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Shawn Bradley came into the league when center play was very,very strong. Hakeem,Ewing, and Robinson were in their primes and other all stars like Mourning and Shaq were dominant then. Bradley was a guy who hadn't played basketball in 2 yrs and came in the league and avg 10 pts 6 rebs and 3 blks. For all intensive purposes, Ming with his international experience and skill/ strength up grade over Bradley should be able to do better. 14pts 8 rebs and 2 blks shouldn't be out of the question at all. He should d a little less than Gasol because Gasol team was so sorry but will and should be a bigger factor than most think.

18. alaskansnowman

I'm sure Ming might be a bit overwhelmed but he does have international experience and has gone against the best NBA players before. Also, if he just stands in 1 place and puts his arms up and maybe jumps a few inches off the ground - that should provide enough intimidation to cause a miss. :)

19. jump shooter

jump shooter Contributing Member

I'll say 16 pts, 55%+ from the field, 9 boards, 2.5 tap outs and 4.5 fouls per game. He is to talented offensively at 7'5 to not have a huge impact right away. And towards the latter part of the season when he gets rid of his sea legs, I would'nt be surprised to see Yao have several 30+ point games against players like Jerome James, Ostertag, Dampier, Nesterovic, Tsakalidis, Big Country and Nene Hilario.

20. 3-a-charm

3-a-charm Member

I sincerely hope he does really well; my confidence is in his intelligence. I am more concerned about unrealistic expectations, adjustment problems (home sick), and the constant night after night assaults of players trying to one up him. We will soon find out how "tuff" he is. His will to succeed will make him a fan favorite. If he tries hard, works hard, and shows emotion, the rocket fans will love him the first year and overlook low production nights. Best Wishes Yao, give it all you have!:)