1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Final roster spot - Pops or Dorsey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Oct 16, 2009.

Tags:
?

If the final roster spot comes down to Dorsey or Pops, who do you keep?

1. Dorsey - guaranteed contract, dominant summer league

13.2%
  2. Pops - More NBA experience, and not as prone to fouling

86.8%
  1. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

At this point, I'll have Sikma suit up.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I'm serious. Name a player you want on this roster, that is attainable, instead of Pops.

I'm trying to think of a non-stiff, 7-footer out there that we wouldn't have to give up valued assets for.

3. albuster

albuster Member

Better yet, just leave it to the GM to find that player. He has more access to data and has assistants to help him. Yeah easy does it.

4. BetterThanEver

For free agents, I want Fryed instead of Andersen. Frye is a better rebounder and would have fit Adelman's style of shooting big men. He was available for about the same price during free agency.

Giving assets to get assets isn't bad. As for trade, I haven't looked at each team's trade situation and salary cap problems to fully understand it.

5. durvasa

According to the analysis in Pro Basketball Prospectus, Frye projects to have a rebounding% of 13% this year, while Andersen's is 12.5%. Not that big a difference. For Cs, average rebounding is typically around 16%, so I wouldn't expect either to be very good.

6. TriCkz

TriCkz Member

I think we could have brought Frye for a one year contract but.. I don't think he would have signed for what Anderson signed for.. He is looking to get a huge pay day.

7. durvasa

Good point. Not much point signing players to 1-year contracts this season. The whole idea is to build towards next year.

8. BetterThanEver

DA hasn't even show passable defense so far. Frye has passable defense.

9. kwng

kwng Member

Pop seems to be more established. Dorsey is still learning.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

That's an issue. You won't get a decent big, one that can play average defense and rebound, without giving up something (unless of course you are a contender like the Spurs). That's the reason we haven't found one. And, at this point I don't think Morey cares to find one. He is going to hold on to our assets in hopes that we can use them on a big time player. This season is irrelevant.

Maybe we could've offered some vets like Drew Gooden or Jamal Magloire better contract deals but I honestly think Morey is more worried about how any big we get fits with Yao than how much they help us win this year.

11. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Both Pops and Dorsey have played better than Cook.

12. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

But Cook will be kept because of his contract. Not because of his talent.

Although, I do think he could be more effective than Dorsey.

13. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

Easy decision, I like POPS.

14. AXG

AXG Member

I'm not really impressed with any of the non-guaranteed players on the roster + Dorsey and Cook. If I had to choose one from each group, I'd pick Dorsey and Pops simply because of their size.

15. BetterThanEver

Channing Frye will have more points and rebounds than either Dorsey, Pops, or David Andersen.

16. RedDragon01

RedDragon01 Member

Size seems to be heavily over-rated on this board.

Manute Bol? Shawn Bradley? Chuck Hayes being a top inside defender?

The point is that height doesn't determine how good a player you are. How good a player you are determines how good a player you are.

I'm just sayin'. ;)

17. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Pops, no doubt.

Actually I remember SwoLy-D calling me out on a bet but never coming thru when I responded to her, my pick would have been Pops as to who would make the roster over.... Romel Beck???

Where is that guy anyway, SwoLy!? :p

18. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Cook has negative impact. Remember the playoffs? Also, I saw Cook play better at the end of the last game but that is the only time I've seen him make a positive impact. Dorsey makes mistakes but he also makes contributions.

Contracts can be bought out.

19. durvasa

Well if he ends up playing more minutes because the Suns are using a more shallow bigs rotation, I should hope so. That doesn't mean he's a more effective player.

Regarding the defense, obviously the Rockets are expecting Andersen to be a better defender over the course of the season than he's shown in preseason.

#139 durvasa, Oct 19, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2009
  20. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I just can't see Anderson starting unless, Hayes is injured early in the season, given what I have seen of him defensively. Maybe around late December or early January but much like Scola, he will get a lot of calls going against him over dumb mistakes.