1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week 2

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Lil Pun, Sep 16, 2009.

Tags:
  1. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I've already forgotten but was the Oakland player's knee down ?

If anything, Jacoby's knee was down before he entered the endzone. Was a catch for sure..

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

thanks for not minding :)

i don't THINK joe montana gets those 80's broncos teams to a super bowl.

the 86 points thing kinda underscores my point about just how empty those teams were aside from elway.

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Disagreed. I'd still take Brady over anybody in a playoff game or 4th quarter scenario.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Defense was a problem for Manning in 2006, 2004, and 1999. His team still made the playoffs, even won a Super Bowl with a defense that gave up 375 rushing yards in one game. Being dead last in rushing yards allowed and per carry. 30th in rushing touchdowns allowed. Everyone knows the Colts can almost never stop the run.

Also, the Saints tend to score points when it is too late, especially in the games they have to win. They don't have problems, most of time. But, against better defense, they are always slow down enough to lose, handily.

The Panthers, Bucs, and Falcons do have respectable defenses, but they aren't in the same class with the Steelers, Ravens, Titans, or Patriots.

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

It kind of does, I was just trying to point out that it's not as much as a accomplishment if you get to the super bowl and get completely man handle, and i'm not just saying that, because my 94 Chargers getting destroyed by Steve young's 49er's :(

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The Louis Murphy catch?

His knees were down, his rear end hit the ground and finally his elbow hits the ground and the ball still didn't dislodge from his arm.

The ref said he didn't maintain possession of the ball even when he hit the ground 3 times and didn't lose the ball until he was coming up off the ground.

Still livid about that call.

I would have accepted that ruling but then the refs go ahead and award Jacoby Jones a TD on a play where he clearly lost the ball after hitting the ground.

7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Again misconception, go back and look at Manning's terrible record in the playoffs in outdoor stadiums.

Overall
    Manning: 6 wins - 7 losses
    Brady: 11 wins - 2 losses
    Roethlisberger: 6 wins - 2 losses

Tom Brady is by far the best QB in any weather conditions. Impressive undefeated record at home in Foxboro. Has the "tuck rule" game against Oakland as probably the most memorable weather driven playoffs game of the last decade. Don't get me wrong Manning is an all-time great QB but his inability to win in cold weather stadiums is just a detrimental to his career. This weakness has cost him potential Superbowl rings. People can say whatever they want now after the way Brady has struggled lately, but during the apex of their rivalry in 2004 / 2005, Manning was shut down embarrassed by the Patriots. Like that 2004 AFC Championship game where Manning threw 4 interceptions, was sacked 4 times and had a safety. Then the following year in 2005 Manning again lost 20-3 in a snow storm at Gillette Stadium. Peyton had 2 legit shots at the heavyweight title and got knocked out cold. The only salvation came in that 2007 win against Brady at RCA Dome in a close game after which the Colts went on to win the Superbowl. Still Brady has the edge and given a choice to win a game in any weather condition, I would still pick Brady to get the job done.

Manning:
    2001 - Loss - RCA Dome vs Tennessee
    2003 - Loss - Giants Stadium vs New York (J) (41-0) :eek:
    2004 - Win - RCA Dome vs Denver
    2004 - Win - Arrowhead vs Kansas City
    2004 - Loss - Gillette Stadium vs New England
    2005 - Win - RCA Dome vs Denver
    2005 - Loss - Gillette Stadium vs New England
    2006 - Loss - RCA Dome vs Pittsburg
    2007 - Win - RCA Dome vs Kansas City
    2007 - Win - M&T Bank Field vs Baltimore
    2007 - Win - RCA Dome vs New England
    2008 - Loss - RCA Dome vs San Diego
    2009 - Loss - Qualcomm vs San Diego

Brady:
    2002 - Win - Foxboro Stadium vs Oakland (Blizzard)
    2002 - Win - Heinz Field vs Pittsburg
    2004 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs Tennessee
    2004 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs Indianapolis
    2005 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs Indianapolis (Snow Storm)
    2005 - Win - Heinz Field vs Pittsburg (2nd coldest playoffs game ever)
    2006 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs Jacksonville
    2006 - Loss - Mile High vs Denver
    2007 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs New York (J)
    2007 - Win - Qualcomm vs San Diego
    2006 - Loss - RCA Dome vs Indianapolis
    2008 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs Jacksonville
    2008 - Win - Gillette Stadium vs San Diego

Roethlisberger:
    2005 - Win - Heinz Field vs New York (J)
    2005 - Loss - Heinz Field vs New England
    2006 - Win - Paul Brown Stadium vs Cinncinati
    2006 - Win - RCA Dome vs Indianapolis
    2006 - Win - Mile High vs Denver
    2008 - Loss - Heinz Field vs Jacksonville
    2009 - Win - Heinz Field vs San Diego
    2009 - Win - Heinz Field vs Baltimore

1 person likes this.
  8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

You want to know the funny story about that, the Chargers swept the Chiefs that year and beat Dolphins (who beat KC in the playoffs) after being down by 16.

9. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

One of the best games ever. The infamous Kellen Winslow picture.

[​IMG]

10. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

No, I was talking about the 1994 team.

11. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

http://www.phillyd.tv/2009/09/22/hot-girl-gets-kicked-out-of-lions-game/

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BroKxVMsoSU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BroKxVMsoSU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

12. baller4life315

Wow, that was absolutely priceless.

Things I love: the clutch camera work, the boob grab at the 2:00 mark, the bald guy in the front row that had seen enough, both girls crying....the list goes on.

13. Major

Major Member

Have you considered that a possible reason Brady and Big Ben have such impressive outdoor records is that the vast majority of those games are home games where they were the better seed and thus the better team, whereas when Manning plays in outdoor stadiums, it's when they are the worse seed and not the better team?

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I watched that earlier and I wonder what started the whole thing. Kind of upset at the guys for continually taunting the girls after the authoritities showed up. Just shut up, get out the way and let the guys do their job so you can get back to the game.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Roethlisberger's first super bowl involved road games every week.

Sadly, I know 2 of Brady's Super Bowls involved going into Pitt and winning (although the first was a Bledsoe victory, even though Brady started... i think.) :'(

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

word...plus that drunk girl was kind of hot, in a drunken kind of way...would definitely hit...

17. baller4life315

According to the link both girls were trashed before the game even started. Kept drinking throughout the course of the then one of them accidentally spilled beer on the people in front of them. When the people in front of them took offense to that and told them to sit down, I guess the hot trainwreck dumped a beer on the guy. The rest is history....

18. Major

Major Member

I'm not suggesting they only won at home. But Brady's "outdoor" record is 11-2. He's 8-0 at home and 3-2 on the road. I don't think the 3-2 is really enough to made any kind of "wow, he's great on the road" judgment one way or another.

For their entire careers, Manning's outdoor QB rating is 12 pts lower than his indoor rating. Brady's is 13 pts lower than his indoor rating. And Big Ben's is 14. All of the QB's do better in domes than outdoors, which is expected and probably the case for almost all QBs.

19. Major

Major Member

(I meant it's not enough to make any kind of "he's great outdoors" judgment)