1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Teeth whitening

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Ari, Sep 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Ari

Ari Member

What's the cheapest way to do it? I do not have dental coverage of any type so this would be entirely out of pocket. I saw a deal at Brightsmile here in Houston for $185, presumably a one session thing. Is this a good deal? I know a lot of dentists use some dirty tricks to up the cost of the procedure, mainly by making teeth whitening a multi-session thing so they can get paid more. Some require you to do x-rays and other preliminary work before the whitening session. For obvious reasons, I want to avoid all that non sense. I just want to make an appointment for one session, go in and get it all done one time without having to worry about any of the other frivolous work they try to get you to do.

Any suggestions in the Houston area?

2. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Your probably know this, but Crest Whitestrips are a cheaper route, depending on what shape your teeth are currently in.

I use them twice a year...nice pearly whites here.

As for a medical procedure, I had a friend who went 3 times before she had the desired results. It was expensive.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i remember trying out a new dentist many years ago in the wall street area......i went in for a regular 6 month checkup and cleaning, which was covered by my goldman sachs insurance plan.......i walked in, expecting to be seated in the examination chair, but was instead directed to the dentist's cushy office.....where he proceeded to sit me down face-to-face and ask "so what all would you like to accomplish today".....

that's when i knew this guy was looking to rack up the bill as high as possible :D

i ended up just getting the exam and teeth cleaning.....but even that cost $454.....i didn't have to pay any of it, but i never went back to that guy anyways....my current dentist is pretty honest, but he's the first of about a dozen over the years.....yes, i guess i'm an anti-dentite! :D

4. Ari

Ari Member

Yeah, that won't work for me. I need something a bit more intensive to get the results I want. Years of not taking care of my teeth, combined with a not so great diet, have taken their toll. So I am going to need some professional work for sure. I am just trying to not get screwed.

Here is the Britesmiles coupon I was referring to:

http://www.groupon.com/deals/brite-...mp;utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

Thumbs up/down? Any experiences with this vendor?

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

are you certain there's no cavities or other problems to take care of first before the whitening?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The whitestrips believe it or not are superior to the $200-300 dental whitenings. Dead serious.

7. Fatty FatBastard

You do realize that deal is over, right?

8. bob718

bob718 Contributing Member

Crest Premium is good, though they made my teeth sensitive to hot and cold for a couple of weeks. :D

9. Ari

Ari Member

Yeah, I just did. But that is fine, I was looking over various dental plans that I could purchase on my own and they are relatively cheap (around $120 or less for most). I am looking for a plan with free examinations and free cleanings, but most of the ones I came across on DentalPlans.com seem to only offer discounted rates. If I get free cleanings every six months then the plan pretty much will pay for itself.

Any suggestions?

10. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

i gargle bleach couple times a week. bright white teeth... plus nice lil feeling afterward.

11. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

If you are a heavy coffee drinker, then I would advise against using OTC whiteners. The are found to be ineffective for heavy coffee and tea drinkers. I would suggest getting a in-office whitening, usually costs around $200 or so. OTC whiteners are good, but they make take a long time and if done incorrectly can lead to irreversible enamel damage, which may expose the underlying dentin. So if you go the OTC route, make sure you know what you are doing. Also, be sure to have a deep cleaning done before hand!

12. htownballa23

htownballa23 Contributing Member

I know the manager at MySmile in Baybrook mall. If you wanna go there I can get you a discount.

13. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Cleverly designed, "I work for Goldman Sachs" post, eh?

Jk..(I wish I was smart enough to work there.)

I use those teeth cleaning gel trays they sell at the grocery store for like 20 bucks a box. They work quite well.

14. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Zoom whitening my friend.
    Got mine done a few weeks ago, they had to fill in a few cavities first, but man does "Zoom" whitening work. I smoke and drink coke all day and my teeth are relatively white. It included a trey, molded to my teeth and some take home whitening formula. I haven't used it yet(lazy), but I can imagine they'll get whiter and whiter once I do.

Crest white strips didn't work for me. It takes too long and is a hassle for the results it gave me.

15. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Per Steve Harvey... baking soda... Arm & Hammer on a tooth brush with a little water.

Brightest toofies you ever did have.

16. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

<br>
    If people would regularly brush the back of their teeth, use floss, and use baking soda every now and then, they would probably have white teeth. Of course, this is in addition to brushing 2-3 times a day...

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Worked for them. Maybe it can help you date a rich African American athlete too

[​IMG]

18. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

really really bad for your teeth

19. AggieDentist

AggieDentist Member

what are the prices, and what kinda discount could you get?

20. garthomps

garthomps Contributing Member