1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Statments from Wang

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by r-fan-since-81, Jun 24, 2002.

1. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Posted on Mon, Jun. 24, 2002

To Wang, 'D' means defense
    By DWAIN PRICE
    Star-Telegram Staff Writer

AP PHOTO

Mavericks center, Wang Zhizhi

In seclusion for more than a month, center Wang Zhizhi finally surfaced Sunday and gave his first extended interview since the Mavericks' season ended May 13.

During a telephone interview from Los Angeles with the Star-Telegram, Wang refuted speculation that he might be defecting to the United States.

"I'm not defecting, and I don't plan to defect," Wang said. "My main goal is to get better so I can help China to achieve the highest standing in the World Championships.

"I really stayed here because I want to work on rebounding and defense, so I can really make an impact next season."

Wang also said he defied two letters from the Chinese Basketball Association - ordering his return to China so he can practice with the Chinese national team - because he simply wanted to stay in America and improve his game against better competition.

Wang said CBA officials were not upset with his decision to stay in America this summer, and he never felt his life was in danger because he defied their demands.

"They wanted me to come back, but it was important for me to stay here to improve my basketball skills," Wang said through interpreter Simon Chan, who also works as his adviser. "All of the Chinese people like me."

An only child whose parents still live in China, Wang said he hasn't thought about repercussions from the CBA concerning the two missed deadlines.

"Right now, I'm just thinking about improving the different aspects of my game," he said. "I just want to use the summer to take advantage of those opportunities."

Wang plans to join other members of the Chinese national team when they come to America in late August to prepare for the World Championships, which will be held Aug. 29-Sept. 8 in Indianapolis. He also said he would be surprised if he doesn't receive a warm reception from his Chinese coaches and teammates.

"I don't foresee any problems," Wang said. "If every player in China improves their game, the overall team will get better.

"I still have some things I need to discuss with the CBA, but most likely I'll return to China before the NBA season starts."

Mavs officials repeatedly tried to contact Wang after he refused to return to China when the season ended. The Mavs had an agreement with the CBA that said Wang must return home once their season was over, so they tried to hold up their end of the bargain.

Wang said he has "a whole bunch of coaches" taking him through two-a-day workouts in Los Angeles, so he felt no need to contact the Mavs of his whereabouts.

"I plan on being in touch with Dallas real soon," Wang said. "I'm doing very well here, and what I'm working on now is what the coaches what me to work on, and that's rebounding and playing defense."

Wang, who said he plans to play in at least one of the four NBA-sanctioned summer leagues next month, refused to say where he is working out in Los Angeles, or if those workouts pitted him against any NBA players.

Wang said rumors of him getting married this summer to an American, thus making him a U.S. citizen, are untrue. He added that there's no problems with his visa, saying he knows when he eventually goes home, the CBA will permit him to come back and play in the NBA.

"I don't feel there's going to be a problem," Wang said. "I'm just so consumed with practicing and training, and the workouts are very tiring."

Wang plans to watch Wednesday's NBA Draft, where Yao Ming, a teammate on the Chinese national team, is expected to be the drafted No. 1 overall by the Houston Rockets. Wang expects Yao will be a major contributor in the NBA.

"I'm very, very happy for him," Wang said. "It's a very proud moment for Chinese basketball."

Last week, the Mavs made a qualifying offer of $737,000 to Wang, who is a restricted free agent. Under NBA rules, that means the Mavs have 15 days to match any offer Wang receives up to the mid-level exception of $4.5 million.

A 1999 second-round draft pick by the Mavs, Wang hopes to re-sign with Dallas.

"It really depends on the situation with the other teams, and on the money," he said. "Talk to [Mavs owner] Mark Cuban."

Asked if those secret workouts in Los Angeles have him primed to take on Lakers center Shaquille O'Neal, Wang, while laughing, said: "No problem."

Dwain Price, (817) 390-7760 ice@star-telegram.com

2. C-Kompii

C-Kompii Member

Mystery and misconception solved. So who said Wang's defection greatly affected Yao's chances of coming to NBA?

-G'day-

3. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

In order to be allowed to come here, Wang agreed himself to return to China during the off-season. He obviously hasn't lived up to that agreement.

I'm certainly not faulting his moral latitude in this regard, but I'm not going to take anything he says about this matter at face value either. He sais all the "right" things, but I don't think anything is solved by his quotes.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

And clearly this has had a major impact on the Yao Ming negotiations.

DaDakota

5. redao

redao Member

Rumor of Wang 's defect was Made in China, wrapped with popular American style political prejudice, sold by Dallas and NY.

It did real damage to Wang, maybe Yao too.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I didn't get to see much of Wang during the season and just briefly during the play offs.

How good is he and what position is he best suited for? My thought is, while he may not really have enough skills for for the Rocks to spend the MLE on him, he could be worth a lot as a teammate for our new #1. Wang was always ahead of Yao in China and he looks up to him. Wang has had at least a little experience of the NBA life and could guide him. \

Besides, all NBA stars need a Posse.....Yo Yo Yo..over at Yao's crib we got Wang in da house, we got Windandsea in da house,
    Heech be hangin .....Jackie Chan and Jet Li be in talkin projects..Mattress Mac be bringing a eight foot recliner...

GP

7. cwww

cwww Member

Sooner or later the CBA will understand that Wang's decision to stay back in US for training is for the good of Chinese Basketball...

I just hope that the CBA (or Chinese Government) will allow the same thing for Yao Ming in offseasons in the future when there are no international tournaments...

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Gene: Dallas will match any mid-level exception offer. We'd need cap space to get Wang.

As for Wang's defection: he's blowing a lot of smoke.

1) He says he's not defecting, but he doesn't want to say where he is (to any more precise location than Los Angeles), who his coaches are or who he is practicing with. Why is he maintaining that secrecy?

2) The Chinese have sent him not one but 2 letters, asking him to return. They've never said, we talked to Wang and he's right, he should stay in LA and improve with better competition.

3) He is improving the elements of his game Dallas thinks he should improve, not China. To get PT for the Mavs, he needs better rebounding and defense. It might be helpful for the Chinse team, but I think it's fairly obvious which of his masters he is trying to please.

4) What is a better recipe for success when you've got 2 months to practice: (a) working on your individual skills or (b) integrating yourself with your team and learning their systems? Basketball is a team sport. He might come and tear up the boards for the Chinese, but what good would it do if he can't handle their offensive sets or defensive rotations? He's hurting his National Team's interests by not returning.

[rant]In conclusion, Wang is a punk. He's always had me in his corner because I thought it'd be great to see some diversity in the NBA ranks. But I don't like to see anyone forsaking his country in this way. I know some people here hope that Yao would defect so we wouldn't need to worry about unreasonable demands from China. I hope he does China proud and represents them well both in the NBA and on his national team.[/rant]

9. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Whoa you beat me to it. Great read r-fan-since-81. Thanks

10. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

If that interview was conducted in Engish, he shows great English speaking skills. He also showed he's a dedicated player and I wouldn't mind the Rockets picking him up.

11. Dubious

Juan, why would anyone who has tasted freedom, especially the oppulent excesses of Mark Cuban and the Dallas Mavs ever want to go back to the rigid, stringent world of Communist China.

Hanging in LA, working out at Gold's Gym, hooping with other NBA players, dating the starlets versus 3 hour practices , a diet of rice and fish, subjugating ones self for the glory of the masses. Man, you would have to threaten my Mama to get me to go back.

Another question, Wouldn't Wang be worth more to the Rockets than to the Mavs. For us he brings added value for our future star and a completion of our marketing stategy to a billion people.
    For the Mavs , he is just another bench player and a second banana in marketing to asians.
    GP

12. JuanValdez

Gene, you essentially concede my point that Wang is semi-defecting from China. I'm guessing you think it's ok, since it's China, and China is a horrible oppressor that no one would want to have anything to do with. I think you give the country short shrift, though I won't go into it here. I'll just be content to say I myself don't look kindly upon defection, especially from people who are treated so well in their home countries.

As for the Rockets signing Wang: he might be more valuable to us than he would be to the Mavs. But, the only relevant issue is whether he's worth $4.5 million to Cuban. If he's worth less than that to him, we have a shot; if not we don't. Unless you'd like to trade for him?

13. redao

redao Member

Another typical MORON playing stink politics.

14. JuanValdez

I'm not even sure who you are referring to. Is it "stink politics" to call China a horrible oppressor or to reproach someone for assuming that it is a horrible oppressor. Please clarify because I'm not sure if I should be offended or not. :)

15. Dubious

Ok Juan, you choose.

You can have a cool pad, money, beautiful women, work out with the best atheletes in the world, all the best food and drink you want, any entertainment you want at your finger tips.

Or you can sleep on a cot, eat dorm food, get 3 channels of state controled TV and no mater how you succeed you will be seen as second rate because you are not playing in the best league in the world.

Communism is a noble experiment in providing for the greater good, but it fails due the selfishly flawed nature of man. Those with greater abilities will always want greater rewards. I guess you think Wang owes some sort of allegence to Communist China because fate had him birthed inside it's borders. I think men only owe allegence to the ideas they believe in. If this country could physically allow it, what per cent of the world's population would
    "defect" here?

GP

16. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Ok, this is pure speculation...

But what if China purposely have Wang stay in U.S. to purposely better posture their position in the Yao Ming negotiation? From everything I've read about Wang's possible defection, it is totally possible that Wang has been purposely placed in U.S. until negotiations are over.

Don't make a mess over this, this is just one of the many conspiracy theories that I have boiled up.

17. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Believe me, it doesn't cost too much to live like a king in China. With Wang Zhi Zhi playing in the NBA, he no doubt have enough money to bling bling it in China. I hope this will dispel the notion that Wang is escaping China to live a better life.

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

The cost of living in the big cities in China are pretty high. And concidering the the Chinese players in the US have to give up so much of their salary, I don't think any of them have it made just yet.

http://www.finfacts.com/costofliving.htm

Beijing and Shanghai cost more than New York!

#18 micah1j, Jun 24, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2002
  19. redao

redao Member

Because you offended at least 20% population of this globe.
    I know you will never understand this. I have to tell you 1.3 billion Chinese deeply love our country, China. We are proud to be a Chinese. I think China never horriblly oppressed you. So please shut the fuking up. Chinese pretty know where our oppresor or enemy is. When you begin to assume something, please:
    1, use your brain, 2, use your brain like a human being.3,Politics is stink. Remember that.

You give me a clue why 911 should happen. To some degree, USA is like North Korea, civil revolution era in China, religious Islam goverment. You people insist too much on politics imagination. Why not open your mind and eyes to learn something, instead of repeating or defaming for ever?

Enough said. I know nothing can cure this sickness.