1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McGrady Expects Return to Elite Status

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheGreat, Jul 30, 2009.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

he said "sooner rather than later" in the foxnews.com interview, so i think december-ish.

2. Trini Rocket

Trini Rocket Member

Whoops my bad. You know I always used to wonder how people could mix up the luxury tax and salary cap and here I am doing it. But I do think what I am proposing is still possible though it would be a lot more risky and difficult than what I was thinking before.

From what I can gather, the Rockets salary at the end of next season would be around $45 million with Tmac's, Barry's and Cook's expiring contracts. There are also some team options as well. Also based on this year's salary cap I believe the salary cap for next year would be around $60 million so that leaves around $15 million to play with plus whatever team options there are which could add a couple more million. I would admit though that it's very risky as we don't have nearly as much money as I had initially anticipated.

3. McGreat1

McGreat1 Member

its funny when the pics of his training w/ TG first came out in another thread,guys were like saying "ah this is a fake etc...an obvious photoshop"blah blah blah....HAHA.....

now the vid and interview came out and shut them up...and thats the same thing i believe of whats gonna happen when TMAC comes back and prove the nay sayers wrong...

so when he comes back to elite status..the rockets could be a potentionally dangerous 6-8 place team in the playoffs if they make it..i just hope that they could all blend w/eachother and execute RA's offense consistently.

4. Marcus Bryant

Marcus Bryant Member

I wish T-Mac would return to where he used to be, but my guts aren't approval at all.

5. Yaozza

Yaozza Member

Tracy was NEVER an will NEVER be an elite!! To me an elite is someone who has at least played for USA basketball, been to the NBA finals, or won a NBA championship. Scoring titles does not make a player elite. Also making over 20 mil a year does not make a player elite. If you consider Tracy an elite then what are Kobe, DWade, Lebron,....SUPER HUMAN ELITES? When was Tracy ever on elite status??

6. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

[​IMG]

7. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

TMac was an elite player in that his stats and potential drew a lot of attention and sold a lot of jerseys. He was looked at as a superstar who could make a huge difference on a team, who defenses were forced to adjust to and consistently double-team. He had an undeniable impact on the way the game was played for his squad, because his sheer athleticism and skills made him one of the elite "talents" in the game.

Now, fast forward to today. He hasn't done jack for USA basketball, hasn't done jack in the NBA playoffs. He went about surgery all the wrong way, pissed off his team and his city. His numbers were dramatically lower for the season, a season in which an inferior player, Ron Artest, is ironically heralded for getting the team past the first round.

No, Tracy is clearly not an "elite player", but he WAS an "elite talent". The implications of the thread title is that he will return to that "elite talent" level; not that he will come back to the court with gold medals and accolades. He was an elite talent.

Of course, we're not discussing whether I think he'll get back to that level of ability.... which I dont.

8. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

So is Darko Milicic elite? He fits in the 2 categories you were talking about in reaching the finals and winning a title.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wasnt that the year that they didnt win gold in the world championships that started the decline of usa basketball?

10. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

He used to be REALLY elite but his injuries have derailed him.

How can you not be elite when you once could make an arguement of a Tracy vs Kobe discussion.

Obviously you can't now but many people (analysts, fans) thought McGrady would be or was better then Kobe.

11. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

'McGrady expects to return to elite status'.... I wish he would... but wish in one hand, and s*%# in the other... and see which one fills up first....

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

no. the team tmac played for dominated, but it wasn't the world championships, just the qualifying.

1 person likes this.
  13. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

If your talking about the past when McGrady said he will be back, I understand you.

But you have to remember that Grover backed up his statements.

14. Yaozza

Yaozza Member

True Darko has been to the finals and won a championship. Fact is he never claimed to be an elite in the NBA. For someone that has been to the finals and won a championship but still not and will never be considered an elite. Where does that put Tracy? Will he be considered as a wannabe elite?

15. Yaozza

Yaozza Member

They thought wrong. Wow what a disrespect to Kobe.

16. tone-weezy

tone-weezy Member

1 person likes this.
  17. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

They didn't think wrong at the time. Again, you could of argued that he was better then Kobe at that time.

We were talking about elite and you said TMac was never elite which is wrong.

18. PigMiller

PigMiller Member

You also have to remember that last year when he took 2 weeks off to rest and recover, his trainer at the time went on tv with him to say that he was gonna come back strong and with a vengeance.

Then a few games after he comes back, he's out for the season and has surgery. So I don't care about this Grover character until my own two eyes see #3 playing the way #1 used to.

19. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

You should go cuddle with him and Artest in the showers to make him feel better.

20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Just as a fellow Clutchfan, "could of" is very bad grammar. It is "could have". Sorry. It will make your posts look more credible.