1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jonathan Feigan on The Dan Patrick Show...right now!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SWTBrent, Jun 18, 2002.

Tags:
  1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Well, I think it would be different if teams were offering Elton Brand, but from what I've heard, they aren't. So, it's been hard to get excited about a trade. Lamar Odom is no Brand, and I have serious doubts that he would even help us.

2. heech

heech Contributing Member

Is it "possible" that this is the case? Sure. It's even possible that Rudy belongs to some obscure religious cult that requires him to say the opposite of what he believes every June.

But the facts are certainly not in your favor for that theory. There've been a thousand quotes from Rudy suggesting otherwise in the past few days.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
    "I've been watching a lot of tape," Tomjanovich said. "It didn't change the way I feel. I felt very good about him."

But Tomjanovich said getting to visit with the 7-5 center for the first time, particularly after Yao's cousin Erick Zhang was called away and unavailable to translate, was the final, encouraging surprise.

"That was great," said Tomjanovich, who eventually was out on the court to almost demonstrate his points. "We had been hearing a lot of things. We started with Erick between us. But the more (Yao) and I talked, the more and more comfortable we felt. And everything I heard from his coaches is that he has a real understanding of basketball. A lot of times they will talk to him, and he will relay things to his teammates. We will not have any difficulties communicating."
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

3. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

I thought I was the only one that knew.

What was all of that obscure religious cult talk earlier? Now you're contradicting yourself.

BTW, you didn't list a '1000' quotes. Not yet anyway. You also didn't post anything that told me Rudy has much say on who drafts whom. Last year, the dork sat around asking his assts. (fine, fine, he's tired and delegates, fine, fine) if Diop going to Cleveland was 'good'. He also sat dumbfounded as the Wizard came from behind the curtain and told him that he and Carroll has just secured Eddie Griffin for him.

What did he say the next day during the press conference? "Oh, yah, we were totally after this guy, yah when I had my hands all in the trade, all over that trade yah" (paraphrase, but my point is of course that he took more ownership of the trade than was truly the case).

Les comes in and handles everything for Rudy, and goes back into the shadows. Rudy is a coach and apparently Les' front man (Rudy also burned himself out on basketball a few years ago, so I doubt that he's too argumentative). If Les told him he was getting him Odom or if he told him he was getting him Ming, he'd deal with it, regardless of his initial intuitions,,,

imho of course. ;)

4. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

"The [Rocket] players are mixed at best…"
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When Francis and Mobley become COACHES, then they can get the players THEY WANT. This is Rudy's team, not Francis's, not Mobley's.

I totally agree with you bobfinn. Francis and Mobley are both selfish and arrogant primadonnas. If they think think Odom's gonna take them to the promise land then their smoking from the same quater bag that he and Motaylor smoke from. They rather have a smoking buddy to go out with and party than needed front line help. Maybe if they weren't as narrowminded they'd realise how much better they're gonna be with Ming. Or maybe their Jelous that an Asian player is going to steal some of the spotlight. I wonder how much of this wanting a proven veteran is based on ignorance and prejudice?

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Dude, Rudy burned himself out on booze, not basketball. He needed to go to rehab. I don't think the Rockets staff trusts Rudy as much after picking Rodrick Rhodes and Jason Collier.

6. Rockets2K3

Rockets2K3 Member

I don't know what Francis and Mobley's problems are. They are going to get someone who will clog up that BIG HOLE that they have been having all last season. And also, the BIG GUY IS A GOOD SHOOTER!! Where you going to find a 7'5 player who can shoot like Ming? Give him some time....he's going to be good on this team...

7. sydmill

sydmill Member

I forgot Ming's the NBA All-Star.

And as far as players like this don't come along very often-- They don't because 100% of the time 7' 5'' players have been a bust.

Trade for Curry and that fills the whole just as well. Curry is stronger and has the potential to be great. Plus he's close to 300lbs. Ming 300 is fragile and lacks the aggressivness.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Wow, how did we go from Francis and Mobley having "mixed feelings" (because they have never seen him play or played against him), to being racist pot-heads? These guys might not be coaches, but they are NBA basketball players. They can judge talent because they see talent night in and night out 82 times a year. I bet if Ming had played some college ball, even just one year, they wouldn't be so unsure about him. The best college players always come accross NBA guys in pickup games all over the country. Before we heard about D. Miles 2 years ago, who knew him very well? Michael Jordan, because he played with him in pickup games that we only read about years after the fact. Another thing is that there is talk about how Ming needs time to develope. Imagine if your Steve Francis and you came to a team with 3 of the 50 greatest. Remember how he said he was getting ready to just distribute the ball to these guys? Suddenly, the stars go down and we put the ball in his rookie hands and told him "good luck kid." We had a losing season, but he proved himself by averaging 18 ppg and 6 apg. So how is a 2nd overall pick who did well his first year supposed to think about a #1 who might struggle for a few years? He's probably worried that Ming might turn out like Kwame Brown. We know he has the talent to be good, but in his first year he totally sucked ass. All these factors combined are probably what makes Francis worried.

9. rslay

rslay Member

Curry would be great. There's no compelling evidence that Curry is available. Despite all the rumors here, there's also no evidence that any reliable NBA veteran has been offered for the pick. This draft simply isn't as good as last year's, and the evaluation of the players seems to be getting worse, especially the big men who turned out at the Chicago weigh-in to be smaller than advertised. I really, really wish the pick could be traded for something worthwhile, but given the cap situation there weren't a lot of possibilities.
    Besides, I'm beginning to think there aren't going to be more than 2 or 3 real centers in the Western Conference in the next 8 seasons. I've heard it said that potential high school centers simply find the required physical skills boring because they all want to be like Duncan or Garnett. Combined with the lack of physical play overseas, where will true centers come from?