1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Rashard Lewis wants to retire with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ShutURBiG!, Jun 6, 2009.

1. tcadriel

tcadriel Member

I definitely agree. I couldn't believe that they passed Lewis up. Especially after they told him they were gonna take him. Personally I'd take him over all three picks that they did take. I personally have a soft spot for hometown guys. BTW he does have a fat contract but in my opinion he deserves what he got, all 110 mil. He earned it the hard way out of the second round. It wasn't his fault they decided give him the cash, would you have said no? I'd much rather him be making that money in a Rockets uniform than say,... Tracy. Maybe one day,.... just maybe he'll be back home.

That was a bad, bad day for the Rockets organization, I looked at them in a little lesser light after that.

2. Wooderson

Wooderson Member

Damn skippy!

I still shake my head over that draft. I know that at that time the "High School" players seemed like the wrong end of a bad fad, but we had freaking three first rounders. Use one on the local kid.

It wouldn't have been a pity pick. They considered Lewis to be too young and at best a project...but then they go and take a couple other 'projects' who didn't pan out at all.

I do like to see him thinking long-term, and he couldn't have picked a better "late-career" model to follow than Robert Horry. I also love that he still wants to come play for the hometown at some point. I hope that it works out for him and for us.

3. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Mirsad Turkan has a higher ceiling than Rashard Lewis. He's raw, and he has room to grow and he provides youth and athleticism.

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The Turkcan selection alone was enough reason to get rid of Dawson/Tomjonavich as the B-Ball brain trust.

I mean for god sake, you had 3 first round picks...take a ****ing flyer on the local badass.

:mad:

5. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i think the big mistake was going for turkcan, they bombed that big time....but not drafting Lewis in the first round wasn't a big mistake conisdering no other team either....and then was passed on one or two more times in the 2nd....

6. topfive

topfive CF OG

Remember how well it worked when we brought Glen Rice in after he'd aged a bit too much. :(

7. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

"Oh yeah? Thanks!"
    [​IMG]

That draft in review
    Michael Dickerson was the kind of known athletic guy "NBA ready" pick fans like, hard to screw that one up but it did NOT take Rockets doing much work.
    Turkcan kinda indicated at least they were doing some homework, in a not good way but they were looking for redeeming qualities...
    The Bryce Drew pick was just straight going back to lazy getting some obvious guy.

So Turkcan pick was the 1 pick of them being "advanced". Which a team is supposed to do, but this was the case they should been OBVIOUS like the other picks. Even the Cuttino Mobley pick was kinda a guy people have seen on TV before thing.

8. kwng

kwng Member

He can shoot and he is quite good but 5-6 years is a long time. It's way too early to even think about it.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

by your logic they wouldn't have picked up Rashard either then...he wasnt very well known back then, definitely wasn't on Tv enough to be known by the average fan...a lot of questions around him.....the turkcan pick was a typical euro pick, either a bust or pretty much a solid starter, maybe a star, but we got a bust.

10. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, it's always good to hear about players wanting to play in Houston. Talk to me in 4-5 years when that insane contract is over, though. As long as he's making that $18-24M per year you'll catch me smirking at him and that franchise from a very, VERY safe distance.

11. MD_in_Training

My sentiment for that franchise is somewhere between a gigantic facepalm and uncontrollable laughter.

12. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Hope he does and still have enough to help the Rockets win a championship like what Clyde did.

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i wanted Rashard too, and was shocked when they did not pick him up at 18. I totally understand the Dickerson pick. I have no problems with that. I could see them picking up Bryce Drew cause they needed a point guard also. And then they picked up this Turkish turd. He even paid his own ticket to sit in the crowd, and he eventually made it up to the podium.

The way I read the article, I read it is he wants to just retire here, kinda like an old person retires in Florida.

14. stangend77

stangend77 Member

agreed he has made his money i think he will come here to win championships...and come on the cheap to be close to friends and family

15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I agree on not knocking Lewis, but I'd say Alridge from Portland is an even better PF option then Lewis and has the better range in offense.

16. Classic

Classic Member

I got a friend from college who knows Rashard very well from high school and he's said that Rashard wants to play in Houston before it's all said and done. Not unresonable to imagine.

17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I'd argue that was Griffin, myself. I, along with lots of other clutchcity.com fans, were upset that they picked that Turckan guy over Lewis.

If you're going to blast Rudy and CD for that pick, though, you have to give them mucho credit for picking up Cuttino Mobley in the same draft, in the 2nd round.

Dickerson was a solid pick, he was a key piece in the Francis deal, which then led to the McGrady deal, which means we got plenty of value for that pick (or lots of headaches, depending on who's opinion you take on those guys).

As for Drew, you have to remember that he was supposed to fill a big need. Matt Maloney had proven to be a big liability and Price wasn't able to live up to the expectations they had when they brought that guy in. They badly needed a PG in the Kenny Smith mold. Olajuwon, Quitten, Barkley were supposed to provide the ISO offense, and Drew was going to be the low mistake, high percentage sharpshooter who made defenses pay when the low post guys got doubled.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

because Lewis isnt a pf, so he doesnt have a inside post game like most traditional PFs do

19. blink

blink Contributing Member

LOL @ ppl saying it was a big mistake to pass shard up like it's some expert opinion. Anybody that watched him play ball here in Houston knew he'd probably be a solid player in the NBA. And no, his 120mil contract is not justified, even though they made it to the finals (only to be eventually beaten by the lakers).

20. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If we would have drafted him we would not have also drafted Yao.