1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I agree on one thing

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MemphisX, Jun 5, 2002.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL ... the only way the Grizzlies get LeBron James next year is with their own #1 pick, if they win the lottery. If the Rockets do end up in the lottery again and by some amazing repeat stroke of luck get the top pick again, you can bet it's not going to Memphis. The Rockets could overcompensate a team, if needed, to get slot #13 and fulfill that obligation - and they would do just that if the opportunity cost of not doing it was losing LeBron James.

<b><a href="http://www.clutchcity.net/news.cfm?NewsID=963">Memphis Does Not Have to Take Pick #15</a></b>

Anyhow, this is no longer about the Rockets, so moving it appropriately.

2. Darth West

Darth West Member

Hmmmmm ... I was 100% sure that next years pick was unprotected while this years can be a top 13 pick ...

3. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Are you kidding? He was surrounded by scorers in Sacremento, and he couldn't have been more inefficient.

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

If you have a link, that'd be great .... a lot of beat writers out there picked up on the Chronicle story and say stuff like, "The Rockets don't have a first round pick next year" or "their first round pick goes to Memphis", but don't really listen well. According to the Chronicle, "<B>Next season</B>, the Rockets must send their pick <B>or another team's lottery pick</B> to complete the deal."

But they've been wrong before. Last year the Chronicle and Vancuver papers said the pick had to be top 15 or two within the pick of the Rockets.

For that matter, the Rockets could try to trade pick #15 to crack late lottery and give up that pick this season, but I don't think they should.... next year's draft looks to be weaker than this year's (but who knows -- they say that every year about "next year's draft")

All I'm saying is if the Rockets are in the lotto again, and have an escape clause like that in the Francis deal, then the Grizz can forget about getting LeBron James or even a top-5 pick from Houston.

5. Darth West

Darth West Member

Well as I said in an earlier post he also need to play more under control and that were I hope West will be a positive influence ... if he can't learn to do that it wont matter who we surround him with ... if he however can develop a more "mature" game I think he would need more scorers around him then we had last year ...

6. Darth West

Darth West Member

Yes obviously we wouldn't get him if you have any type of escape clause next year ... talk on all Memphis boards is that you havent though ... I'll try to get a link ...

7. ESource

ESource Member

Touche'!:)

8. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

I'm just surprized you people and fans are talking so much about the Memphis Grizzlies.

I struggled but stuck it out and watched around 60 Grizzlie' games last year <I>(Jason's my boy)</i> and well they do have a lot of up side in future years.

Many reports say, they'll almost gurantee Drafting Dajuan Wagner to their team and have some sort of a "duo back court" with the fast paced Jason and Dajuan. And it would help their attendance even though they averaged 60% more fans than the NBA having Dajuan play in his college town and arena.

I'll be surprised how they'll take on a team with a big PG and SG. But maybe that's not the way they want to go.

I've also heard about Drafting Mike Dunleavy. That will bring some team chemistry and youth to the team.

I already know Pau/Jason/Battier have great chemistry.
    Throwing Mike into the mix will be great.

But I think they need a "Chris Wilcox" or a "Yao Ming".
    Only Chris will be availiable. So I'll wait another 3 weeks and see what goes down.

9. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

A couple of things...

First, you said that Pau and Williams have great chemistry. I'm fairly sure that Pau has said he does not like Williams (whether that is his game or personally, I don't know). Please correct me on that if it is unfounded. If you watched 60 Grizzlies games you would know.

Now this is just going to be a rant on Williams...
    I live in Sacramento, and watched most of the games when the Maloofs took over and they became good overnight. What blew me away about Williams was his pure talent. I am very, very happy that the Kings got Bibby, but I think Williams is one of the most talented players in the game. Unfortunately, he uses little of it.
    Jason Williams is one of the top 5 ball-handlers in the league, easily, plus he's super-quick. He can get around anyone in the league. Remember the Kings-Suns first round series? I can't remember which game, but there was one game where Adelman flat out told Williams that he needed to drive. Williams did so and got past Jason Kidd something like four times in a row. That's bizarre; Jason Kidd is All-Defense. Of course, Williams missed two of the layups, if memory serves.

To me, there are three things that are keeping Williams from being Iverson:

1. he can't seem to make a layup

2. he doesn't drive 1/4 as much as he should

3. he seems obsessed with shooting stupid threes

I'm convinced that if Williams somehow fixed those 3 simple things, he would be an all-star. I thought that Williams was just being stifled in Sacramento, and that he would have a break-out year with the Grizzlies... but so far I have been disappointed. I'm starting to fear that we will never see the best of Jason Williams... too many attitude problems and drugs. Hey! The next Shawn Kemp!

#29 Drexlerfan22, Jun 6, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2002