1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My wife wrote this about Ron Artest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by carmichael dave, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Nice writeup, thanks for sharing!

2. azjw

azjw Member

Wow, this site is special. Thanks Dave for your sharing of the nice writing from your wife.

Glad to see Ron happy with this team. Hope he can stay in that mood for years to come. He fits nicely with Yao and com

3. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

that tidbit about Ron turning off all communication is exactly why I love him. thank you for that CD

4. Jimes

Jimes Member

It seems the past few years the Rockets really lacked that winning attitude and drive. Thanks Ron.

5. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

wouldn't a resident of Sacramento know what the residents of Sacramento are called?

great writeup lady of carmichael dave!

6. carmichael dave

Um, no. No. No no no.

I don't know where you get your info, but this isnt remotely true. I'm not in Indiana, so I can't speak for them, but as far as Sacto goes....it was the ORGANIZATION that made the decision, not Ron.

He wanted to stay. Only when they told him he wasnt a part of their future plans, did he ask to leave. He was heartbroken. He loved (still loves) Sacramento.

The guy played the bulk of last season with a 4 year old daughter going through chemotherapy. He became extremely fond of the caregivers taking care of her, not just at UC Davis (local hospital), but nearby Stanford in Palo Alto. Be thankful you guys didnt have to go through that as fans, but if you did...you would take MASSIVE personal offense to some keyboarder implying Ron "quit" on the Kings......He had every right to quit last year with what he was going through, and I believe he missed 1 game due to his daughter.

As far as him "quitting on the team" last year, I don't know where you got that either. Ron was pretty much the only dude (along with Cisco Garcia) that kept busting his butt last year, regardless of the record. All you have to do is look at the difference in Sac this year compared to last to see the effect Ronnie had on the club.

Its pretty simple, everyone is being an armchair psychologist, but its not complicated....did any of you do really stupid things when you were younger? I know I did. Thank goodness I didnt have a camera stuffed in my face all the time, or Lord knows what messes I would still be paying for.

Someone said it in this thread: Ron passed puberty, he's a keeper. While I think Ron hit that milestone a long time ago, the joke has the right idea. The man grew up, and it started with the Kings, and now you guys are benefiting. I am so happy.

PS: I haven't been on here in a few weeks, but seeing DD go through every thread raining on the Ron parade makes me think even more of him calling up when Ron was on my show, and doing some serious kissing of a certain area.

The Rockets just coincidentally made it out of the first round for the first time since 97, and T-Mac is in street clothes, and Artest dropped 27 last night....and some people dont think he should be re-signed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasnt he also been flawless with his behavior this year as well?

sigh

7. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Um, no. No. No no no.

I grew up in Sacramento, and most of my family is still there. Whatever the Kings ORGANIZATION may have done or said to Ron, either way he was in and out of the media for a time, changing his story on whether he wanted to be there or not.

So maybe that stuff all started with the organization. Fine. I don't care either way. But the OP talks about a fan waving a sign around, and that's what triggered this thread. A FAN. Not an NBA GM or team president. Not a basketball organization. A FAN.

That's what's being addressed. Wherever it originated, the messages from Artest to the media were mixed. Fans aren't going to like that. Blame the organization for that outcome if you want, because apparently they started it. Fine. But I've personally never met a Kings fan (and I know MANY) who had a problem with Artest as a basketball player.

The implication from the OP is that somehow, the FANS in Houston are so much better than those terrible Sacramento fans, who apparently don't accept Ron for who he is, etc etc etc. No. Not true. Rockets fans are not superior to Kings fans. They just had a different set of circumstances to deal with.

Also, your point about his behavior being "flawless" this year only reinforces what I'm saying. Rockets fans have never had Artest on their team when his behavior was anything but flawless! Why in the world would they have a problem with him?

Secondly, Jerome James all of a sudden played great in a contract year. Terrell Owens' behavior was near-perfect in that last year with the Cowboys before he signed that massive extension with all the guaranteed money... and then, he become a whining, worthless liability. You can't give a guy big props for being on best behavior in a contract year. I guarantee you T-Mac will do the same.

I like Artest. I always have. I hope we re-sign him. But to me, the OP is a completely undeserved insult to Indiana and Sacramento fans. Go ahead and wail away at the Kings organization if you want to, but don't do it to the fans.

8. Man

Man Contributing Member

Wow, yeah, I was really amazed by Artest when watching his first games with us, and then I got used to his play - he became a part of the team. But yeah, I have definitely overlooked his impact and his transition to assimilating and becoming a part of the team.

Thanks for sharing

9. Hmm

Hmm Member

DD is the type that likes to run a tight ship..

except with his spelling.. there.. is where he likes to cut loose from time to time..

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

LOL - I was being nice.....in no way do I want Ron back......he is a great guy, a wonderful personality, I love his fight.

I hate his game, I believe he is declining on the floor, but in his head he still rules the court.

And you guys cut me off before I got to the "Pass the danged ball for once" comment that was on the tip of my tongue.

For the record, I do not want Ron back, and I think Ron is going to be surprised at how little the rest of the league thinks of his game too.

Still I love it when you guys talk, he is a genuine personality that is extremely interesting.....

DD

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.