1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Safe Way to Handle the #1 Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pass 1st shoot 2nd, May 20, 2002.

1. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Just trade it for the #3, another pick (maybe even lottery due to the Ming hype), and use the #15 to fill our center needs.

Draft Dunleavy or Butler at #3 (depending on workouts, etc.), and draft Chris Marcus with the #15. We could get another pick from the Ming trade or get a quality veteran. This is the safe bet and we could have a potential starting five of:

PG: Francis/Moochie/Tierre;
    SG: Mobley/Torres;
    SF: Dunleavy/Rice/Langhi;
    PF: Fat Ass Taylor/K. Thomas/Griffin
    C: Cato/Collier/Marcus

This is a playoff team;not a Finals-bound unit, but a solid playoff team. Ming has a higher chance of getting us in the lottery over and over again, or taking us to the big game soon. It's a gamble that I think that I would make, but in the interest of pursuing options, see above...

One final note: I think that Ming is better now than Hakeem was in college at U of H. I've seen footage of both, and without hindsight to show how great Hakeem turned out to be, Ming stacks up well. If we risked passing up on Jordan for Hakeem, then we can risk drafting (and keeping) Ming. If it weren't for the damned Chinese government and the Shanghi Sharks, I'd call a news conference today just to keep my phone from ringing...

2. tariq

tariq Member

I just don't think anyone exists in this draft that can be considered a franchise player. Keeping that in mind, we do not need a franchise player - we already have one.

Now, our real needs are in the paint and a small forward. I say roll the dice with Ming and pick a quality SF with the 15th pick.

Lets also remember, without Ming, we are still a solid team. If Ming fails, we don't really lose much, but if he succeeds - do I see rings??

-Tariq

3. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Langhi is as good as gone.

4. JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze Member

Yeah, Ming is better than Hakeem at this stage :rolleyes: . How many games against quality competition did you see Ming play.

5. JT

JT Member

Better than Hakeem at U of H? Now that is some serious hype. Seems to me I have only seen Ming compared to Smits or Bradley at this point. Hmmm....I wonder who Hakeem was compared to when he was drafted?

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Now, our real needs are in the paint and a small forward. I say roll the dice with Ming and pick a quality SF with the 15th pick.

You nailed it ,Tariq.

7. ricerocket

ricerocket Member

Pass 1st, shoot 2nd,

If you're the president of the trade Steve Francis club or make him a SG, then you want Jay Williams at No. 1 with a quality SF at No. 15. In that case how about No. 15 plus Cuttino and KT for No. 2 and still get Ming... :eek:

8. GocartMozart

GocartMozart Contributing Member

That is ridiculous. Better than Hakeem his freshman year? I'm sure he is. Better than Hakeem by his junior year? I am equally sure he is not! At that point, it was clear that Hakeem was something very special and that he would be a franchise player, and possibly one of the all-time NBA greats. He didn't have his outside jump shot or the Dream shake at that point, but it was clear he would be a great rebounder, an amazing shot blocker, and a good scorer inside. I have NEVER seen a player at any level improve as much in two years as Hakeem did between his freshman and junior seasons.

That being said, what I find most intriguing about Ming is his passing ability for his height, and his innate basketball knowledge. As somebody else said earlier, many many 7-footers are pushed into basketball in their late teens because of their height and don't have the "court sense" or love of the game of someone whose parents were basketball players and who has played the game all his life.

All you people who complain about the Rockets not running enough -- the Rockets' best fast break was when Ralph was rebounding and getting the outlet passes out quickly to someone at half court. And of course the center during Showtime was Kareem. The first 1-1/2 seconds of a fast break are critical. Height, court vision, court sense, and passing ability of the outlet passer are CRITICAL to an outstanding fast break. We already have the rest of the talent.

Plus, the thought of a high-post offense with a guy this size who can pass and hit the 15 foot jumper is tantalizing. And I drool at the concept of a pick and roll with Ming and Francis!!

No, I don't want my center taking 3 pointers. But this guy's idol is Sabonis, and I think a high-post offense with him in the center is very intriguing. He'll still need to get under the boards on defense, but it's a lot easier to establish and maintain position on defense and he'll take far less than half the pounding of a big banger on offense.

Whoever described the perfect play for this guy being the UCLA cut -- RIGHT ON!!!

I'm not saying I wouldn't trade the pick under any circumstances. But it would have to be an OUTSTANDING offer -- one that clearly takes us into championship contender within two years. UNLESS there is truly a problem with getting him into training camp.

Two things I haven't heard anybody point out yet though: First of all, there is a BIG difference in being on the Shanghai Sharks vs. being on the Red Army team. The Chinese government needs the Red Army to win on a regular basis. They don't need that of the Shanghai Sharks. As far as the national team goes -- what really matters is the Olympics -- and the VERY BEST way to improve their Olympic chances is to let this guy get NBA training and physical development. Not letting him get the kind of instruction he could receive here in the summer leagues and especially in training camps would seriously hinder his development -- AND BE COUNTERPRODUCTIVE TO THEIR LONG-TERM OLYMPIC CHANCES!! I am confident that the Rockets will be able to make this message clear to the appropriate officials -- or they will go another route. We're certainly no WORSE off than we were with the number 5 pick. And I liked our chances THERE!!