1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Keep Ming or possible trades?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Desert Scar, May 20, 2002.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

If we feel keeping Ming is the wisest move--I am fine with that. But if we have serious concerns--e.g., he won't get much better because his is 21, problematic national obligations/contract, concerns about health, or just that his value his greater than he is worth because some teams are craving media attention, I say trade the pick, and ASK FOR A HEAVY PRICE. If we do I was running over some possibilities:

I'll start with the 4 cities mentioned before the draft by his agent or China or whatever.

NY: I can't see it. NY neither has a top flight draft pick nor a really valuable young player. No reason to talk to them at all. If they work some magic and generate substantial value in other teams for what they have maybe there is a 3-way--but what really do they have. Not much, they have to sucker someone else in overpaying for Spree, Houston or Camby and then come to us with what major value they have pulled out of a hat--until then it isn't worth talking about.

Chicago: They would be more likely except they have the #2 pick. They may get the guy they really want anyway at 2 (JW). However, if they really want Ming bad: enter Curry or Chandler + #2 for our #1 + KT + #15 or something like that. I just don't see it happening though because I think they want to keep their 2 rooks pillars and add JW.

Clippers: This to me looks like the most likely team. They would love the attention and I think Kandi going FA will leave them w/o a center. But to start negotiations with them I want BRAND plus more. He is the one young and consistent player on that team. In addition to Brand I would request either Miles or Odom. I would offer Ming and Rice to get it done (either trade works on RealGM). If the Clips balk I might work in KT going there or perhap Brand + #8 + #12 for the #1 + #15 + filler. But basically I don't enter the conversation w/o Brand. Odom has some character questions, Miles is unproven and Kandi is 27 and a FA. Any of the 3 are nice components of the trade, but Brand must be the principle .

GS: also a possibility. Our #1 + KT or MoT + filler for some combination of #3 pick plus Jamison or Richardson plus maybe Dampier. I personally would take Gooden or Wilcox with the 3rd pick.

OTHER OUTSIDERS

I don't see much else in the picture.

Perhaps Memphis. Some combination of Gasol (they probably would not do that), Battier (they might), or Swift and #4 for the #1 + filler. With any hesitency about Ming I would be fine walking away with Battier and again either Gooden or Wilcox in the draft for the #1, Swift and drafting Woods is a little riskier but I'd consider it as well.

Denver. #5 and McDyess for #1 and filler (Rice/MoT). Maybe, but AM is a power forward built on athleticism who is 27 and coming off a major injury. I'd much rather have Brand, but coming out with McDyess and #5 (Bordchart, Woods, Butler, or yes, possibly MD) might be OK.

PHX. Could start talking with them if they start their offer with Marion & Jake plus more (#9?). Could still probably get Butler or Bordchart with #9. Maybe we have to include KT or our #15 pick.

Yes the Wolves, but unless KG is in the picture it is not worth talking about. Thus unless KG is really on the block there is no sense wasting letters talking about this (similar to NYK situation, far fetched at best).

The Lakers? Well if the Lakers lose or Kobe and Shaq get in a physical fight one must go. Terribly outlandish, but you never know.

Firesale in Spurland? Even more remote than landing Shaq or Kobe for Ming + more. TD is all they have—yet also all we would want for this #1, and they can’t trade him for anyone.

2. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

I agree - your Clippers pick I would consider the best option. But I think the price is too high. True, a No. 1 pick is a valuable commodity, possibly worth a Brand, but it's still not a guarantee.

We have plenty of disputes ourselves on just how much of a no-brainer that pick is....a front office would have an equal amount of questions, if not more. We could possibly get Brand...but I'm not sure we'd get much more than that.

3. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

it's really depends on what chance the clips think they have to resign brand. if they think he's in long term, i don't see him being traded for a draft pick, even a #1.

4. Desert Scar

The thing about Brand is though he is oustanding, I don't think too many people think he is Duncan, KG, Shaq or Kobe caliber--possibly capable of carrying a team to the championship. He would be a perfect fit at the Rockets IMO because he could be more of a super role player than the centerpiece.

If Ming is viewed as capable of being an elite centerpiece as Shaq and Duncan were when they came in the league--it would take more than Brand to get it done.

5. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Another consideration is the HUGE impact on Clipper season tickets sales, if they trade brand for Yoa. The LA region has a very large Asian American population who would simply go nuts if Yoa played for the Cips. The number of Yoa jerseys that the Clips could sell locally in LA would be staggering.

Yet another consideration is that Stern would wet himself if Yoa landed in LA. Thus, the league office may do everything in their power to persuade both the Rocks and the Clips to do this trade.

The player I want if the Rocks trade Yoa is Duncan. The player I will settle for is Brand.

In the end, I will not be surprised if the Rocks keep Yoa. He should boost season and game ticket sales (a problem that making the playoffs alone does not solve for Les). The Rockets would easily get more TV coverage and their merchandise sales would go through the roof, epsecially at the national level. Given that the upcoming year is the last for the clown suits, everybody would also have to rebuy their merchandise the following year (when the new stadium opens). Thus, Les may not trade Yoa simply for business reasons.

6. TexasG

TexasG Member

There's no way that the Rockets can get Brand for Yao Ming. Look at it this way ... Brand is a proven 20/10 player, he is the same age as Yao, and the most important thing ... Brand will be in training camp ... Yao will be none of these things this year other than being the same age as Brand. In order to get Brand it will cost the Rockets more than than the #1 and filler.

I do think the Rockets should trade the #1 pick, and it would be nice if they could get Brand I just don't see it happening.

7. roswell raygun

Who would have thought a year ago that the Clippers could get Brand for the number two overall pick? GMs get desperate and bad deals happen, especially when a unique talent like Ming is involved.
    If the Clippers want our top pick, I would make them start by offering Brand and then work up from there. A number one pick is an extremely valuable commodity, and if the Rockets are going to deal it, they need to think big.

8. Toast

Toast Member

I think you're on the right track with the Clippers, but I'm not sure it's Brand I want.

It seems our weakest links are at the SF & C positions. What if we look to get the Kandiman + Odom (or Miles) for the pick? I know, I know, Kandiman's gonna be a free agent, so we'd hafta wait til later before we can make that trade, but still I think that's the direction I'd like to go for the #1 (plus whatever else we'd hafta include ... as long as it's reasonable).

I'm sure the Clips would like it because they'd prefer to pay a rookie wage than pay free agent money to the Kandiman.

Any other teams you could think of that have some sort of SF + C combo we might be able to obtain?

9. Desert Scar

That is what I am saying. Brand went for the #2 pick in a draft not as rich in depth, nor with as sure fire #1-2 picks as in this years draft. Getting the #1 pick this year is probably the best position since SA drew #1, and in the ballpark as when Shaq and Webber were the obvious #1's. Remember what Orlando got for the overall #1 (Webber)--it was the #4 (Penny) plus like 2 or 3 more first rounders. I think we have this kind of weight with the overall #1 this year.

Likewise, Brand may be a 20-10-2(blocks) guy, but he isn't going to ever be a 25-12-3 elite superstar guy (Hakeem, KG, Duncan or even Webber-level C/PF talent). If the Clips really want Ming it starts with Brand and then some. I don't think this is that far fetched at all. Ming will fill up a lot more LA seats than Brand and has a higher ceiling.

Kandi is 27 and a FA. Odom has character questions and Miles is unproven. Any of these 3 are nice compliments, but I start with Brand--the one young proven if unspectacular one. Also, while we are weak at the 3 and 5, we are not much stronger at the 4 either. You probably cannot name more than a couple (if that) of WC teams who we have a better starting 4 than--and our 1 solid major prospect (EG) has many aspects of his game as similar to a 3 than a 4 anyway. If we trade the #1, I expect to get any combination of the best 2 front-line people we can.

10. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I like the idea of Kandi and Odom. That shores up the C and SF spot. I don't see any character issues with Odom. The guy smokes weed, big freaking deal. 85% of the league smokes weed. At least he's trying to quit, unlike the rest of the league. I'd love to get Odom and Kandi, or Odom and their #8 pick.

11. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If Ming comes to workout and is great, I say take him. But should he have another let down , I think the rockets and clippers (if willing) should make a trade like the one you proposed or a deal like this :

#1 pick
    Glen Rice
    #15 pick

for

Lamar Odom
    Michael Olawakandi

The rockets would have an awesome starting lineup. And the clippers would have a great one too. A jAY Williams / Elton Brand duo would be kind of scary.

12. Desert Scar

I don't care that he smoked weed. I care that he wasn't smart enough not to get caught (resulting is suspensions), didn't produce much last year, and he didn't lead his team to a lot of wins when he was producing (compared to the improvement with Brand as the main figure this year)--call it a character question profile. Doesn't mean I don't want him, but Brand has been more solid over the same years they have been in the league. Similarly, Kandi has questions--he is 27 and still very offensively raw. With the value of this year's #1 (Ming/JW)--start with as close of sure thing as possible (Brand) and then look for more in a riskier form (Kandi, Odom, Miles, or their pick)--maybe we have to add more as well--the #15 or KT--but that is fine.