1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Im watching Conley right now, and he is to reliable on his jumpshot, as well as scared to even draw contact. Thank you for keeping your trash and giving us your treasure memphis.

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

That's because most on this board only watch the Rox. They only know the rox or the occasional times when they play the other team. I thought lowry was a good player whom the grizz didn't really give a chance. He did have injury issues, but conley was a mistake as was trading fasol for kwame. I just think when you haven't won anything, and players aren't getting better, they're getting worse. Rafer is a solid bench player and that's it. When Jameer comes back next yr, he'll be a good backup. Just like hayes, people overrate peple on this team.

3. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

One thing is for sure the starting PG spot next year will get heated. i don't think Brooks will improve much more than he already is now, but Lowry seems to have tons of upside.

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Kyle may turn into Chris Paul or Deron Williams from what i seen. I think he will eventually be a starter. Either that or he will play more minutes than Brooks just because he's more fundamentally sound and play solid D which is very important in rival games.

5. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

when your on a young team like the Grizzlies your gonna have a lot of players trying to look for their shot and see if they belong. Lowry had to compete with OJ, Conley, even Javaris Crittenton. Him getting about 20 mins a game is pretty good. If Brooks were on the Grizzlies i don't think he'd play ahead of Crittenton.

6. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Wasn't excited with the trade when it happened, but I'm warming up to it like many of you.

One of my concerns was not sure if AB was a starter. Seeing what we're getting out of Lowry is encouraging though. If he can keep it up, I'd like to see him at least some time starting.

I'm hoping he takes care of business against the j*zz tomorrow.

7. platinum

platinum Member

Start Lowry

8. ibm

ibm Member

and i knew, too. :D

9. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

i would love to see Lowry play a full game for 35+ minutes.

10. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

As much as I am loving Lowry right now, I think Brooks will continue to be the starter as long as Yao Ming is there and as long as Lowry's outside shot is worse than Brooks.

Brooks starts with Yao because with the inside-out approach, the "out" people have to be good shooters. While Lowry may be better getting it into Yao, he's not really an "out" guy but more of a supporter for other "out" players. That's why he comes in with Barry/Wafer a lot because he can kick it out to them. He's not expected to be a shooter, whereas if he played with Yao, he'd have to be due to Yao's kick-outs.

But hey, if he improves his jumper to Brooks' level, he could take over as the starter... and that would be sweet. But I'm not sure I'm comfortable with Brooks out there with other shooters and only 1 guy to potentially push the ball inside to: Landry.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Lowry to me is like earl watson. He's a good solid player who can make proper passes and play solid defense. I don't know if he'll supplant Brooks unless Brooks tanks it. I like the combo and its working. Its funny how people annoit guys so early. At one point wafer deserved the mle then he's tripping. If you tend to look at the whole body of work, it will balance out.

12. HookemHorns1250

I still like Lowry coming off the bench..and here's why. When Lowry comes in, usually with members of the second team (Landry/Wafer), he looks to push the ball up the court a bit more, and looks to drive and dish, and create things on his own. However, if he were to play with Yao, it would just slow him down a bit, and turn him into a spot up shooter for when Yao get's doubled..which isn't a strong point of his game. I love giving him the freedom with the second team to create on his own, and not have to worry about slowing everything down to get Yao involved.

13. kaocsaephan

kaocsaephan Member

FINALLY, THE ROCK(ETS) HAS/HAVE COME BACK TO...

A) 3RD SEED
    B) TOYOTA CENTER
    C) HOUSTON
    D) WCF
    E) FINALS

:D !!

14. SBK#2

SBK#2 Rookie

Reminds me of Sura except he drives more. Fearless, willing to distribute, and willing to hustle

15. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think a strong 3pt % shooter is over-rated as being necessary for an inside-out game. You don't necessary need to be a strong outside shooter as long as you are not awful and completely inconsistent IF you can make other things happen such as we have seen with Lowry --- drive into the lane and finish with a short-range jumper or get all the way to the rim, or draw defender and pass it out to a better outside shooter. This ability is especially important late in the game when you want a higher % shot than an outside 3pt shoot.

But if Lowry does also develope into a strong 3 pt shooter (and his form looks perfectly fine to me), I think he's going to be exactly what this team need at the point.

16. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Can somebody post his pass to Wafer for a sweet dunk last night against Raptors?

That was sweet, I really like Lowry.

I was pissed when I saw the trade but now I like it, no more jacking up long threes from Alston.

17. dookiester

dookiester Member

this isn't a fair statement, at least based solely on last night. yao in the 1st quarter had about 6 good looks that just didn't drop. you can't blame that on the pg. he had position and got the shot he wanted, he just didn't hit.

as for lowry, he is definitely a better pure point than ab. he sees the floor very well, makes better decisions than AB, and is more aggressive going to the basket than rafer. he probably should be starting, but right now he's got a good thing going with the bench and it might be better this way.

18. airbulllard

airbulllard Contributing Member

this was what i was thinking, haha

19. gwatson86

gwatson86 Contributing Member

Not to rain on y'all's parade here, but I have seen a pass from Lowry I didn't like. He drove along the baseline and got trapped in the air right next to Landry. Instead of a simple pass, he bounced it at Carl's feet and Carl couldn't handle it. Out of bounds. :rolleyes:

:D
    Nah, I'm really impressed with him so far. I'll be the first to admit that my reaction to the trade was not a favorable one, but he's certainly gotten my attention. Unless Brooks starts to pick up his play, I can see Lowry supplanting him in the starting lineup a lot sooner than anyone would have thought.

20. azjw

azjw Member

And, have you noticed that AB is starting to change some of his game to emulate Lowry's 'drive and pass' move?

When Morey said the PG position would become a stronger position, he meant more than we thought at that moment.

Now,it's up to AB to stay calm and try to learn more to compete with Lowry for 'the more promising floor general' position.