1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Still glad we made that trade [Battier]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Outlier, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Chamillionaire

i little sensitive i see... :eek:

2. azjw

azjw Member

Not exactly.
    What really seperates Battier from others on D is the intelligence. Shane handles the job like an engineer. I was not surprised at all when I learned that he actually went through most of the scouting reports of the opposing teams before games in order to come up with good defensive plans. Now,you tell me how many NBA players are able to read through those printed stuff, let alone coming up with plans. That's why Shane is not only a good individual defensive player, but also a 'radiator' of good D to teammates. I'd call that a special gift among NBA players.
    There are often several players like Rudy Gay in each year's draft pick. You can't say the same thing about Battier.

3. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

thats why the Rockets draft only graduate Seniors. haha if some players decided to do a PhD before declaring for a draft we'd draft him in an instant

4. -.Y.-

-.Y.- Member

He almost is.
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/MEM/2009.html
    Check out the Advanced part, he has 14.7 PER but 26.3 USG%, and stunning 98 ORtg.
    Its really bad, he makes team worse.

By the way, Shane has 113 ORtg same as Yao.

5. startover

startover Member

Rudy Gay is fine. But I could not be happier for the trade. Every good coach wants a player like Battier in his team.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

battier hasn't been utilized in the playoffs because all we have been playing is the Jazz who rely on team execution rather than a wing to create and score. it would be best if we played a team like dallas or even the lakers to utilize battier.

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Very impressed with Battier in the last couple of games!! :p

8. Teamwork

Teamwork Member

I would like Battier remain a Rocket until he applies for Social Security.

He is the type of guy that every organization loves to have; not just
    for basketball.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Agree, but I'm a fan as long as he keeps his wheels working. Amazing how much better he looks playing with Artest, instead of McGrady. The job on James was a work of art, by both of them.

10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Go look at the history of picks outside the top 5......there are very few guarantees, and most of them have worse careers than Battier.

Getting a great complimentary role player at 8 was a very shrewd quality move.

DD

11. DaRrEnZhAnG

DaRrEnZhAnG Member

I think most people have accepted this trade right now.
    The only thing that I feel a little not perfect about the trade is that we should ask more like : Gay for Battier + the No.24 pick of that year(whick is Lowry who we just got)

12. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Plus ditching a horrible contrat at the same time was VERY shrewd!!

No doubt Rudy Gay is a good selection by Memphis at number 8 - but he's still a developing player (especially on the defensive end).

Battier is such a good all-court player, and is so good, not just individually, but as a team defender, that this is a win=win for both teams.

Rockets couldn't lose when they got Battier - but had the Grizz picked Gay and he didn't pan out (and plenty of number 8 picks DON'T) - everyone would be saying it was a TERRIBLE move on their part....

Win/ Win - can we just forget it now?

13. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

People forget (or don't know) that Shane was a 6th overall pick himself, ironic he was in the same draft as Eddie Griffin, who was picked right after Shane.

Then Rudy T had a premonition that Eddie was going to be great, traded our 3 first rounds picks which one of them was Richard Jefferson, and that's all she wrote.

Thanks Rudy T.

14. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

that was nothing short of a brilliant trade. we got rid of a bad contract and got the better player in return. this whole "could of gotten more for the 8th pick" is a load of nonsense.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This trade is better
    with TMAC OUT and RONRON IN

Rocket River

16. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

And just get rid of Yao (Ironic, considering MY username...)

I'M KIDDING! Just couldn't resist...

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Can everyone stop yelling out "8th pick" like they're all equal or something? That draft was crap and the only player the Rockets wanted(and had a chance to get) was Brandon Roy. Once Roy was gone the Rockets thought Battier + dumping of Swift's contract > anyone else left. Very logical reasoning.

I think the jury is still out on Gay. I'm sure that for the past few seasons, he would've helped this team a lot less than Battier. But he's still very young and you never know. The guy just needs to learn to do something beyond being a finisher. Right now, he's just a glorified Carl Landry.