1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Scola Postgame Comments

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Seth, Feb 23, 2009.

1. Seth

Seth Member

This is actually from ESPN Recap report from todays game, i found a little leadership (in the good way) from Scola´s comments, i´ll also add ESPN writer comments in between because i think those close the gap on what scola has said.

"It's a good thing that we know -- this is who we have, this is who we are," Scola said. "Now, everybody can take a role, whatever it is, and it's a good thing. I wish we could have everybody healthy. But this is who we have now, and we have to take it."

None of the Rockets will say they're a better team without McGrady, a seven-time All-Star, but they've played well in his absence by relying on effort and defense. Houston has held its last four opponents under 90 points after losing 124-112 in Milwaukee, McGrady's last game.

"We're kind of clicking," Scola said. "We are getting better. We are playing better defense, we are fighting and we are competing harder every day."

I agree with everything written there, and while not saying anything against T-Mac this shows that he is confident the team can get through his absense and won´t miss him excesively.

2. srrm

srrm Contributing Member

I saw that too. Great to hear. If anyone can show their dedication to the team and inspire all the other players to become workhorse-like, it's Scola.

Better defense, scrapping it out and competing hard. These are the qualities I ask for as a Rockets fan.

3. Jonie

Jonie Member

He's such kinda guy that should never be traded off!

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Gotta love Luis Scola.

He's what every basketball should strive to be. He may not be the most talented, or the most athletic, but he'll give you 100% every night and will do whatever it takes to help the team.

Just imagine what this league would be like if everybody had that same mentality.

5. comehere2

comehere2 Member

if you play basketball, you would love to have Luis as your teammate. :D

don't let {the cancer} come back.

6. huliang

huliang Member

he will become our Brad Miller.

7. Roddimus

Roddimus Member

Luis Scola FTW! :D

8. engr chris

engr chris Member

Luis Scola- The most loved rocket in Clutchfans

9. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

i sure hope not because he's already a lot better than brad miller ever was.

10. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

You would never know it a year ago, during the first half of the season. The board was very mixed about Luis. Several of us knew he was going to be an impact player for the Rocks, but he received plenty of redicule.

I posted a comment from Popovich yesterday, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it. Here it is!

Luis Scola, whose rights were traded from the Spurs to the Rockets over the summer, had a breakout game, scoring 20 points. “He’s a hell of a player, but we already knew that. That’s nothing new,” Popovich said. “It kills me to have him on that team. Just enough to make you spit.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap;_ylt=AmHjn8WXd5nn0u7gsqMpBaW8vLYF?gid=2007111624&prov=ap

Love it! :cool:

11. JayRow

JayRow Member

Especially when Brad Miller averaged 15.6 PPG, 9.3 RPG, 3.9 AST, and he shot 52.4% from the field and 81.2 % FTs.

I love Scola, but that's rediculous.

12. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

Especially when Scola is primarily a low post PF and Brad Miller is a high post C.

They have different games, both offense and defense.

What's this fascination with pigeonholing our current players to Adelman's past players? Adelman is a good enough of a coach to adapt his system to the players with skills.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

first of all, learn to spell.
    secondly, scola's #'s are pretty close to those and i imagine that from here on out they will at least be equal to miller's as we are bound to start scoring more as a team and scola's role in the offense will increase. but i agree with v3.0, they are different players. my point was that if you needed one of those guys to carry a team, you'd be silly to choose miller over scola.

14. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

I was mixed on Scola when I saw him early last season but he proved several times in the second half of his first season he was legit and that was before I knew about his success in the international basketball scene. I hope we can keep him for a long time, while he isn't a legendary PF in the traditional scene, he is a great player and we'd be lost without defense and offense he has brought to the team.

15. rrreee2

rrreee2 Member

I liked Scola from the beginning. And I had already seen some games with him.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Scola is simply rock solid. He puts out 110% every game. While he may not be a "legendary PF in the traditional sense," he is certainly a traditional 4, an excellent 4, exactly what we needed at the spot. Someone you can count on for a double-double night in and night out, who never coasts on defense, who never takes a play off. Yes, he has a bad game every once in a while, but not often. He's very, very smart. Crafty. He knows what he can do and do well, and rarely tries to exceed that. Example... how often has anyone seen Luis attempt a three? He might make one, but he knows that isn't his game.

I love the guy.

17. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Anything Scola needs to be at least 4 stars. *Yeah I 5 star'ed this*

Everyone talks about Brooks & Artest emerging. But its also SCOLA who gains in McGrady's absense. Scola last year beasted it up when McGrady was out. At the very least we can expect to see more leadership from him, more Passion Assassin less fitting in

18. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

That's the winners mentality.

Unlike some people there..

"It's on me!"
    "I can smell the second round."

19. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I'm actually thinking I'm understanding his moves these days. :D

But seriously, they seem smoother this year.

20. magicwind

magicwind Member

I love scola too, he's a solid player.

but didn't anyone notice that his D, especially one on one D, is just a little bit better than vaccum? He always gives the low post guy too much room to do everything they want and never thinks about using his 6-9, 240lb body to give the guy some hard time. I apprciated that he never has a chance to be an elite D player like chuck hayes, but he really need to improve, dont be a bank out there