1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you been satisfied with Ron's performance this year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by thacabbage, Feb 21, 2009.

?

have you been satisfied with ron's performance this year?

1. yes

299 vote(s)
    64.0%
  2. no

168 vote(s)
    36.0%
  1. ReD_1

ReD_1 Rookie

Yeah, that seemed like an issue.

Whenever TMac was playing Ron had horrible shot selection and all that.

But he is really a good compliment to Yao Ming. I like because he hustles every night.

2. Melechesh

Melechesh Member

Besides his lack of speed & forcing 2 or 3 shots each game, he seems to fit in just fine.
    Having the ability to take us through 1st round? I don't think so.
    Considering Tracy most likely done, trades still needed.

3. DrJB25

DrJB25 Member

I can't vote yet until I see him in the playoffs.

4. viertelasiat

viertelasiat Member

for what we got him for.... I'm definitely satisfied. He can shoot the ball, but needs to work on the shot selection. I would not mind signing him, as long as its a reasonable contract.

5. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I think he's been o-k-a-y.

I wish Morey could have moved him at the deadline for a more stable building block ... but doesn't seem like there was a deal to be made unfortunately.

Just don't overpay the guy in the offseason. Let him walk if need be. A sign and trade would be nice, but doubtful. I think 7-8 mill a year would be fair.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Never mind.....I just think Ron has underperformed, and the Rockets need him to play significantly better going forward.

DD

#46 DaDakota, Feb 22, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
  7. paulnhbtx

paulnhbtx Member

I really like Ron.

I am satisfied with his current play and I believe it will elevate since Tmac is gone.

When ever I think about Ron's I remember the Utah game where he kept on going into the post getting fouled and scoring in the post.

He put us on his back and willed us to that win.

Ron has heart and plays really hard on defense.

I think he was a great pick up I hope they re-sign him.

8. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

I guess so. I was expecting more before the season, then my expectations went way down. Granted he's had injuries, he hasn't had a consistent lineup to gel with, etc...so he's done enough up to this point.

But down the road we need more. If he would stop forcing some of those face up jumpers, and attack more in the post w/ his back to the basket he'll be a force.

I'm still weary of the insider rumors that he's a bit of a distraction behind the scenes.

9. zzphilipjulia

zzphilipjulia Member

Come on, guys. Artest has had his injury and he has not been on the starting lineup consistently. Right now, I think he is this team's second go-to guy.

10. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Some of you guys need to look at the bigger picture. His defense, his toughness, his shooting ability.

To be fair, I would never think Artest would shoot over 40% from 3 land. That was a shocking stat, I never knew he was that good of a shooter until he landed here. One thing I did know before he came here was that he is one of the best perimeter defenders in basketball, arguably the toughest player in the NBA and that he is very good in the low-post.

I don't think Adelman has utilized him enough to be fair on Artest's defense. He is doing too much off the dribble and in my opinion that's not his best asset. His best asset on offense would be his low-post game, as Hubie Brown said. When Artest was a pacer He was a like a bear in the low-post because of how strong he was in the upper and lower body.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I've noticed we've used Artest more in post ups recently compared to earlier in the season. Actually, the same could be said of our PGs as well (Scola and Landry). That's a good adjustment, IMO. We can't just rely on Yao in the post all game when other players on the team are capable down there.

12. RocketKobe24

RocketKobe24 Member

Well they are our Power forwards ;)

But yeah, I like the adjustment that Artest is now being played in the low-post. However, I prefer him playing more in the low-post when Yao Ming is sitting. I prefer him being a spot-up shooter when Yao is on the court. I believe Yao should get every single tough possible when he is on the floor, not sure if that's possible though.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I consider them point power forwards. :)

14. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

For what it's worth, I want no part of a long-term Ron Artest contract. I don't know if he can be trusted, especially in light of some of the off-court concerns that are already surfacing.

I had hoped we would move him before the deadline, but it's clear, given that neither LaFrentz/Sczerbiak were dealt, there just wasn't a market for expiring contracts.

In terms of this season, and going forward, the guy simply comes up huge when we need him most. We've had only a few truly "big games" this year, of which I define by being games that are not only against the elite contenders but also took place when we were in prime position to challenge for the #2 seed. Of these, the Boston and Cleveland games immediately come to mind when Ron Artest absolutely brought it. He was roughing people up and punishing them inside and shut down Lebron when the two were matched up. Of course, who can forget overtime of the Utah game when he bailed the team out after Yao was completely shut down by a twenty year old center.

That bodes well for the playoffs. Ron has his flaws, there's no doubt. His shot selection might be the worst in the league. But it's clear that there's something in Ron that makes the juices flow a bit more when the stakes are the greatest.

If he maintains that type of intensity over a 7 game series, and we somehow get to round 2, Ron Artest will reach Brandon Backe-esque cult icon status in Houston.

15. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

I'm satisfied with his outside shooting, defense and tenacity. Not satisfied with his shot selection and distractions. Overall I'm less than satisfied mostly cuz I consider him part of the season's distractions. Not gonna just say oh thats Tru Warier thats just how he is. Its had negative effect so no exception for him

If you view McGrady as a satisfactory player then Artest's and McGrady's numbers are VERY even all across. Except one's smoother one's stronger
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/HOU/2009.html

IMO, Artest has taken too many shots away from others when everyone was in the lineup. If people got pissed at Mike James for supposedly waving off McGrady years ago, Artest has been like that times 5. Wont be the case now though, need him to create offense.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I have to cut him slack because of the ankle injury. He's such a MAN that you almost forget he has and injury that affects his shooting because he doesn't McGrady about it. I love his fire but he does tend to take a lot of chances on Defense. Contract year might have something to do with him trying too hard. I want him back next year. Shane has run his course to me.

Ron is a MAN! (no homo)

17. Rocks4ever

Rocks4ever Contributing Member

Preach on, cabbage.

18. Lovemachine2000

Wow your post makes no sense...

19. Lovemachine2000

Yeah that sums it up pretty accurately for me, though I would express more optimism over Ron's second-half improvement (god knows we need some optimism right now). I'll say that I am relatively satisfied with Ron's performance so far. Bad shot selection? Obviously. After watching Ron closely in the last few games, I gotta say that, even when T-Mac is out, Ron has his problems jacking up bad shots and over-dribbling. Unless he gets less touches, I think these problems will persist... But I do expect him to shoot about 45% from this point on just because the team offense is more efficient when T-Mac is out.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he plays so much better when that other dude is not in the line up.

Ron > the other dude