1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What are the chances of the Texans picking up Haynesworth

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Joshaaronb, Feb 19, 2009.

1. Joshaaronb

Joshaaronb Member

Is there any way?

2. Summer Song Giver

I'd rather have Peppers.

And Nanade Asoumagaga (sp) from the Raiders.

Make it happen Morey; err, you know what I mean.

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=160148&page=1&pp=20

Haynesworth will be the most sought after guy on the market, I don't know if I'd want to throw that much money at a questionable character guy like that. Great player, but he's always too close to getting suspended or something for his antics on the field.

I don't think we were on Peppers "list" of teams he wants to go to.

Asomugha is in negotiations to re-sign with Oakland. If he were let go, he'd definitely have the biggest price tag this offsesason.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Chances are very slim. The team has repeatedly stated that we are focusing on getting major contributors from the draft and minor contributors from FA.

And it does make sense for the most part. 1 guy for big money rarely alters the course of a franchise for the better (with exceptions). Look at the money SF poured into Nate Clements. Look at what Dallas and Washington have to show for their mega-spending the best decade.

Take care of our own (Dunta), and be conservative with the outsiders. Don't go down the road of Casserly.

Evan

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Slim to none. Haynesworth is likely to be the highest paid defensive player in the league come next season, doubt the Texans are willing to spend that kind of cash.

Also, it's being rumored that Peppers wants to play in OLB in a 3-4.

6. conquistador#11

I'll be just as happy if he signs somewhere far far far away in a distant conference.

7. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

if he were willing to play for the texans it would be pretty stupid not to take a chance on him. he just blows up offensive lines. can you image he and mario scaring the jesus out of opposing offenses. i'd also sign derrick ward. i think that would put us into the playoffs barring the unforeseen.

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

If not for the Texans, the CFL would be nice.

I think his price tag might be a bit too steep for the Texans. He and Mario would make for one hell of a line though.

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

If they do sign him, will they make him sit in a booth and have rotten fruit thrown at him? Otherwise, I'd rather they didn't. It'd be like the Rockets signing Jerry Sloan, even if it made them better, it'd turn my stomach.

10. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

On ESPN First Take this morning some reporter mentioned that he could re-sign with the Titans but that the Bucs were likely to persue him but also noted the Broncos and Texans as dark horses to sign Haynesworth... saying the Texans had plenty of cap room.

11. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

An interior line of Haynesworth and Okoye would be sick.

Mario and a first round pick as the ends.

Playoffs.

12. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I hope slim and none. Haynesworth has been great playing on 1yr contracts where he had to bust his ass to get paid. I wouldn't be suprised once he gets a big deal to not care anymore and turn into a bust.

13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Ummm... yeaahhhh... uhhhhhh... I need you to come in on... SUNDAY... and step on someone's head while they're lying close to the goal line... ummm... yeahhhh... :rolleyes:

14. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

In other news, Julius Peppers got franchised by the Panthers today.

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Shocker, since he pretty much forced them into it by saying he would only agree to a trade to four teams, one including the Cowboys.

16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Doubtful...

It seems that they usually pick up scrub FAs ala Jaque Reeves, Roosevelt Colvin, and Ahman Green.

For some reason they are super stingy with their FA $$$. :confused:

17. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

doubtful on the money, and even more doubtful on the character

18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I wouldn't say we're stingy on spending $ for FAs. I do think we end up overpaying for mediocre FAs (Green, Weaver, Reeves) but we've shown that we're willing to spend some cash.

19. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I just think they need to have someone doing a better job of scouting. Even if it's scouting vets.

They do way over pay their sorry pick ups. I just think they need to get some new scout staff.

Hey I can be available if needed. ;)

20. Landlord Landry

no chance, he'll be in Kansas City.