1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Artest for Mike Miller straight up?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by texanskan, Jan 27, 2009.

?

Would you trade Artest for Mike Miller?

1. Yes

165 vote(s)
    45.6%
  2. No

197 vote(s)
    54.4%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think Brooks only has 1 year after this remaining. Would the Mavs have "Bird rights" on him? Not sure how all that works.

2. worzel gummidge

cuban's been on the record saying he won't trade with a divison rival.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Well, there goes that.

4. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

Even if Terry comes here, this forum will explode with the number of 3s he takes. Sure he makes them, but sooner or later there will be 'STOP JACKING THREES JASON TERRY' threads.

5. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am no contract/capologist person

but wouldnt the team have an option for the fourth year since he was a first round pick and then have bird rights as a result?

of course if cuban holds true to that statement then the whole point is moot anyway.

also forgot that they have howard starting at the 3 they probably would much rather move him before moving terry

6. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Like I've said before, Artest's true value will be in the playoffs when we need toughness. Whether it happens remains to be seen.

Miller's inconsistent and injured this year. Fans here are a glutton for punishment.

Artest for Terry is automatic for me.

7. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I went with yes based on the observation that Ron Artest has done nothing but shoot threes since he has returned.

If that is all he is going to do, might as well get a player that is an expert shooting the three.

I always thought Artest could be the Rockets Ginobili. but his ball-handling skills are just atrocious. He'd be a better fit if he could handle the rock, but instead, he needs touches in the post, and that's what Yao is for.

8. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I agree, Artest for Terry straight up is a good deal but Artest + Brooks for Terry is a bad deal. What about Josh Howard, isn't he on the block?

9. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

I think most people on this board are severely overrating Artest's trade value. We got him for Donte freaking Green and this is one injury and alleged 'bad situation' later.

The weak return alone should make the case against dealing him.

10. Rocks4ever

Rocks4ever Contributing Member

I actually like this trade. Dallas is meandering at the bottom of playoff picture, so maybe they do this deal in hopes that a trade (a la the Jason Kidd trade from last year) will reinvigorate the team for a playoff push. From a basketball standpoint, Dallas will add a dimension to that team they lack (defense, toughness, low-post presence). Brooks is a better backup than JJ Barea plus can run with the team. And, you're right, they get cap relief in a major way.

For the Rockets, we get a dead-eye shooter at the point guard position. Plus, we're in win-now mode any way. I liken this trade to the Mo Williams trade that the Cavs did. It could be that significant.

Nice work, durvasa.

11. abc2007

abc2007 Member

My dream is to trade Artest for Manu!

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We need to be smart, if you are going to trade him, get a piece that we need or fits better.

1. A starting PG that can hit the 3 ball
    2. An athletic PF that can hit the 3 ball and slash ala Horry
    3. A swing that moves without the ball and is a knock down shooter.

DD

13. renwickftw

renwickftw Member

Sheed and Rip fit #2 and #3. Detroit most likely dont want Artest though, for obvious reasons. Shame the "rumour" about a Tmac trade to Detroit didnt come through, doubt they also want Tmac now.

14. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

I wouldn't trade Ron for Miller, I would trade T-Mac for him. Of course the salaries don't match, but I just wanted to hijack this thread to make a point clear: Ron Artest CAN fit in this offense, he showed that against Detroit. He played good defense, kept himself in a position to be open, and knocked down the open shots. Occasionally when the ball moved to him he did his part to penetrate to the basket and only tried to take over in the Knicks game bc his testicles overruled his brain in that arena (his hometown remember).

T-Mac DID NOT show in the past two games that he has learned ANYTHING from the past two seasons. That talent is always enticing, but as a diehard fan that has been following the Rockets too closely the past three years, I am exhausted from the constant frustration I feel when I see T-Mac hold onto the ball, be it just before the first half, in the entire fourth quarter, or whenever he damn well feels like it. Penetration is scarce, and when he does attempt it is disappointing to see how much speed he has lost, and what a glaring breath of fresh air it is to see Wafer get past that same defender with ease. Maybe he'll decide to penetrate more in the playoffs--but for the first time this year I honestly don't know if T-Mac will be able to take it to that next gear. I don't know if the next gear exists anymore. He is 29 and broken down, and he has no excuses. Enough is enough. We are good enough to go far in the playoffs with Yao and the rest of our team.

15. TheGreat

TheGreat Member

Im telling you DD, do you like this trade?

Ron Artest and Luther Head (we dont want him here and Redd is out and could be helpful)
    for
    Luke Ridnour and Charlie Villaneuva

Ridnour can be a solid pg and Villa can shoot the 3..

16. DcProWLer277

DcProWLer277 Rookie

And give the Mavs a starting lineup of:
    Kidd
    Howard
    Artest
    Dirk
    Diop

No thanks!

17. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I can honestly say, durvasa is my man. That terry idea is one of the best I've heard in a while. The Mavs need tough players, but so do the rox. Terry has always been a good player, but for years on this board all a lot of posters could echo is he's on a losing team. Well, he's been to the finals and has stepped up bigtime. You know, it would be a dangerous, dangerous thing to face a healthy, fire breathing artest. I'm sure everyone remembers how last year we had no one who could guard him, but it does spark something. If a package of somekind could be made, would it also make sense to trade rafer. I mean Artest for terry and green makes sense. Then the rox could offer alston,head, and battier for jefferson and elson. Now we're cooking with gas. Terry,Tracy,Jefferson,scola, and Yao with elson,landry,wafer,green,barry,deke, and brooks on the bench. It probaly takes the team out of the 2010 sweeps, but it really gives the team a very,very good offensive team that can score multiple ways. Terry likes playing off the ball, jefferson is the slasher .

18. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Luke Ridnour is arguably worse than Rafer Alston.

19. bratna8

bratna8 Member

I'm surprised the guy still in the league....Matt Maloney minus the outside shot.

20. GOAT

GOAT Member

here you go DD.....just send the Nets some money to buyout Hayes so we can sign him back after 30 days.....Nets will finally move vince's contract

rafer,brooks
    tmac,wafer
    vince,battier
    scola,landry,hayes(after we resign him)
    yao,deke