1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I bought this TV last night

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by cwebbster, Dec 5, 2008.

1. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Thanks for this link. I might order this for my daughter's 360. I've been putting off buying her main Christmas present. I think I've found it.

2. LoveRoxHateJazz

Any known brand is better than a no name company you have never heard of. Brand equity/loyalty is important if a company wants to remain competitive.

I purchased a 32" SVA HDTV from Newegg and it turned out it wasn't digital so the picture quality is sampled down, it sucks. The buttons on the TV didn't work on the first one, so I argued with Newegg about buyer beware and got them to pay for the return shipping for a new TV. The second one came with a dead pixel, but all of the buttons worked. About 1 week later the channel up/down buttons on the remote stopped working.

Newegg's return policy on TVs is crap. "Must have more than seven dead pixels to be elgible for replacement."

I will fix the issue when I am done with finals.

3. Chamillionaire

i payed over double that for my panasonic 42', not sure about sylvania, never heard of it but i'm assuming that it's worth the risk for you, even though i wouldn't buy a tv i wasn't too sure of.

i bought one, a brand i didn't know, and it broke within a year. so i'm paying a little extra to get something out of it, hopefully.

4. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

#64 gunn, Dec 6, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks, you sold me. I'm trying to really cut back on spending until I get a better handle on what's going to happen with the economy, so it helps if I prioritize.

6. Tuan

Tuan Member

7. what

what Member

I think sony has great marketing, but they jack their prices up and they aren't that much better than other name brand sets. Bose comes to mind when I think about sony. I have a samsung 42 inch plasma and it is awesome and for my money better than similar sony's that cost as much as my set did.

8. ndnguy85

ndnguy85 Contributing Member

how is sony's marketing any different? i see just as much ads for samsung, lg, sharp etc.

sony sells because of it's reputation and brand loyalty.

price wise: if you go look at circuit city's site under 40" (1080p) tvs, sony has 6 ranging from $1000-2000. samsung has 5 in the same price range. i dont see how sony is just ripping people off by costing 100s of dollars more.

comparing sony to bose is just r****ded.

9. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

he's right on getting surround sound first. that's half of the experience.
    i advise you to get a home theater system with a receiver first. they usually come with some cheap speakers, but you can always upgrade your speakers. the all in one boxes are usually not upgradeable.