1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Your Earliest Memory of the City of Houston

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RocketMan Tex, Nov 19, 2008.

1. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

Oh yeah! I forgot about that arcade. That was indeed sweet. And yeah, I remember it before it turned dollar too. I went to Klein Forest HS right nearby.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Oh yeah, I remember a couple of things.

-That big fleamarket by 610 and Fountainview(?)
    -East End

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. "Gunspoint" is more clever. But, my friends weren't too smart.

2. Lady Di, it's not like you'll start remembering Houston before Beltway 8 when you get older... or, will you?

3. Ima - Games People Play. I was there quite a bit. But, I suppose I didn't meet with the success you did there.

4. Yonkers, I remember that drive-in. We'd go in a van and hide people in the back. It was the last to close in Houston. When it was closing down, we went for one last movie, New Jack City.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Man, this thread moves too fast.

North Oaks, thanks. I spent a lot of money at that arcade as well. I remember a black girl came up to me there when I was a 12 or so to tell me her friend "liked my style." But, I was too afraid of girls. :(

And, that theater would let anyone in to any movie. I'd go up as a 12 year old and buy tickets to the raunchiest, most violent rated R movies, and they'd sell to me without thinking twice.

5. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Anyone remember Hanna-Barbera Land?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, but the Willowbrook arcade was just on a whole 'nuther level. I remember walking into that one and there were just so many games, so many people, so many sights and sounds that your head would spin trying to figure out what to do first. It's a shame that today's kids can't experience that sensation.

This thread is really bringing back some great memories. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go put on my OP shirt and some cowboy boots and listen to the Urban Cowboy soundtrack.

7. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Sounds familiar, where was it?

8. gunn

gunn Contributing Member

Where Splashtown is now I believe. I think it shut down in about 84 or so.

9. Roxfan73

Roxfan73 Rookie

I think I remember going there during summer vacation, or at least my family discussing it. Looking at the wikipedia article, it was only open for 2 years (84-85).

10. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I miss Don's. :(

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Evolution Records and Tapes, South Post Oak @ West Bellfort.

What a wonderful head shop it was.

:D

12. cwalker3

cwalker3 Member

32 - Born and Raised

- Hurricane Alicia / 1983
    - Mike Scott no hitter / 1986
    - Jim Peterson and Dave Feital (sp?) made up the Ivory Towers / Late 80's
    - Going to see Goonies about 20 times at Willowbrook Mall

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

34 years old

- Peppermint Park, definitely

- Memorial Dr. being a two-lane road...and the construction to expand it to 4 lanes.

- Ferrell's in the Galleria

- Cellar Door was awesome, RMTex!

- Felix's Mexican Restaurant on Kirby (closed for some time now) nearly every Sunday after church

Those memories go back to 70's and early 80's.

- Incredible growth when I was away from college over 92-96...coming home on weekends frequently and seeing new project after new project

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I had no idea Willowbrook was that old, i grew up in houston and the first time i knew it existed was 91, i thought it was new mall. they have really kept that place up.

carry on

15. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Okay, I KNEW I remembered Ferrell's. For some reason I was thinking it was in Sharpstown Mall.

I know there was a place in Sharpstown Mall called Good Time Fridays or something like that. It was kind of a precursor to Chuck E Cheese, if I remember right. Anyone remember that?

16. Fatty FatBastard

I recall going to the Meyerland III and having to see this countless times.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3F_tv1XNoCc&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3F_tv1XNoCc&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

[​IMG]

17. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Mad Max got it, Farrells was in the Galleria. A Marching Band would come out for cake and ice cream, really lovely childhood memory. Others:

• Crafty Fox
    • Peppermint Park of course (best ride = The Whip)
    • Rockets in Hoffeinz Pavillion
    • Shooting hoops with Kevin Kunnert, Rudy T, Calvin Murphy, Mike Newlin at a promo event. Kevin Kunnert lifted me up to try to dunk, but I was too nervous.
    • New Texas Theater
    • Jamails
    • Alfreds
    • Some freaking empanada shop with these incredible banana empanadas that I can smell-recall as I type
    • The odd combo of World Toy and Gift (high priced toy shop) right next to the p*rn theater in Rice University
    • Neals Italian Ices and Zekes on Kirby
    • Mr. Klinger at Variety Fair in the village
    • Cactus Records, old school wood walls and $6 regular priced LPs (tapes were more expensive?)
    • Douglas, nice redhaired mountain-man employee at Sound Warehouse. Very nice guy, loved the Doors, loved music.
    • The Drum Shop
    • Lessons with Jeff Blankenship at Guitar Gallery
    • 920 AM Beatle Radio - All Beatles, All The Time
    • Mr. Leonard
    • Nathans Physical Whimsical (my little brothers went there more than me)
    • Kiddie Wonderland

18. CBrownFanClub

Totally, but I think it was more of an arcade than a Pizza Place. Maybe it had pizza... I know they had that Journey video game there.

19. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Are you talking about the grocery store on Holcombe near Kirby?

20. CBrownFanClub

Sir, you just made my day. Holy mother. That song! Yes yes yes.

Best double feature I saw there - Jungle Book (animated) and Unidentified Flying Oddball.

Also I remember seeing the preview for "Airplane" there, and the theater went batcrap crazy over the trailer. Just insane. Even after the movie, it was all anyone was talking about.