1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[UFC] Couture vs. Lesnar

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by duwende, Sep 2, 2008.

1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

edit: response to this post

^
    Lesnar was gassed -- those strikes were heavy armed and didn't hit flush. I think Couture had to have been hit harder with the knee than it appeared from the camera angle. I think the delayed reaction hit him after a few seconds while they moved to the center. Basically he was out on his feet already and any semi-solid strike would take him down. If that scenario didn't happen and he wasn't hurt by the knee -- then it looks like he took a dive.

____

I'm a big fan of UFC fighting i'm just giving my honest opinion.

2. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

BJ Penn and ironically Randy Couture got a title shot after only 3 fights as well. ;)

3. farrisdabis

farrisdabis Member

Fedor has fought bigger guys than Lesnar and absolutely destroyed them. I wouldn't expect Lesnar to get out of the first right now, but if he continues to improve I would give him a better shot. Just watch some of Fedor's fights. I don't see anyone beating this guy.

4. MrRolo

I would give a nod to Nogueira at giving Lesnar a run for his money. He's never been knocked out, went the distance with Fedor, has a massive edge on the ground with submission potential...

Hopefully Nog takes care of Mir and this fight will be done.

5. Asian Sensation

I think Nog vs Lesnar would be a pretty good fight. Nog is an artist for sure in terms of pulling out submissions out of nowhere. However, he struggled pretty badly against Tim Sylvia and I thought he was going to lose that fight. Sylvia made Nog look tiny and weak against him and Nog had trouble taking him down until Sylvia self destructed. Keep in mind that Brock is much much stronger than Sylvia.

I think Fedor is great and all but I think he's seriously overrated in terms of not fighting many big name fighters. Against 2 of the bigger named fighters that he has fought... Nogueira and Mirko Cro Cop ... these 2 guys both took Fedor to the limit and one (Cro Cop) couldn't even cut it in the UFC.

For those that say Fedor has fought bigger and or stronger people than Brock who are you guys referring to?????? I sure hope its not that worthless freak show named Choi Hong Man.

In terms of god given talent, size and Brock's determination combined with his willingness to learn the game... he will be a force to be wreckened with for many fights to come.

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Mark Hunt is about 260 ane a far better striker than Lesnar will ever be. Though he did push Fedor.

Honestly though just look at Emelianenko's fights v. Mark Coleman to see how this would go. Lesnar being the wrestler would get caught in a submission like he did against Mir. Aggressively going for position then losing an arm or a leg and its over.

7. Wakko67

Wakko67 Contributing Member

Fedor easily.

8. tested911

tested911 Member

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good fight and really thought Couture had him but it looks like he was a little woozy from the knee and then Lesnar got in a lucky shot and it went rapidly downhill from there.

I will have to watch it again but I think it would be hard to argue that Couture took a dive.

Brock Lesnar's an interesting guy and I'm glad to see him out there doing something real, as opposed to the WWE. He walked away from a lot of money when he left pro wrestling but from what I had heard he didn't like the idea of just being an entertainer and wanted some real competition.

10. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

How can anyone think Randy took a dive? It seems with every PPV conspiracy theories come out with that BS. Did you see the post-fight press conference? Randy even said he doesn't remember the punch, didn't remember much about the round at all. He just remembered laying on his back and Brock celebrating. Randy got hit in the right place, with enough force to make him crumble. I think some people claiming people took a dive might need to watch some boxing, or more MMA to see how a well-placed punch can damage someone.

One thing I think alot of you don't get is how strong these guys are. A punch from Brock or any of these fighters on the right spot will make you fall like a sack of bricks.

As far as Brock in WWE, he left because he hated the travel schedule. That was the #1 reason. Being on the road for 240+ dates a year is rough and he wasn't down with that. Of course he waited until he made millions to leave, lol.

I thought Brock got this shot too early in his career also, but him winning kind of validates it. He was ready and took advantage of the situation.

11. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Can any MMA fan explain to me where WEC that comes on the "Versus" network fits into the MMA landscape? I don't watch much MMA, but the best fights I have seen have always been from this organization. It seems like a minor league, but the fights are usually pretty solid.

12. Christopher

Christopher Member

Just watched the fight, I thought Lesner dominated the whole thing to be honest. Its not a huge surprise though, I mean, look at the size difference between them!

Just on Lesnar being bored, in the WWE he is also very raw. he was the champion there and he just got jack of it all one day and quit.

Look at the UFC, there is not a heap of heavyweights out there that you can look at and say he has a heap of challengers. Yeah, anyone can beat anyone else on their day, but obviously this like likes to go from one thing to another and I still wouldnt be surprised if in a couple of years from now his career is a thing of the past and he has moved on to something else.

You have to respect what he has done though, even if you hate his guts. He has basically decided he wanted to be the UFC Champion, and he has done it in less than a year.

13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know if you were arguing me but I said "it would be hard (as in difficult) to argue that Couture took a dive."
    I remember hearing that he didn't like the travel schedule but I also heard that he really wanted to compete for real. His childhood dream was to play for the Vikings and he didn't make it so he could've at that point just hung things up, or gone back and made a few more millions in the WWE, for a year or two, heck he could've done crappy action movies. I think he missed actually competing where the result wasn't predetermined.

I thought Brock got this shot too early in his career also, but him winning kind of validates it. He was ready and took advantage of the situation.[/QUOTE]

14. MrRolo

WEC is not necessarily a minor league, but goes down to the lowest weight classes. They recently dissolved Middleweights on up (light heavy and heavyweights). The pay scale is much lower than the UFC but they are owned by the same company Zuffa. It is a legit organization and a true MMA promotion.

15. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

[/QUOTE]

After the WWE, he actually tried out for the NFL again. Forgot which team, might have been the Cowboys, but he didn't make the cut. After that, he went to Japan and did Pro Wrestling over there for a while. Brock is HUGE over there.

16. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXSsRAa7msg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XXSsRAa7msg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

17. MrRolo

LMAO!!!!! nearly choked on my food