1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Pro Football] Hall of Fame Candidates

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by plutoblue11, Oct 28, 2008.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

2. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

ARGHHHHHH! BUD FREAKING ADAMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

#2 Rockets34Legend, Oct 28, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2008
  3. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You should automatically be disqualified if you've ever moved a team to a different city. I know sometimes its justified, but a hall of fame owner would have put a product on the field that would have retained interest with the original city and/or worked with the local city to keep it there.

4. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I'd say only Bruce Smith is a 1st ballot HOF of those guys.

Based on the fact Chris Carter didnt make it last year.

A bud adams HOF introuduction/speech would be pretty funny.

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Even though, Adams is disliked in Houston...he has stiff competition in the "intensely despised, some fans wish he were dead" owner category....

Art Modell

6. Landlord Landry

DERRICK THOMAS

7. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I was going to post him. I hope he eventually makes it.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Adams unfortunately has every right to be there. Obviously due to his personality, he gets a lot less credit than I think he deserves for helping Lamar Hunt found and finance the AFL, as it was both he and Hunt who turned down NFL franchise offers to found the league, and it appears a lot of the other charter AFL owners weren't as financially stable. Also, a member of the finance committee, he's probably helped keep the NFL the best run league in all of pro sports. Bruce Smith obviously deserves first year, Woodson deserves it just for his freaking gene pool (Heisman, Super Bowl ring, NFL All-time team all three different relatives).

9. TRIQSTER

TRIQSTER Contributing Member

f bud adams.

10. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Shannon Sharpe may be the greatest tight end ever to play. He probably won't get in this year but should make it eventually. Hard to believe that Bob Hayes and Claude Humphrey have yet to make it.

11. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

:confused:

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

i guess its harder to get in the nfl hall then the nba one.

i figured chris carter, shannon sharpe, and rod woodson would be locks. there top 5 all time at each of there postions (at least stat wise) off the top of my head seems like that would be enough.

13. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Gary Zimmerman should all get nod, very good offensive tackle from late 80s to late 90s.

How is Bud Adams getting in the Hall of Fame? Max Winters and Bob Howsam aren't in there...

For one there were other contributors to AFL's formation, while Adams team's are generally in futility.

The Oilers and Titans collectively are 4th tier franchise at best, compared to all of the old AFL teams, like Dolphins, Chiefs, Raiders, Patriots, Broncos, Jets, Chargers, and even the awful Bengals. Oilers/Titans were the last ones to get to the Super Bowl. How could the city of Houston embrace a team with money-grubbing, owner who doesn't seem cares nothing about the teams on the field and has absolutely no integrity. Most of those others teams have much bigger fan bases over the years with few them possibly being smaller than Houston.

How is this guy more deserving the other players and owners....?

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Neither Shannon Sharpe nor Rod Woodson are HOF caliber, IMO.

15. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

Cris Carter
    Bruce Smith
    Derrick Thomas
    Shannon Sharpe

how does Dermontti Dawson not get any votes? 6 straight 1st team All-pro from 1993-1998, 7 time pro-bowler. Not that he should have gotten in on his first try, but I thought he would get more love.

16. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

What makes you say that?

Shannon Sharpe was the best TE of the 1990s and was the prototype of the modern day TEs who are used majority of time as big receivers. His offensive numbers put those of Ossie Newsome to shame. Also, he was in the way before Tony Gonzalez, Jason Whitten, Alge Crumpler, Jeremy Shockey, and the other big numbered TEs came in the league.

Rod Woodson was the most "complete" CB of his generation

Dawson is probably the greatest NFL center of the last 20 years. He should definitely be in the Hall as well. I can't name any other centers that come close to his acheivements except Kevin Mawae and Bruce Matthews.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Another way of saying he couldn't block.

Only relevant if Newsome deserved to be in the HOF. Even then he wasn't the complete TE which Newsome was, although he was more offensively inclinded than his peers.

Not even sure what this means aside from the fact that out of this group only Gonzales will merit consideration for the HOF, if that.

Not really, although I realizae you're using "complete" as an out over Sanders. He was never a shutdown corner. He benefited from playing in two great defenses that allowed him a ton of help (Pittsburgh and Baltimore). Few people would take Woodson over Sanders and those that would are be foolish to do so. Sanders would shut off half the field and there hasn't been anyone else like that. No offense ever even shied away from Woodson's side of the field. Overall he has some pretty numbers but don't mistake a dearth in good CBs for greatness in Woodson. He is more overrated than underrated.

#17 HayesStreet, Oct 29, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2008