1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[College Football] #1 America's Team vs #7 Boone Pickens Toy Train Set

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by percicles, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Bassfly

Bassfly Member

penn state lost ground in the AP poll, and gained 1 point in the coaches poll.

it was pretty obvious by your first post in this thread you dont know much about college fball and was just baiting.

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You mean the #1 ranked team doesn't actually go by TU?

Hypothetical for BigBenito -- If UT punches in a meaningless touchdown on 4th and inches with 30 seconds to go and wins by 11 instead of 4, would that have made their win "more impressive" than Penn State's?

3. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

No, I don't.

I quoted what I was talking about in my response, but I'll repost it here for you!

4. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

So, why not? After all, by your logic, point spread and venue location are clearly more important than anything else.

5. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

Yes, actually it would.

4 point = loss if played in stillwater.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Ugh, I didn't even notice this. Why am I wasting time with an obvious hater?

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The big 10 is terrible. Penn state would lose by 20 to any of the top teams in the big 12. The QB play was not good, without turnover would the score have been? That 3 yards and a cloud of dust offense just doesn't fly anymore.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

"Maybe you should watch less games and figure out how the people rank teams."

I don't think teams get ranked by how many points they won or lost by and then predicting what would have happend if they played in another venue.

9. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

We're comparing 3 @ 9, w/ 3 NEVER winning at 9.

compared to 7 @ 1, w/ 7 NEVER winning vs. 1 home or away.

so, yes, 3 winning by a larger margin than 1 at home, is more important than Virginia beating GT again (Virginia has won 4 of the last 5 meetings between the two teams.)

10. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huh? :confused:

According to whom? Do you have any basis for saying this? Most handicappers say home field advantage is worth 3 points.

Did 3 suddenly become greater than 4?

Besides, if you saw the game, you would have seen that play was essentially a punt. It was a "let's roll Colt out of the pocket, away from any defenders, and not even give ourselves a .000001 chance of a fumble or INT."

If a strategy to preserve a win with 30 seconds to go makes up your mind as to how impressive a win is, this is pointless. Whether UT won by 4 or 11, they played at a significantly higher level than either Ohio State or Penn State. They just happened to be playing an opponent who also was playing at a level significantly higher than those fraudulent Big 10 schools.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

From this, he's responsible there is no BCS playoff system. It doesn't address why the Big 10 doesn't have a championship game.

12. junglerules

junglerules Member

A lot of people have already spoken for me, but just an abbreviated version....

Penn State sucks ass. It's tough to win in Columbus, but not when you are playing an average offense with a very young QB. But, putting up only 13 points on that team was not very impressive at all.

Oklahoma State may still be behind USC, but don't worry too much about it. The Cowboys will still get their shots at OU and Tech, which could allow them to pass up a USC team that has no great teams left on its schedule. Lots of football left, and some teams will knock each other off. (For instance, the rejuvenated Florida and Georgia teams battle next Saturday, and one will take a second loss.)

A LOT of praise is starting to come the Red Raiders way...and I'm okay with that. I'm starting to like Texas' chances even more of recharging and going out to Lubbock with a chip on their shoulder as they try to finish off the gauntlet. It'll be tough, but I think Tech presents fewer problems than Okie State in terms of offensive balance. We'll see, but I think that if Texas is healthy, I'm feeling okay about their chances in Lubbock.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

In that case, I believe there is a requirement that you have 12 teams in the conference before a championship game will be approved. That's why the ACC was almost forced to take BC with VT and Miami...they wanted a championship game and needed to get to 12.

Jim Delany is still a jackass and a primary reason there is no playoff system.

14. DPballer

DPballer Member

LOL everybody point and laugh at this loser! LOL @ "TU". Did you confuse THE University of Texas with Tulsa?

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

meh, I do the same for KU and UK.

But, it's fine. I get to make some jokes about this thread at the office w/ some fellow pokes.

I don't think I've even heard cowboy fans argue so vehemently about the validity of their own team.

The 'game over' argument was cat's 'look at osu's record vs. semi legitmate teams over the last 2 years'. w/out obviously knowing a thing about okstate's record over the same time period.