1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would the Texans draft Colt McCoy

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by ROCKET RICH NYC, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Anticope

Anticope Member

If they draft anyone from Texas, hopefully it's Brian Orakpo. That would be a beastly D-line.

2. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I don't want to spend a high pick just to cause a QB controversy. I'm of the opinion (and was last year as well) that we've got to bring in a top flight safety. We've got good players in most positions on one side (L/R) of the field or the other. We don't have a single safety that I would personally describe as being an above average starter. We're getting sodomized by big plays, which typically is a damning indicator of safety play. This week's 96-yd TD is blamed on Faggins, but our deep safety let Calvin go behind him because he thought it was better to come in (with Calvin already several feet past Faggins) and cover a 15 yd out route.

Trade down, go after a safety with range and the size/ability to lay someone out (Will Moore?). If not a safety, get another corner (Jenkins? Davis?). We can't keep going with Dunta along with 3 half-players as our secondary. I personally don't think it's wise to invest too much money in any one particular position (top dollar to 2 CBs, in this case) but better to spend so that you have an impact player at each "level" of the defense. Okoye at tackle, Mario at end, Ryans at LB, Dunta at CB......and right now there is a glaring need at S.

The offensive side of the ball is putting things together. I'm not against drafting a QB, but it'd be silly to take anyone earlier than a prospect that fell too far in the top of the 4th.

IMO, in an ideal situation, we pick:
    Rd1: Safety
    Rd2: CB
    Rd3: G or OLB

3. eric281

eric281 Member

Someone who plays safety and lays people out..... like... Will Demps? Our secondary has enough talent. They are coming along very well, and when Dunta gets back to starting, we'll be fine. How does everyone on this board not realize this yet? The biggest problem on our team are the linebackers.

We need an OLB or a true MLB so Ryans can go back to his natural position. Not a ton o LB talent in the first round though. We could also use another pass rusher on the end. Just watch a UT game and see how Kindle makes Orakpo look that much better when they can really pressure from both sides. Much less scrambling away when you have a couple beasts on each side. I will admit that the Texans could use some depth at Safety though, especially Strong Safety, but do you really want to spend a first round pick on a strong safety? Doubtful. Here's what I would hope to draft:

Rd. 1 - DE
    Rd. 2 - LB
    Rd. 3 - OL (someone who can play either guard preferably)
    Rd. 4+ - Best Available

It's a great time in Texans history when we can truly start drafting the best available player instead of trying to fill all of our starters up with 6th and 7th rounders.

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

^I agree, linebacker has been an issue since day one.

edit: linebacker is one of the easiest positions to fill, but if you do not have good linebackers, then other weaknesses will get expose. linebackers fill holes.

#44 pgabriel, Oct 20, 2008
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2008
  5. Mac#5

Mac#5 Member

what we need to draft in the first this year is another defensive end... if mario can finaly get some help our whole defense would improve... our secondary wouldnt look bad if we can get pressure on the QB

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

The first 2 rounds need defense. The next 2 we could use for offensive prospects.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Hardly anyone right now.

But I expect to keep hearing more and more...

8. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

you can compare colt mccoy to former florida quarterback chris leak who was drafted by the bears or some team in the northeast...but he was released and now plays in the Canadian League...

and chris leak was a beast....

9. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Colt will play out his senior season, just reported on ESPN.

Thank you little 6 lb. 4 ounce baby Jesus.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

6'3" is above average for quarterback. But I doubt he's that tall. I don't see him being a great pro.

11. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Why when Graham Harrell is better?

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

Ya I heard Graham is a 5th-6th rounder. I think he will go in the third as his stock continues to rise

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Leak was not nearly as mobile as Colt.

14. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Eh -- to us Gator fans, Chris Leak was the second incarnation of David Carr. He was a decent QB but he was prone to boneheaded mistakes and everyone was clamoring for Tim Tebow to start over him in his senior year. It was rather obvious that he was never going to make it in the NFL. I'd say Leak played just well enough for the Gators to win, but he was in no way the catalyst of their success that year. Colt, on the other hand, is a Heismann front runner. Bad comparison.

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Texans already have a good starting qb. If you tell me that Colt would be a great cover corner then thats another thing.

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Best NFL potential player that currently starts for Texas. With the Big 12's officating benefitting passing attacks, his sack count is hard to gauge. He gets held a lot without it getting called preventing him from getting a lot of sacks when he blows by his man on the initial move. On the other hand he has lots of opportunities to get sacks since teams are willing to pass more since it is easy to pass "block" in the Big 12.

Big 12 teams are going to be hurt in big bowl games if the non-Big12 officials call holding.

17. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Its easy to say you are not going pro when you are the big man on campus in the middle of an undefeated season.

But what happens after the season is over. A possible Heisman finalist coming off a fantastic year with the chance to be a first day pick. You make your millions guaranteed vs. coming back for another year, getting your knee caved in, or having a less than stellar senior season.

He might come up with the fact that his stock value will never be higher and another college season could only make it worse. Especially with his perceived physical limitations compared to other more "pro style" QBs.

If he finishes the season and has the chance to be a first day pick and guarantee his payday to lock up his financial means for the rest of his life, you have to know that its extremely tempting to declare whether you said you were staying 3 months before or not.

18. Legend Killer

Legend Killer Contributing Member

NO!!! send him to Tennessee with the other overrated UT QBs.