1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets to Win the West

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by alcatrazpsycho, Oct 11, 2008.

1. alcatrazpsycho

According to Reggie Miller, who said this during the Suns-Nuggets outdoor game on TNT.
    Surprisingly Charles Barkley said some nice things about Houston too... only to dis them shortly after about how we're not really that great of a defensive team, and that the only reason we hold opponents under 95 points a game is because we "walk the ball" down the court, implying that practically any team can do that.

2. jedicro

jedicro Member

Actually, the reason we weren't the number one defensive team was because we were too fast. I think we were number two in opposing FG%

3. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

i have a feeling that barkley is a houston fan at heart, and is just keeping it to himself because he brings up the most idiotic statements ever. i can understand him saying the rockets aren't a good offensive team, but not a good defensive team? then what does that make the denver nuggets defense? I guess awful. right?

4. Erichstolz

Erichstolz Member

its ok. they are all gonna be on our nuts when we win the conference finals. can you say bandwaggon?

5. mozart123

mozart123 Rookie

In a way its true, slower teams keeps the points down on opponents although I doubt he was trying to imply that the rockets/celtics/pistons/spurs suck at defense, but rather I think the difference by which a team wins it's games is as important.

6. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

I think it is pretty obvious we will win the west and the championship unless one of our stars gets injured.

Houston has had enough bad luck, have to get a good season eventually.

7. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

And I'm sure no one there thought to challenge him on that and point out that we were second in the league in FG% defense.

How the hell does he think we won 55 games last year? With our blistering offense? :rolleyes:

Gotta love that incisive TNT analysis.

8. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I hope Charles picks against us in the playoffs and the Rockets prevail against his wish much like the Warriors a couple years ago. I want to see Charles eat so much crow when they prove him wrong. Watching the Warriors whip up on the Mavs and witnessing Charles looking like a complete idiot in public was a thing of pure beauty. :D

9. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/6053837.html

Wafer, Strawberry and Harris are after the same job
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN Copyright 2008 Houston Chronicle

Battling for a spot

Guards Von Wafer and D.J. Strawberry got their most extensive playing time of the preseason with fewer roster spots available in their three-way battle with Mike Harris for a place on the team.

Though the Rockets are carrying 16 players, one more than the maximum, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said they would likely keep “none or one” of their three non-guaranteed players.

“We feel like we have what we need, and we are trying to build a club in a way that leaves flexibility in the future,” Morey said. “Having more guys on the roster now leaves less flexibility later.”

Strawberry’s contract would become guaranteed if he makes the opening-night roster, while Harris’ and Wafer’s would not be guaranteed until Jan. 10.

But if that were to make the decision on a roster spot, the Rockets could waive and then re-sign Strawberry to a similar non-guaranteed deal.

“Every game we play these guys, they’re showing us what they can do,” coach Rick Adelman said. “That’s the approach I’m going to take. Those young guys have a chance to play and show how they can fit in.”

The Rockets are hoping to move under the luxury-tax threshold enough to add a veteran, potentially Dikembe Mutombo, during the season.
    Not even close

As much as the Rockets would love to be where the Celtics were after last season, for now, Rockets coach Rick Adelman would be happy to be where they were before last season.

Though adding Ron Artest to Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady has brought comparisons to the Celtics’ acquisitions of Kevin Garnett and Ray Allen to go with Paul Pierce, Adelman would not accept the premise of similarities.

“I don’t see a comparison there right now,” Adelman said. “We have two-fifths of our starting lineup that have been out. When they (the Celtics) started coming together last year, they had everybody and they were healthy and there was a whole new situation for them.”

JONATHAN FEIGEN

10. durvasa

^ It's quite possible that we cut all three, but bring one or more back later in the season after we make some other moves (i.e. trade Luther).

I'm not happy at all with the PG play in the preseason. Rafer's offense is as horrid as ever, and Brooks still doesn't know how to run the team. I don't think that combination will be good enough in the postseason.

11. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

hate to say it but i think rafer will have a worse year than last year. he's going to get less shots this season and will have less rhythm. we just need a vet PG who can make an open shot.

12. JD2010

JD2010 Member

Rafer did well last year but I agree. I don't think he will do good like last year. I know Brent Barry is old, but I want him to start. I like the way he passes the ball.

13. durvasa

That's a very interesting point. Usually, we think players will get more efficient as their role decreases. But in Rafer's case, I think it could hurt him. He's the kind of player that needs to the freedom to let loose those jumpers. If he's playing restrained, he's not doing much of anything on the offensive end.

14. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Anyone who knows Charles, knows he's an *******. They also know who the two teams he's hard on every time: Phoenix and Houston. Easy. He always criticizes everything they do. He loves both teams, albeit he loves PHX more.

15. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

i thought we matched well with the NBA champs. they've a season playing together & the confidence of prior success.

pg is our weak link and the attention isn't misplaced. but if Rafer is healthy i like our chances. Adelman is clearly grooming Brooks as the backup pg. he isn't nearly as frightful with obvious weapons. clearly, he recognizes our known offensive threats.

Rafer will run hot & cold shooting but his t/o are low enough to leave us with decent chances. we have the depth to relieve the time demands on our stars.

ain't perfect but its doable ....

16. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Brent Barry will not start at pg. forgetaboutit, not gonna happen ...

17. -.Y.-

-.Y.- Member

-----------30min--------- -------10min-- ---?-----
    C\PF: 1Yao 4Scola 7Carl 10Hayes 11Deke 14Joey 15Harris
    SF\G: 2Tmac 3Artest 5Shane 8Barry 13Head
    PG: 6Rafer 9AB 12SF

Compare to before, we got 7 players who can start for any team.
    How could people not love this team?

18. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

Charles is entertaining. great personality and character makes for interesting tv. anyone that takes his bball 'analysis' seriously has my sympathies. i doubt he even watches the games.

Charles came to Rockets at discount for a chance at glory. i respect that ...

19. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Can we just make up 4 million worth of salary and somehow get Steve Blake to backup PG?

I don't see the point in trying to mould Brooks into something he is not.

Throw something like Brooks, Head, SF3 and a 2nd rounder for Blake and see if they bite.

20. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Acutally that doesn't work, how about something like

Harris, Head and Brooks and a pick if needed for Blake.

But that Blazers have more players than us.

can the Blazers waive Harris and Head after the trade goes through?

Then we waive both Straw and Wafer and sign deke.