1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barkley/S.I on Vince Carter

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by TradeMan12, Mar 6, 2002.

1. Timing

Timing Member

HA! It's amazing how Rockets fans can jump all up on Carter's case and then magically get amnesia when it comes to Steve's game.

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Yeah I was not clear enough. Well the games I have seen it seems like he is not that bad of a defensive player. The guy Carter guards always seems to go to the basket. Carters lateral movement is not that good. Anways what I am getting to is that if Carter had a big intimidating shot blocking center (like Kobe does with Shaq) his "lack of defense" would not be that big of an issue.

And what I meant by the original statement was that he is not a liability of any kind. I mean this year he is giving you 26 ppg. The player he guards probably does not get 26 ppg. So therefore him being in the lineup is a positive.

3. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

I'm a bulls fan and there is no way in hell I would want to trade a outspoken, unselfish, leader that makes his teammates better(rose) and a explosive, intense, full of potential rookie (chandler) for a passive, underachieving, soft as tissue yet awesome dunker (carter). Vince is a terrific player, but.......naah.

4. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

You shouldn't look at it like that though...If Steve scores 24 in a game, you don't want him to give up 23 to, say, Derek Fisher, Mike Bibby, or Tony Parker, do you?

5. BTM

BTM Member

I watch 90% of Raptor games. You're smoked.

6. BTM

BTM Member

Bulls fans are a laugh a minute...

Rose makes his teammates better? Yah, that really happened in Indiana. Vince is better than Rose and Tyson will ever be. EVER BE. Chicago would do the deal in a heartbeat but the Raptors aren't that stupid. Tyson has potential but he will never be as big a superstar as Vince is now.

7. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Whoa whoa whoa buddy. Rose does make his teamates better. Chandlers averages have gone up, Currys have gone up, and so have Fizers. Only reason Vince has become a "superstar" is becuase of his dunking ability. How is a superstar defined by you? To me, a superstar is one that can lead his team to victory on his back, someone that's great all around, defense, offense, offcourt, and someone that has no problems working with their teammates and/or coaches. Vince has no defense, passes ball to others in final seconds, gets coaches fired, and gets teammates traded. Do you really want that kind of a guy on your team? Tyson can do defense, getting better on offense, hasn't been a problem, and is getting on his way to become a superstar....and he's only 19. NO WAY I do this deal.

8. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

Plz explain to me How Vince has underachieved??
    His 1st season he won ROY
    he won the dunk contest, helped his team to a much better record
    he got his team to the playoffs against New York but they lost, and then last year he got them to game 7 against Philly

Lets see what Chandler does in his Career,

9. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

I'm not talking about Indiana I'm talking about chicago. If you'd seen one chicago game the you'd see how the rest of the team has improved offensively not to mention what a confindence booster he has been.

Are you Miss Cleo?? How in the hell do you know how good Rose/Chandler will be together or how big Tyson will be in the future? Once again why would anybody trade a rookie whos potential is limitless and a vocal leader who makes his teammates better for a guy who has to be called out to play at his ability. I'm sure glad you aren't a gm.:rolleyes:

#29 Strange Fruit, Mar 9, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2002
  10. Strange Fruit

Strange Fruit Member

When I said underachived I meant in terms of effort. He has the ability to go farther in this league, but his attitude IMO is holding him back.

Like I said before, give me a intense, aggressive rookie whose potential is limitless over a soft, passive guy who takes basketball advise from his mother.:rolleyes:

#30 Strange Fruit, Mar 9, 2002
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2002
  11. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Jalen doesn't make the team better in the sense that helps make other players around him better. He makes the team better only in the sense that he is now their best player.

There is a difference.

The elite players are the ones who make individual players around them better, ala Jason Kidd.

Then there are players who make teams better because they are relied upon a lot, ala Steve Francis.

Rose fits in the Francis category.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Last season, didn't VC have a string of game winning shots? Abeit scrub teams, but he had a few.