1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Five Sleepers with the Most Potential

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DCkid, Mar 6, 2002.

1. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Every season I like to pick out a couple of young players, who I think have potential to eventually become great NBA players. Most of these guys haven't really proven much of anything yet, but by watching them you can see the up-side. I wondered if anyone else had some in mind so I know who to look out for. Here's mine.

Ricky Davis - From what I've the seen the guy has ups like Jason Richardson and Vince Carter. Anyone with that much athleticism has a chance in the NBA.

Eddie Robinson - Damn, when he was with Charlotte I thought he was going to be top-notch one day. I thought he was going to have a breakout season with the Bulls, but it hasn't really happened yet. But with his sweet jumper, I still think he could end up being quite a player.

Courtney Alexander - He'll eventually be a 20ppg scorer. I don't think there's hardly anybody in the NBA with more of a jumpshot. I mean, when he releases the ball he is high in the air. He's got quickness you wouldn't believe. You can tell the guy lives to play basketball.

Jonathen Bender - To be honest, I haven't really seen him play very much. But a guy with that much length who is a good 3-Pointer shooter? If he can bulk up he'll be a solid NBA player.

Quentin Richardson - I guess he's actually already pretty damn good, but he should leave because he deserves to start somewhere. I wouldn't mind the Rockets somehow acquring him if they think he could play SF.

2. Live

Live Member

Great list.

How about:

Joe Johnson - Boston made a BIG mistake trading this versatile, athletic talent. First of all, Johnson was the best player involved in the trade, and he was moved along with Boston's #1 for 2 solid players, a potential star and the chance to draft another solid player for 2 solid rotation players. :confused: Secondly, isn't Rogers scheduled to be a FA this year and is not a sure bet to return to Boston? :confused: So now the Suns have a lineup of:

C - Jake (for now)
    PF - Googs (for now)
    SF - Marion
    SG - Johnson (can share the ball-handling duties with Marbury, free up Marbury to look for own shot more)
    PG - Marbury
    6th - Hardaway

plus a lotto pick and a mid-first round pick to add at least 2 solid players to the rotation. Boston gets 2 rotation players who can score, but aren't any closer to being a legitimate contender in the East. Point, set, match for Phoenix!

Ricky Davis - what you said.

Courtney Alexander - what you said.

Andre Miller - OK, so he's not a sleeper, but people just don't realize just how good this guy is. He's running a close 3rd to Kidd and McGrady as the best G in the East.

Kwame Brown - And to think, the Wiz almost made a trade as bad as the Boston-Phoenix trade, all ready to give up on Mr. Brown. People are disappointed with Kwame, but what did you really expect, the guy was drafted out of HS and was\is more G than F. And he hasn't been a total bust, he's had a few slivers of brilliance. When the dust settles, Kwame should still be one of the best players to come out of last year's draft, there is just too much talent and potential there. For a precedent I have 2 words for you: Tracy McGrady.

3. Smallz88

Smallz88 Member

Keon Clark

4. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

[SARCASM]Jason Collier - has yet to demonstrate his lights out jump shooting. He can bang with all the opposing centers, block shots, and hustle. Simply an athletic specimen who can play all 5 positions much like Lamar Odom.[/SARCASM]

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Not that you're wrong, but on Boston's end it was solely a salary cap issue.

6. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

I think Gerald Wallace has some largely untapped potential.

I also think Al Harrington is a stud waiting to happen.

7. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Speaking of Boston and players with potntial, what the hell happened to Joe Forte out of North Carolina? I think he has a great game and isn't being properly utilized by the Celtics. I know he's bit short for a swingman, but at 6'4" he is the same height as Cuttino.

8. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

If I'm not mistaken, Bos is nowhere close to being under the cap.

If anything, they'd be avoiding the Lux Tax.

9. knifejc

knifejc Member

I agree with you and say Gerald Wallace...If he can develop a constitant jumpber anda legitimate 6'7" i wouldn't mind him playing the 3 for the Rockets.

10. BTM

BTM Member

1) Keon Clark
    2) Al Harrington
    3) Courtney Alexander
    4) Quentin Richardson
    5) Donnell Harvey

Eddie Robinson had his chance.