1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1988 Hakeem Starting LineUp

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by Dirt, Feb 25, 2002.

1. Dirt

Dirt Member

I just picked up one of these recently+was wondering if anyone would be interested in it?

2. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

You should hang on to it. Many of the Starting Lineups, especially the earlier versions (1988 being the first year released) are extremely rare and sought after.

Unfortunately, Hakeem was way over-produced, and many are left of him in the original box, mint condition, so he's really not near as valuable as some of the other ones from that year.

I would hang on to it, Starting Lineup stopped producing figures this year after almost 14 years running, a pretty good run for a toy that turned into a collectable.

The values will probably initially drop, but in a few years, people will realize how cool they are and the prices will probably start to move back up.

My Dad and I collected them since 1988 when I was 8 years old. We always thought that they were much better than collecting cards because you did get a card, plus the figure, plus you could pick out the ones you wanted and get your favorite players.

I'd hold on to it if I were you, especially if its sealed in good condition.

If its open, its cool to put up on a shelf.

3. Dirt

Dirt Member

SuperMac,
    So how many SLU's do you have? I have about 25,the majority of them being of Charles Barkley [my favorite player].

The Dream SLU is still in the package,but it is'nt in mint condition. If you're interested in trading for it,LMK.

4. Supermac34

Thanks for your offer to trade for the Hakeem, but I already have a couple, one sealed and in good condition, and one opened on my shelf.

I have about 1100 figures from all sports and years, including some pretty rare ones.

My favorites being my 1988 Nolan Ryan, sealed, and my 1988 Tony Dorsett sealed.

5. Dirt

Dirt Member

WOW......

Where do you store them all?

I could kick myself for passing up a bunch of opened SLU's at the last ballcard show I was at.I saw several 1988 Roger Clemens,Ozzie Smiths+others.

If you have any doubles of Juan Samuel figures that you want to get rid of,LMK.Also interested in older Phil Eagles[Quick,Randall etc].

6. Supermac34

We have an extra bedroom that we've converted into a "collecting room." We put up pegboard on three of the walls and hang them up, just like you were in a toy store.

We also collected, over the years tons of other kinds of toys, including Star Wars, X-Men, Spawn, Hot Wheels, and a few others that come up. Starting Lineups are by far the main collectable we have.

Sorry, dont have any Juan Samuels. I just have one early Randall, in fact, its the only Cunningham I have, so I probably won't part with it. In fact, I've been proud to never have sold a single figure, allthough I've traded for a few when I've had a few extras of someone.

Check out Ebay, you can find some steals sometimes, as well as some of the older figs that you can't find elsewhere.