1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Curb Your Enthusiasm" proves man innocent of murder

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by drapg, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Dodgers 4
    Catalan 0

2. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la-me-interrogate2-2008jul02,0,2498680,full.story

I was reading about this case in the Los Angeles Times today, boy is it screwed up.

The teenaged girl who was killed was essentially set up by the police. She had apparently witnessed a murder but refused to implicate the person the police believed to be responsible (who was not Catalan's brother, though the brother was apparently thought to be involved in the original murder). So, during an interrogation of their suspect, the police told this gang member they believed to be a cold-blooded murder that the 16 year-old had picked him out of a photo array and made a statement that he was the killer.

The police even brought the suspected cold-blooded murderer a picture of the 16 year-old for some reason.

Their ruse failed to elicit the desired confession, so they put a microphone in the gang member's holding cell. A microphone that actually managed to record this cold-blooded murdering gang member arranging for the 16 year-old girl the police had just set up to be murdered herself.

But they apparently didn't bother to get anyone who spoke Spanish to listen to the tapes for two years.

They practically signed this young girl's death warrant.

It's interesting reading stories like the original posted here that talk about the young girl testifying against Mario Catalan, given that her actual testimony was apparently essentially non-responsive and that she was apparently called to testify in order to try and get her to place blame on the other guy, not on Mario Catalan.

Crazy stuff.

3. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

Exactly. The Office is the same way.

I'm watching Arrested Development as I'm typing this, actually.

4. cardpire

cardpire Member

depending on how this ends, or depending on the ending a good writer can come up with, this story would make an incredible movie.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

That episode was the last one I saw.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Prettttty, prettttty, pretttty good news for this guy. :)

Love me some LD.

7. orbb

orbb Contributing Member

i was about to berate you for reopening a dead thread, but wow... i wonder how many times this happens. If you are too poor to get good legal representation, you're screwed.

8. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I still think he did it.

9. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I didn't realize this was an old thread until I saw a MacBeth post...then I immediately looked at the date and it made more sense.

Crazy story.

10. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's some crazy police misconduct...thought it only happened in The Shield...guess not.