1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets offering deal to Brent Barry (also updates on Landry, Horry)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roflmcwaffles, Jun 30, 2008.

1. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

There hasn't been actual dialogue, but both Horry and Morey have stated the mutual interest.

Horry said his first choice is to sign with the Spurs, and if that doesn't get done, then the Rockets are his choice.

"Robert Horry is one the free agents we will take a look at," Morey said.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/p...n=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

2. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

thanks

3. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

yes ,i can't agree more man.i suggested morey he trade landry to torento for the 1st draft in 06,who will not have a line-up position any longer.the italian is young ,but my idea makes no sense unless torento accepts the deal. :eek:

4. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Why not sign Carl Harrera, Mario Elie and Chucky Brown while we're at it?

I'm not a big fan of Barry or Horry at this point - both are too old. Its not like we are 2 old role players away from a championship.....

:rolleyes:

5. clutch citizen

Maybe we are. I'd argue veterans are more important to this team than younger guys because of rapidly closing windows of McGrady and Yao.

They don't have the luxury of letting young guys get experience and blossoming later.

Veterans who are as savvy as Barry could extend McGrady's minutes of rest. Everytime Luther Head checked in, Rockets fans braced themselves for the opponent's rally.

The Landry situation is really hurting what we can do with the MLE. If we give anyone even a small portion of the MLE, that difference could cost us Landry.

The LLE for Barry would be a great deal. Priority should be signing Landry so we know how much of the MLE, if any at all, we are dealing with

6. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

Agree that Veterans are more important than rookies.

Isn't there a Gilbert Arenas rule saying other teams can't offer more than we can match? so we can match any offer while being able to spend the MLE..sounds illogical I know but is it true?

7. clutch citizen

To my understanding, we can technically offer the MLE to Landry. Whether we decide that or not is a different story.

so if we offer only half of the MLE, teams can still offer the full MLE because that's what we COULD HAVE offered

8. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

I am down with getting them as long as they are really cheap. I don't know what we expect out of horry but I would definitely rather have him instead of novak. If we are going ot have someone sit on the bench and do nothing for the whole season I'd hope it would be a player like horry who has the experience and leadership to stray these kids around. If we are getting Brent Barry I hope it means we are going to be looking for some trades to get us a good back up sg. I have a feeling morey has some tricks up his sleeves that'll make some people pee in their pants. I wonder if he has contacted Arenas at all...

9. Agentzero

Agentzero Rookie

:confused: if he is smart ,he should accept the proporsal offered by minnesotta in 06,they intend to trade KG and their 1st round pick(selected brandon Roy whom morey wanted most ) for t-mac and head and our 2nd round pick(picked novak ) . :mad: if morey had accepted it ,then we would have the fantastic line-ups ,Yao ,KG,Gay ,Roy .rafer. what a pity it was. :rolleyes: :D ;) :p :cool: :confused: :)

10. GoRoxFromDC

GoRoxFromDC Member

WHY THE HELL ARE WE INTERESTED IN ROBERT HORRY?????

CAN SOMEONE FILL ME IN?? PLEASE!?

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

12. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yeah, right! This was the same thinking when we traded Rudy Gay and Stromile Swift for Shane Battier. Rudy Gay would have been so perfect for this team NOW .... and yet our "win now" philosophy plods on into the future.

We are bent on building "safe" winning teams that are a tribute to mediocrity. Our Rockets are truly fearful of daring to be great.

13. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Here it is day 2 of free agency and the whining has already begun.... You people act like we have 20 mil under the cap to spend and boat loads of tradeable assets that other teams are just begging to get from us. Morey knows what he is doing. I'm sure he and Adleman talked about what players on the market could help the team. Just because it is not a 'popular' player like Maggette or Arenas, you think it wont help us. And who's to say this will be his ONLY move? Can you just chill and let the man do his job before you start knocking the proposed moves? Let the plan unfold.

The minute Barry comes in a game and is making plays for us you will love him and then praise Morey for stealing him from the spurs.

Barry opted out of his contract yesterday so it looks like we have a shot at him. I like it.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Morey wasn't our GM then. Great work!

15. rua2006

rua2006 Member

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Here ya go....part 1.

"The Rockets began the free-agent recruiting period with an 11 p.m. call to Spurs guard Brent Barry on Monday, Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said.
    The Rockets telephoned Barry as soon as NBA rules allowed in an effort to land the free agent, who got away last season when he was released by the Seattle SuperSonics but chose to return to the San Antonio Spurs. -- Houston Chronicle"

part 2

"The Rockets began free-agency negotiations with a call to San Antonio Spurs guard Brent Barry, but indicated interest in Carl Landry by offering Barry the lower level exception, leaving whatever portion of the mid-level that might be needed to match an offer Landry might accept. -- Houston Chronicle"

And Landry....

"Rockets Trying To Undercut Landry's Value?
    Carl Landry | Rockets
    With the Rockets seeking additional medical tests before extending a contract offer to restricted free agent Carl Landry, Landry's agent shot back that the request was designed to frighten off other suitors and said the tactic has backfired.
    Agent Buddy Baker said Tuesday that Landry has no health issues, and that Dr. James Andrews declared Landry's right knee to be sound.

"Obviously, I view it as a move on (Morey's) part to undercut his value and dissuade the interest he has garnered," Baker said. "The reverse has happened. Teams have taken the position that he will not match offers. That has opened the floodgates. They are operating as if (Landry) was an unrestricted free agent." -- Houston Chronicle

And the necessary link

DD

17. clutch citizen

the problem isn't Shane Battier. He's a GREAT role player. The problem is all too often does Shane Battier have to be on of the top scorers on the team because McGrady and/or Yao get(s) injured. And if you have to rely on Battier being a top 3 scorer on any team, you're in trouble.

If Yao and McGrady are healthy, this team is a championship contender. I don't care about all that get out of the first round hoopla. Look at Boston, went from one of the worst to the best...and that's with a bunch of stars who barely got out of the 1st round in their respective careers themselves.

You don't win 22 straight if you're a bad team. The Rockets are a good team, but they HAVE to be healthy. The bench is weak. Adding veterans, not young players, will help the second unit maintain the quality of play. Vets will wait for a good shot, young players will try to score so they can stay in the rotation. When young players do that, then you have to put McGrady back in so he can put the pressure back on the other team. With veterans, they'll be savvy enough to keep the lead for as long as they can...holding the ball, making more passes, playing the clock, etc.

The Rockets have the future in mind as well anyway. Greene, Brooks, Novak, and hopefully Landry all provide potential to contribute sooner or later. That's enough young players to have on your roster. Get the vets here, and let's continue the win-now philosophy. All it takes is McGrady and Yao to play a healthy season.

18. rua2006

rua2006 Member

Well that's nothing new. Lame, teasing Rumor Central.

19. mms

mms Member

Barry for LLE and Landry for MLE, that's pretty much what Morey can do to FAs.

BTW, your guy Udrih accepted MLE and will stay in sac for 5 more yrs.

20. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

"operating as if he were an unrestricted free agent."

That is the dumbest thing anyone has ever said. The only difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent is that the team can match offers for a restricted free agent.

If teams are acting like landry is an unrestricted free agent...is Baker assuming that they will offer him more money or something. If anything wouldn't you want to offer the restricted free agent more money so the original team will not match it. This is beyond me...Someone care to explain what he meant by this.

My conclusion...Landry will be back with a three year deal worth 2 or 3 million.
    Brent Barry signs for the LLE. Peitrus overvalues himself and doesn't accept the full MLE and screws himself over and then signs with us for whatever is left of the MLE or a s&t worth the MLE for Luther Head + Chuck hayes