1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does the hiring of Ron Zook at UF cue Grossman's departure to the NFL?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Band Geek Mobster, Jan 10, 2002.

?

Will Grossman leave for the NFL now that UF has hired Ron Zook?

1. Yes, his value is high now, Ron Zook sucks, and the QB crop is weak this year.

8 vote(s)
    72.7%
  2. No, he'll stay to get the Heisman and improve his draft standing.

3 vote(s)
    27.3%
  1. Band Geek Mobster

Does the hiring of Ron Zook at UF cue Grossman's departure for the NFL?

I was thinking about bumping back up that other Grossman thread at the bottom of the page, but I notice Grossman has hardly even been mentioned after the 1st page.

For anyone unaware with the UF situation, the now former Defensive Coordinator of the New Orleans Saints, Ron Zook, has been hired as head coach of the University of Florida.

Anyway, I heard part of the guy’s press conference tonight, and I must say, as a Florida State fan, I love this hiring. This guy sounds like a bumbling idiot with very little charisma. When I turned on the radio, I thought I was listening to Dave Campo (Cowboys "coach" aka Jerry Jones' puppet). He seemed like a nice guy, but he couldn't speak a sentence without struggling through every other word. The guy doesn't seem very good at motivating anyone...

A connection he had with UF before being hired was that he was the former defensive coordinator at UF. The funny thing was that Steve Spurrier thought Zook was doing such a bad job, that he demoted him to Special Teams...he did however promote back to Def. Coordinator, but Zook left soon after that for the NFL.

His Saints defense was only mediocre this year, finishing 15th in the NFL in Yards/Game and 27th in Points.

Anyway, the guy seems like a bad choice to me, and Spurrier didn't do his AD any favors by quitting a week before underclassmen can declare for the draft.

A positive for Zook is that he's a good recruiter that helped UF recruit many players in the Jacksonville area.

He just didn't look like it to me, if I were Grossman; I'd bail for the NFL. This would be the perfect time for a QB to leave early because the next couple years should have much better prospects (Simms, Dorsey, Manning, etc) than the current QB's (Carr and Harrington) in the draft...

#1 Band Geek Mobster, Jan 10, 2002
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2002
  2. Band Geek Mobster

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

If they had gotten Shannahan or Stoops, I think he would have stayed. I say he goes for a big signing bonus and rides the pine and learns the NFL for 2 years