1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Need An Additional Lexus Key

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by gucci888, Jan 7, 2008.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I need an additional key for a 1999 Lexus RX300, I've lost all copies except the valet key. Getting a key from the dealer can cost like $250, anyone know of where I can get one for cheaper? They have a bunch of on-line sites that will do it but I need one that is cut and programmed.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I bought my 98 lexus from the dealer used years ago. The dealer said he had 2 keys but would have to mail me the other one...weeks turned months and I got spooked and bought another 1. I called locksmiths and they said they couldn't help me because of the chip. So I called Lexus and ordered a key (you can call it in with your VIN). They will get you a cut key with the chip for less than $100. Then you can have them program it for you (more money) or get instructions off of the internet - I've forgotten the steps but I might still have the instructions somewhere. But if I remember right, you have to have 1 already programmed key to program the new key - not sure the valet counts.

A week or so later the dealer mailed.

3. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Can't help you there. I use a flathead screw driver for my car.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Just do the Metro. No keys required.

5. dsnow23

dsnow23 Contributing Member

I ordered a key on ebay for about $20. You have to take it and have it cut by a locksmith or your local hardware store. If you take it to a locksmith, they'll probably program it for you for a much lower fee than the dealership. Or, if you can follow simple instructions, you can do it yourself for free. The "programming" is just a series of turning the key on or off and stepping on the brake pedal a certain number of times. Big scam by auto manufacturers to make more money for the dealerships if you ask me.

6. gucci888

When you say "programming" does that mean programming the alarm? Can you take it to any locksmith?

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

He's talking about programming the key. Inside the key is a chip that is additional security against theft. That chip in the key must be programmed to match the reciever in the dash (kind of like the new keyless cars). It is a series of hokey steps to program it but again - I think you have to have 1 working key and the valet key may work.

8. gucci888

Made a couple calls and read some forum material, looks like its gonna cost me quite a bit of cash to get this done.

According the both Lexus dealerships (Sterling McCall and Westside), I will have to get the computer replaced since I do not have a master key. I was able to get Lexus to cover the cost of the computer, but both dealerships still quoted me prices of $775-$850 for labor + the cost of 2 keys ($195 per key).

A service rep did give me a number of a place where they can "reflash" the computer and get me 2 new keys (1 w/ remote and 1 w/o remote) for $600.

This sucks!!

9. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

whoa! what the hell man! what kinda lexus do you have????

10. gucci888

1999 RX300. Just got of the phone w/ a company that does reflashing and reprogramming. They'll reprogram the ECM (computer) and send me 2 master keys (1 remote + 1 w/o remote). They charge $350 which is WAY cheaper than anywhere else but I would have to personally remove and overnight the ECM to Ohio and be w/o a car for 3 days, then have to reinstall and program the keys (which they claim is very easy to do).

I'm starting to lean towards paying the guy $600 to reflash it since he's in Houston and could do it in an hour.

11. slamdunk179

slamdunk179 Member

I only have one spare key left with no master key, so when I thought I lost my key they told me it would cost close to $2000 to re-program the computer (complete bs if you ask me)...where is the guy who can do it for $600 located at....just in case i ever lose my key

12. gucci888

He's located at Nasa Road 1, pretty far from where I am (mid-town), but they'll do it in a hour or so.

13. TrailerMonkey

TrailerMonkey Member

I don't understand some you people here. Why would you need two keys for your vehicle? Two people obviously can't drive one care at the same time. And I can't say I've ever had the need to have more than 1 key for the car I drive since my wife doesn't have a driver's license and doesn't have a need to leave the house really. I mean I do have two cars but my old car sits on 4 cinder blocks in front of my house and doesn't go nowheres. In emergency situations, the wife knows how to dial 9 1 1. Confused.. :confused:

14. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

I misplaced my key once...or twice...
    Instead of wasting time looking for it in the morning I just used the spare.

15. Rockets Red Glare

Rockets Red Glare Contributing Member

Man that just sounds classy! :D

16. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Maybe these fancy cars are not worth it? ;)