1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SI} Parcells to Miami

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by armyman7894, Dec 19, 2007.

1. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

Coach near four-year deal to lead football operations

DAVIE, Fla. (AP) -- Bill Parcells' day began with reports he would rebuild the Atlanta Falcons. It ended with him on the cusp of taking the same job with the Miami Dolphins.

Parcells and Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga agreed Wednesday on a four-year contract to be Miami's vice president of football operations, according to ESPN, which employs the two-time Super Bowl-winning coach as an analyst.

The Dolphins declined comment, only saying no contract has been signed, and no one at Huizenga's business office was authorized to comment when reached Wednesday evening by The Associated Press.

Miami's players were also caught off-stride by the news, which broke after they finished practice.

"I don't know anything," defensive end Jason Taylor said.

So, for the second time in less than a week, an off-field story is dominating the conversation at Miami's training complex.

The first revelation came last Friday: Huizenga has been in talks about selling the team to two real estate developers for about $1.1 billion. Huizenga later said those discussions had been going on for months, and the story has since changed to the billionaire owner considering selling only a 49 percent stake in the team.

And now this: Parcells, who previously coached the Giants, Patriots, Jets and Cowboys, is apparently set to return to the NFL.

"Really?" defensive lineman Vonnie Holliday said when told by The AP about Parcells' apparent interest in the Dolphins. "You can't control it. But somebody like the Big Tuna, regardless of who's in the front office or who's not, brings a lot of respect and a lot of credibility with him. He's a Hall of Famer. If you're a free agent out there, that might draw you in."

Parcells is not in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

When the Falcons announced Parcells turned them down -- while also releasing the details of his talks with the Dolphins -- several Miami players were playing cards and dominoes in the locker room.

Many immediately turned their attention to the television, seeking more information. Clearly, the mere mention of Parcells coming to Miami created an immediate buzz.

"I have a lot of respect for what he's been able to do in other places and I'd expect, if he did come in here, for him to do the same," Holliday said. "I don't know what's going to happen upstairs. I have no idea. I have a lot of respect for (GM) Randy Mueller, as well. But my interest is in what's best for this team and getting us in the right direction."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/nfl/12/19/bc.fbn.falcons.parcells.ap/index.html

Thank god he's not coaching again, let's see how he fares at head of operations. And damn what a crappy position he put himself into, hopefully he can bring the Dolphins to some relevance.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Anybody else hate Parcells? God I hate that clown.

;)

3. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

I dont hate him at all, It's just the guy is way overdue to retire.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Take the Miami Job
    cause then he and THE HOODIE can go at it

Rocket River

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If Cam Cameron's days weren't numbered before...

How long before the Tuna gives him the boot?

The Dolphins are probably the worst franchise (given the resources) in NFL history. In other words, for a franchise that has history they do an awful lot of sucking.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Got to admit he knows how to play teams against each other.....probably for MEGA bucks.

DD

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Well, he is moving to Florida.

[​IMG]

8. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

The guy has turned around every franchise he's coached. If I was a Miami fan I'd be real happy about this.

9. armyman7894

armyman7894 Member

Hes not coaching, hes more like their GM.

10. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

He's going to be more powerful than the GM...more like team president. He will have control over all personnel (on and off the field) and team decisions. He will basically be running the team and the GM and head coach will be his b!tches.

11. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

He did a great job collecting talent for the cowboys. He just didn't use them right, I think.