1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which PG do we go after?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MacYao223, Dec 13, 2007.

1. tharges

tharges Member

I believe you got it with Snuggle and Cuddles we are too soft and nobody that can take it to the rack at the end of games. We rely on jump shots and when you got the biggest pick in the league in Snuggle and the one of the best slashers in Cuddles that can take it to the rack and finish! The problem T-Cuddles is in love with the jump shot! and 30ft to boot! Ego! Its all about possessions and we don't make the right decisions at the end of games, last night is a prime example almost blew it!

2. AXG

AXG Member

I'd like Jack or Calderon because of their youth and their ability to knock down shots. Bibby would be a dream to have but I doubt the Rockets have enough to get him. Ridnour and Watson are completely inconsistent shooters who are paid too much. Andre Miller is a great playmaker but he has no range on his shot. I want somebody who is able to hit open threes and Miller doesn't provide that-neither does Rafer.

3. justcallmejoe

justcallmejoe Contributing Member

don't know about you guys.... but i'm tired of getting all these new players year in year out, why don't we work with what we have... someone who i think is decent enough of a player in Aaron Brooks.... break him in to the league and finally give them a chance to grow together as a team.

i know clock might be ticking for our 2 stars, and how Adelman might be less willing to start a rookie ahead of those veterans, but didn't it worked with Cassell back in the days....

4. hooroo

hooroo Member

unless a player is new to the league... if it doesn't work, it just doesn't work.

5. mms

mms Member

Bibby or Kidd. We can have our big 3.

6. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Three options:
    1. Mike Bibby. I would trade anyone on this team now except for Yao and Mac for him when he is healthy. He runs RA's system very well and he is such a clutch shooter. The problem is, he is not healthy and he is a bit old.

2. Jason Kidd. Elite point guard, but I am afraid Rock doesn't have enough chip to get him.

3. Calderon. Anyone who watch him play will believe he can the next Steve Nash. His court vision, passing skills, turn over to assist ratio are absolutely stunning. He is a lot younger than the previous two and still improving. The only problem is whether he can defend Deron and CP.

7. hooroo

hooroo Member

Calderon is in a contract year. Toronto would want more than just Snyder. If Rockets gave up more they're potentially looking at a one year rental when it's all said and done.

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Any PG in the West (and most in the East) would be a step up, especially in shooting. Nobody shoots worse than Rafer. What NBA player misses "HORSE" shots?

9. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Agree with the logic but here's the reality. The Rockets don't have any trade commodities except for Battier. That's it. They are not going to get the likes of Calderon for Luther Head and Chuck Hayes. So you are quickly left with what kind of PG is Battier worth in trade.

The Mavericks have averaged 58 wins over the last 6 seasons. They paraded (the younger more expensive) Juwan Howard, Antawn Jamison, Raef LaFrentz, Antoine Walker, Keith VanHorn and Austin Croshere through their locker room. All with hefty contracts...all able to be dealt. Or, left to expire for cap relief.

After Yao and McGrady, all other Rockets make MLE $ or less. Most make much less. When you have small contracts....you can only make small deals.

#29 GATER, Dec 13, 2007
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2007
  10. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

I would trade Battier, Rafer for Calderon and Delfino/Graham/Humpries with a heart beat

11. rterry

rterry Contributing Member

Why don't we get Aaron Brooks? I hear he gets to the hoop and is very good from 3 point land.

12. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

It's not hard to have more than zero, and having handles is a job requirement for the point guard position last time I checked.

Extreme confidence comes with that ridiculous ego, which allows him to hit clutch shots. We have too many players that are afraid to shoot at times (Luther being one of them). I'm not sure what you mean by "baggage".

13. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah...who wouldn't.

Problems:

1. None of those trades mentioned worked salary wise. Calderon, Delfino, Graham and Humphries all make peanuts. Shane + Rafer for all 4 players works, but...

2. The secret on Calderon seems to be out. Except for the defense, Delfino gives you more production than Shane in less time. Let's forget about the salary cap for a while and assume any combination of the Raptors players would work, and you did Calderon + Humphries for Shane + Rafer. The only reason the Raptors do this is if it is at the trade deadline and they are really concerned about getting nothing back for Calderon because he is un-signable in the offseason.

I think Jose Calderon would be freaking awesome! But, unless there is some 3 team package out there that is equitable to everyone, I see no way the Rockets get him.

We should focus on obtainable PG's if that is a move we really want to make.

14. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

Some of ya'all are forgetting Sam Mitchell was glad to trade Alston away. IIRC, they had a some major disagreements.

If that's not enough, the Raptors under Colangelo want to be PHX East...scratch Alston and Battier.

15. Tha TC

Tha TC Member

TJ is more likely going to come here than us getting Calderon....

Steve Blake
    Jarret Jack
    Earl Watson
    Kyle Lowry

Those are all realistic... TJ got an extension and Calderon is in a contract year and Toronto is going to match EVERY offer for him no questions asked... T.J. would be ideal but i doubt he'll find his way back to the houston area... plus if i saw his brother parading around talking s#*t i'd probably kick him in the groin to where his testicles replaced the tonsils he had removed as a child...

16. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

If I were Morey....I'd have great seats ....no, well, yes, but I mean I would:

trade Battier and a lottery protected #1 in 2008 for Steve Blake, Josh McRoberts and the rights to Rudy Fernandez.

The Trailblazers might do it because they get a steady player and good influence for all their youngsters. The Rockets would do it because we get a point guard who can distribute and sink a basket when needed (as opposed to just shooting), a taller PF to replace the clueless Landry, and a tall SG with speed, savvy and ability.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

why give them a draft pick?

18. luisantonio1014

That's what I've been saying all along. When he plays, he really sets the tone for his team and gets them going. He should be a starter. We should definitely go after him.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

All the better ... but I don't think they would give us Fernandez without a little something extra. Think they would take Hayes? :)

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I've posted this in every point guard thread, it works, and kinda makes sense.

Rafer, Bonzi, and Brooks for Andre Miller.

Why Houston does it? Well, they don't unless Miller agrees to an extension, but they get a middle of the pack PG, who's a good fit, for a shot-in-the-dark prospect, a bad point guard, and their (currently) worst rotation player. They free up a roster spot for Mike Harris.

Why Philly does it? Andre Miller is not part of their plans, so they should get something for him. They get a cheaper veteran PG to replace the outgoing one, and he should help develop their young talent. They get a decent post up guard that they can use this year, but more importantly he comes off the books this year. And they get a young guard with some promise (shot-in-the-dark though it may be).