1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bob Knight blasts Compaq Center

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Major, Dec 16, 2001.

1. Major

Major Member

[I dunno if this should be in the Hangout or here, but it's Compaq Center-related, so I put it here]

http://espn.go.com/ncb/news/2001/1216/1296671.html

<I>HOUSTON -- An arena manager says Bob Knight cursed him and offered to fight when he confronted the Texas Tech coach over remarks about the building's locker rooms.

Jerry MacDonald, general manager of the Compaq Center, said Sunday that he approached Knight after the coach criticized the size of its locker rooms following a game Friday night. Knight responded with a flurry of profanity, MacDonald said.

"He said, `If you want to settle this right now, let's step outside,"' MacDonald said Sunday. "I could not believe what I was hearing. I said, `Step outside and settle the size of our locker rooms? Are you nuts?"'

Houston television station KRIV first reported MacDonald's account Saturday. MacDonald repeated the allegations in an interview with The Associated Press.

Knight, fired as coach at Indiana after a series of outbursts, was unavailable for comment, preparing his team for its next game.

Team spokesman Randy Farley said he saw the meeting between Knight and MacDonald, on a loading dock that leads to where team busses are parked. While saying he could not hear what was said, Farley added that he never considered the situation to be confrontational.

"At no time did Coach raise his voice or respond unprofessionally to a situation that was foisted upon him," Farley said. "To the contrary, the coach talked calmly and quietly with the Compaq (Center) employee before getting on the bus and taking his seat."

Gerald Myers, Tech's athletic director, said his only knowledge of the situation was what Farley had told him. He said the spokesman assured him it "wasn't a loud exchange."

After Tech defeated Houston 71-64 in the nightcap of a doubleheader, Knight used his news conference to criticize the 25-year-old facility, which also is home to the Houston Rockets.

<B>"Just look around. Check the facilities out a little bit. We had a dressing room originally that would have been very, very cramped with four midgets,"</B> Knight said.

MacDonald said that the recently refurbished dressing room was designed by the Rockets and meets NBA standards. He said he told Knight he didn't appreciate the coach's comments about his arena and began explaining some of the building's history when Knight erupted with a string of expletives, followed by the offer to go outside, then more profanity.

"I've been in this business 26 years at two NBA arenas, and I've never come across an individual like this," MacDonald said, calling Knight "the most arrogant, disrespectful and spoiled" person he's met.

Myers said Knight asserted his First Amendment privileges after MacDonald approached him. He added that MacDonald, who was at the news conference, should have defended his building right there instead of choosing to do it afterward.

"He provoked the whole situation by following Bob out to the bus," Myers said.

Knight was dismissed after a storied and stormy career at Indiana, which finally tired of his on- and off-court tirades in September 2000 after school officials said he violated a zero-tolerance edict on his behavior.

This is his first season at Tech.

MacDonald also was disappointed Knight never took time to mention that the approximately 8,000 ticket sales to the night's two games -- Texas Tech-Houston and Texas A&M-Tulsa -- raised money for charities.

"It was a well-played game, and the guy just ruined it," MacDonald said. "He just blew it."

Only Madison Square Garden in New York is older than Compaq Center among NBA arenas. A new basketball-hockey arena is set to open downtown in 2003, and there are plans to convert Compaq Center into a huge church.
    </I>

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Doin' Texas Tech proud.

At least he didn't try to violate someone with a goalpost. . .

3. Old School

Old School Member

He has every right to...it's a dump.

OS

4. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

That was just hilarious.

Looks like the Summit locker room isn't as fun as swirve.com. I wonder if monkeys could've dressed there?

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The place is bad but he's a COLLEGE COACH IN AN NBA ARENA. If he didn't like the conditions, he should have said so before they decided to play there.

6. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

What a bully. One of these days, Bob's gonna get what's coming to him.

7. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Wait till Bobby visits Austin.

He will take it up the *** by the team, fans, and facility.

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

WHAT???? You mean that Bobby Knight is a jerk?

Who KNEW !!!

DaDakota

9. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

GET YOUR GUNS UP BABY!!!!

Gotta love BK!

10. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

You're damn right. We'll be there in the "O-Zone" taunting that classless SOB. I plan on bringing a "What's Up Knight?" sign, with an upwards arrow for "up." It's gonna be wild as TJ Ford, Owens, and co. pound the Red Raiders into submission.

Knight's going to wish he was back in Compaq Center.

11. Smokey

MacDonald is an idiot. He sent Knight and the Tech administration a letter of apology for his behavior.

What behavior? From MacDonald's interview with Fox 26, it sounded like he calmly approached Knight to have a discussion about Tech's inconvenience. It appeared like Knight was the agitator.

The letter of apology makes it appear like MacDonald is the one who initiated the confrontation. The big heads have told MacDonald to STHU!!! I bet MacDonald was not using a friendly tone with Knight. Of course Knight's gonna go off.

I kinda wish Knight would have beat his ass.

12. Old School

Old School Member

If you've been listening to some of the radio talkshows you would understand that it was McDonald that initiated the confrontation. As I heard it, after the press conference where Knight blasted the crappy lockerroom his team was initially put in (later the Rockets lockerroom)...McDonald yelled out: "well, we won two championships here coach...". Knight did not respond. McDonald later went out to the buses to confront Knight again and that's when everything went down.

Imo, McDonald was asking for trouble. That's part of the reason McDonalds superiors suggested he send a letter of apology.

Bottom line: the Compaq Center is NOT set up to host 4 teams. The new arena will be the answer to all woes.

OS

13. E.J. Tucker

E.J. Tucker Contributing Member

Why of course someone started the confrontation with Knight, that is the way it always happens. But then sometimes a person has a video camera and it shows the chokeing, then the chair throwing or the cusing someone out. But hey there was no camera this time and again the money and power wins out, the little man can apology or lose his job. It worked for years in Indiana and seems to be doing just fine in Texas.

14. Old School

Old School Member

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I agree with Old School.

The radio talk shows are all over McDonald. The guy got offended and got in Knight's face. I by no means am a Knight apologists, but it must get kinda frustrating for him to deal with idiots who scrutinize every word and action of his now.

There is nothing outragious about criticizing bad lockerrooms, and didn't OS say it was the second rate lockerrooms. McDonald is a dork for waiting outside on the concourse for Knight to board the bus. case closed.

16. Smokey

I agree OS and crispee.

Hopefully, MacDonald isn't the GM of the new arena.

17. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I am friends with a Rice coach that was there and overheard the actual events. Apparently, MacDonald didn't do or say anything out of line.

The word is that the apology was to cover up Bobby Knight since he is on a zero tolerance policy. The Compaq Center doesn't want to lose future business as Bobby Knight brings in money. So they conceded to Tech's requests to make an apology.

Now the school doesn't take heat for having Knight on the payroll.
    Texas venues still have Knight around to bring in larger crowds.

Make whatever assumptions you want about why, but the apology did not reflect the reality of the actual events.

18. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Have others complained so much about these facilities. I'm not in Houston, but this is the first I've heard of this....

19. Old School

Old School Member

Normally, 4 teams aren't playing on the same night so there is nothing to complain about. Knights complaint stemmed from a room that really isn't a "lockerroom". It's more of a dressing room. I think it his one shower and a toilet from what I've heard. After b****ing about it his team was moved to the Rockets lockerroom.

os