1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Poll That Will Never Appear on the Front Page

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by heypartner, Dec 17, 2001.

Tags:
?

What veteran best represents Clutch City Heart of a Champion

1. Francis

38 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. Mobley

23 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Thomas

51 vote(s)
    37.2%
  4. Cato

14 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Wizard

3 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Mo

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  7. Rice

4 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I'm not voting, but I will say this:

Rice is the only one with the Ring of a Champion.

2. Hydra

Hydra Member

3. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

hayesstreet --- matt bullard? mario elie?

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Hydra, who wants to trade Cuttino? You said he was untouchable, and I disagree there. Noone is untouchable, and that includes Steve.

BTW, barely winning beats barely losing everyday and twice on Sunday.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

And that explains why this poll will never appear on the front page how exactly?

Since it has to be a positive poll, how about: Which Rocket do you think has the highest shots attempted-to-illegal substance consumed ratio?

6. CBrownFanClub

CBrownFanClub Contributing Member

Clutch: Maybe this poll should go one the front actually.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Oh, don't take it personally. All Houston media outlets protect Stevie Franchise's image, even Fran Blinebury called out Canada as "igloo Bubbas." Hell, Fran protected Maurice even after his guilty plea to the public.

We all want this poll to be won by our franchise player, but, imo, there is no chance right now, when set against Kenny Thomas being helped by Mobley not losing any of his standard votes. So, my point was that would any significant media outlet put up such a poll when Francis's "Approval Rating" is at an all-time low. chuckie4 remarked in Old School's scoop thread that Francis is a PR nightmare. Forget about persecutions and alleged wrong doings, does chuckie4's objective take represent popular sentiment regarding who carries the torch of our much cherished Rockets "Heart"? AND, could I get a media outlet to take such a poll? Thanks to the poll feature here, we can do our own.

Clutch City is a significant Rocket's media outlet in my mind. Should I have said, "A Poll That Will Never Appear in the Chronicle"? To me, even as a critique of cc.net as a media outlet, saying the "Front Page" rather than the "Chronicle" shows more respect for cc.net than the other way around.

8. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

9. Hydra

Hydra Member

Who wants to trade Cuttino?

And we were only winning fairly consistantly when they where both here, which was my point. The only reason I consider Mobes untouchable is because of the hometown discount he gave the Rockets. IMO it would be stabbing him in the back to ship him out unless he requested a trade. I will feel the same way if Steve signs for under 5 mil a pop.

10. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

"Heart of a Champion"

I guess by definition I would look for the player that:

1. plays hurt - when the team needs him,despite it being so easy just to deservedly say, "sorry I can't go tonight that ankle/arm/finger/glokenspeil is not responding well to my therapy/medication/rest/media scrutiny/teenage Asian masseuse/cannabis/alcohol"

2. plays hard - shift by shift and not game to game, regardless of the score, regardless of the W/L status, regardless of the quarter or the circumstances

3. plays the team game - sacrifices his body, passes relentlessly, follows RT's instrictions to the letter and involves his teammates

4. plays ready - as a starter or off the bench comes in and offers fresh, springboard energy banging on both ends of the floor to the best of their ability

Although I doubt any one player excels at all four points above, the only players I could honestly give nods to would be Kenny Thomas and Oscar Torres.

Oscar has been a surprise and is largely unheralded for his efforts. He does so while carrying the two major handicaps of (a) learning a new pro system and (b) doing so without the benefit of adequately understanding the English lanuage. His overall comparison to Super Mario is not lost on me. I see the same determined focus that Mario brought to our champion years.

But KT may get the eventual topknot. He quietly goes about his job, doesn't flinch when placed face to face with taller, more skilled opponents. He has played hurt as much as Mobes. And man, I just love the way he bangs inside and finesses all these triple coverage trees they throw at him. Feint, a first step, then spinning and finger rolling or baby hooking for the two.

If Kenny's efforts are the heart, then, maybe Oscar's efforts are the soul of the Houston Rockets.

#30 oeilpere, Dec 19, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2001