1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Food For Thought

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ClutchCityReturns, Nov 22, 2007.

1. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

The Phoenix Suns started 3-6 last season.

They won 61 games.

The Dallas Mavericks started 1-4 last season.

They won 67 games.

That's just 5 shy of the best record we've ever seen.

The Houston Rockets started 6-11 in 2004-2005.

Then they won 51 games, including a finishing run of 35-10.

The 2003 San Antonio Spurs opened their season 9-6 before winning the NBA Championship that June.

It's quite possible that the Rockets hold a 9-6 record by the time we all wake up on Tuesday.

The Rockets have played a brutal schedule, facing teams with a combined .722 winning percentage.

The Rockets won 80% (24-6) of their games vs. the East last season.

They have only played 2 games against the Eastern Conference and they only get 1 more this month.

San Antonio has played 4 games vs. East teams with 1 more coming this month.

The Lakers have played 4 games vs. East teams with 2 more coming this month.

New Orleans has played 5 games vs. East teams with 1 more coming this month.

Dallas has played 3 games vs. East teams, with another 3 coming this month.

Utah has already played 5 games vs. East teams, with another 3 coming this month.

Phoenix has already played 7 games vs. East teams with 1 more coming this month.

The Rockets have played two of the hardest back-to-back sets in existence (Mavs/Spurs and Spurs/Suns).

Three of those four games could have gone either way in the last few minutes, despite Tracy McGrady only playing in 2 of them.

They have a new coach.

They have a new system.

They have new players.

They have a lot of the same problems.

...and there are plenty of signs that things aren't nearly as bad as they seem.

#1 ClutchCityReturns, Nov 22, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2007
  2. ice_berg_slim

ice_berg_slim Member

So are you saying we're on pace to win a championshiop this year?

Sweet... I honestly think that too :rolleyes:

3. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Wow, I didn't even see that there was another thread with the title "Food for Thought" on the front page, kind of embarrassing. Well, at least both threads are positive and provide a glimmer of hope during this abysmal time. Sorry for using the same trite phrase, while you used it before me...

4. ClutchCityReturns

I do believe you have grossly exaggerated the intent of this thread.

5. azoghbi

azoghbi Member

Agreed, he did not say we would win a championship this year. He is merely saying people get off to rocky stars (especially with a ridiculous schedule like ours) so everyone should just relax for a second and think.

6. Mick

Mick Contributing Member

Exactly what I meant last night when I said that the Rockets still have a lot of cupcakes left on the schedule. You're not gonna build up a great record when you are playing the top teams night in and night out. This team just needs some time and they'll be fine. Maybe not fine as in winning the championship in their first year in the system, but fine as in being able to take some baby steps in the playoffs.

Mick

7. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

most important.

the system was sort of implemented last night more so than in the previous losses. that was encouraging. i still don't get the feeling adelman is on his toes enough to counter the matchups thrown at him. he seems to make few adjustments, but what do i know about what coach knows.

the problems of turnovers have improved some, and our defense also has regressed two or three points. especially on the transiton end of it.

thanks for the positive points. gets depressing in the bbs around these times.

8. RocketsMac

RocketsMac Member

CCR,
    I think you're missing the point here.. Dallas and Phoenix were in the finals and the 2nd round, respectively, the year before their dismal start.. in the season even before that, they were in the 2nd round and WCF, respectively.. so trust me, the dudes have been winning and they got what it takes to turn it around.. As for San Antonio, no explanation needed here, the know what they have and they've been able to turn it on in the end of the season and go all the way to the finals...

all these teams that you mentioned are proven WINNERS, we are not, we haven't been able to get out of the first round in 10 years, we are desperate at this point: we have a superstar that's losing "it" with every minute that passes by and I don't think a 2 years window is out of line here..

and I found it interesting that you mentioned the 6-11 04-05 rockets, because right at that particular record, 3 things happened:

1. Sura came back from his injury
    2. Jon Barry was acquired
    3. David Wesley was acquired closely right after
    4. Mike James was eventually acquired

those 4 moves are the ones that allowed us to turn it around, it doesn't mean that we were ultimately successful (1st round exit), but they were still enough to turnaround what looked like a dismal season into a successful 51-win season...

we've been promised with instant improvements to this team: our old franchise player chooses us from all the teams, we execute a clever trade to acquire Scola, Mike James and Bonzi come back and look like they are the end to our bench suckiness, we have a new coach that suppposedly emphasizes "motion" basketball or what I call "free" basketball where he doesn't have to call every play like JVG and the players are waaay more comfortable running the plays they think are right especially with the great decision making of Tmac.. what's our record? 6-6, worse than last years..

I am not hitting the panic button just yet, but I think we definitely need a fundamental move, not involving the 2 superstars, but involving the supporting cast.. and since I am free to dream, I am gonna suggest:

1. just like Sura came back after the 6-11 start, Franchise should start seeing some playing tiime after this ugly start..
    2. just like we acquired key players like James, Barry and Wesley in 04-05 to spark out turnaround, I say we package some of the players that aren't exactly beneficial for this team (I am not gonna be unfair to Alston because he played a great game, but again, that 3 he jacked up on that fastbreak imo killed our momentum). so a simple package of Head, Alston, and a draft pick for good shooting hard nosed guard would be great..

9. ClutchCityReturns

Let's not act as if the Rockets haven't been a really good team over the past few years. They took the Mavs to 7 games in 04/05 without home court and without their starting power forward. Yeah, it was only Juwan Howard, but he's light years ahead of Ryan Bowen and Clarence Weatherspoon. With Juwan, the Rockets probably win that series. Heck, even with a few correct calls in game 5, they probably win that series.

But they lost...to a team that went on to play in the NBA Finals the next season, and win 67 games the next.

Then last year, despite the extensive injuries, they won 52 games and took the Utah Jazz to 7 games. A loose ball bouncing their way and they win the series and possibly go all the way to the Western Conference Finals, which the Jazz eventually did.

I know wins are wins and losses are losses, but you can't completely throw out the characteristics of a playoff series. The truth is that in their last 3 trips to the playoffs, the Rockets have had to face one of the top 3 or 4 teams in the entire league IN THE FIRST ROUND. I'm not simply chalking their losses up to circumstance, but it's important to note that they haven't been ousted by cream puffs.

That's why it's not hard for me to believe that this team could go from not winning a series in a decade, to going a couple of rounds deep in just one season. With the right adjustments, including rotations and trades, this team could definitely be in the running in April.

No, I get it. It's only November 22nd.

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I tried saying that, people just got pissy, no love for the faithful my friend, no love.

11. Bohr

Bohr Member

These are all true, but do they have the heart of champion?

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I think so, look at the resurgence of the Mac. I think the Rocks are poised and excited, its just it's a growing period. Look at Golden State last season. When you've got sooo much new talent, it's hard to piece it all together, coach included. Realistically, Dallas vs. Golden State on paper was a lot closer than most thought. Houston is undergoing the same thing, just earlier in the season.

13. runamok

runamok Member

I never really thought of it that way, thanks for a great uplifting post. But it still kinda bothers me about the line up, and mcgrady being kind of hesitant after the injury, I hope he shakes out of it.

14. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

It's Thanksgiving. There is nothing wrong with too much food today.

15. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

it doesn't matter if we're on pace to win 60+ games. we clearly still don't have an answer to the elite teams of the west. that's what frustrates me.

16. ice_berg_slim

ice_berg_slim Member

I highly agree. To be honest, yes it does suck not having a better record. But when it comes down to it, the real upsetting part is still losing games down the stretch like we did so many times under JVG. That's hard to swallow since we have made the moves that were suppose to make us better as a whole.

Not to bash on the Celtics or anything, but their record is skewed considering the teams they have played thus far. Let's see them try to pull that here in Texas. The point is, the record isn't the end-all be-all.

I know it will take sometime to get the offense to truly click, but can we actually some fruition? I'm not saying championship right here and now. What I'd really like to see is the change in mentality when it gets close. It seems like we just lack the presence of mind in the end.

BTW, CCR, sorry about the exaggeration in the earlier posts. I haven't come to accept the lost from last night yet.

17. darnbni99a

darnbni99a Member

woo..good post. our early schedule is whack. we'll make it deep in the playoffs though

18. northeastfan

northeastfan Member

If we even make the playoffs ...

19. soulsong999

soulsong999 Member

CCR - great post! It helps me beat my mainly Clutchfans-posts-induced foul mood.

Our great 6-1 start raised the expectations of many here to an unhealthy height; we will definitely get better and this time it will not just be temporarily or illusional.

ss999

20. blackistan

blackistan Member

Im not worried about the regular season for the rockets its the playoffs that im worried about. If we cant learn to close out games in the regular season how will we do it in the playoffs where the stakes are higher and the pressure is greater.