1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where are all the Glen Rice defenders now?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by steve francis, Dec 7, 2001.

1. steve francis

steve francis Member

A few weeks ago, I said that the Glen Rice trade was a bust. Yet many people claimed that he just needed to "get in shape." That reminded me of the people who said that Pippen needed to "adjust" to the low post offense. Wake up people. The Pippen trade was a failure and so was the Rice trade. I'd rather have let Shandon just walk. The front office made a bad gamble and screwed up big time. Admit it!

2. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I agree becaus that argument holds no weight just like Taylor last yr. How come SAR,Brand,Coleman, and Smith can go to another team and make an impact, yet it takes Rockets players an entire yr and some to get adjusted? Brand is avg a ouble double and so is SAR. Kidd is impacting his team as well as Marbury. So why does it take so long for Rice, Taylor, and Anderson so long to adjust to the Rockets simple ass system? Its not like Eric Crouch going from Nebraska to the West Coast Offense. Rudy has shown that his offense doesn't involve the 3 and a good player can adjust more quickly than an avg to bad one.

Its just basketball , not Rocket science people!

3. T-roy

T-roy New Member

Hey guys Im new here. I really dont think that Glen Rice should be playing anyways because he is old and decrepid, and his legs are GONE. and when you have Oscar Torres waiting in the wings, you might as well give him some playing time along with our other youngins.

It sucks because now we get to see Walt Williams another old mo-fo and his INCONSISTENT play..... bummmer

:p

4. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Glen Rice turned out to be just another Walt Wiliams (look at the stats), who'da thunk it?

A lot of people, apparently.... :(

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Rice isn't nearly as bad as some people make him out to be, though he has been a dissapointment from what I expected. I think most people are giving hima chance because we know he can still shoot, we've seen him do it, shooters like that don't just lose their shot, EVER, its to automatic. Thirty Years from now, Glen Rice will be able to roll out of bed, walk outside, and rill jumper after jumper, so I'm not sure why he isn't doing it now. though, I suppose, I don't necesarily need to understand why, just that he isn't, but it would help to see if this is a temporary problem, or its something systemic that can't be fixed.

Anyways, I'm not ready to call the trade a bust yet, it hasn't turned out well so far, but the season is long(and its going to seem longer), and there's still time.

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Right here steve! Sorry that I'm not excited that a Rockets player is struggling like you seem to be. At least people gave Pippen a full season instead of ripping into after week 1 like people did to Rice. The reason Rice isn't shooting well is because his legs aren't back yet and people aren't even giving the guy a chance to get his legs back. Obviously he's not going to be able to guard people or shoot without his legs. God at least wait until the end of the season before you celebrate Rice's demise and complain about the trade.

#6 RocksMillenium, Dec 7, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2001
  7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Pood,

Rice hasn't had his shot for the last 2-3 years. Thats why the Fakers and Knicks no longer wanted him. He is not the same player he used to be.

8. Bay Rock

Bay Rock Member

The excuse that Rice doesn't have his legs is starting to get old. We are 20 games into an 82 game season, (almost 1/4 of the games have been played) and he still doesn't have his legs. Now he has a leg injury.

We're paying 8 million for a zone buster, who currently isn't doing the job he was brought in for.

With his current production and 2 more years left on his contract, this has not been a good trade.

9. Michael19P

Michael19P Member

I honestly was never very excited when we got Rice, but I decided to ride it out. The season obviously isn't going well for him. The thing that bothers me most was the way he played against the Knicks. In that game he showed the contributor that he should be for the Rockets, posting people up and even hitting a three (although he missed a crucial one, but it happens to the best of them). It bothers me because that is really one of the few games when he has done that, because he thought he had somthing to prove because the knicks let him go. To me, that indicates a lack of desire and effort, because he in no way puts that effort and focus out every time he hits the floor. Sure Stevie and Cuttino, play better when the go to DC and Philly respectively, but the also consistently play well. Rice doesn't do this at all. That is why I really regret the aquisition.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

RM - this may be a difficult concept for you to grasp, but there was a very small group of posters who didn't want Rice from Day 1 and wholeheartedly felt he was the wrong player to use our cap money on. To the person, we have all expressed a desire to see Rice get hot and do what RT & CD expected him to do.

Unfortunately, this small group of anti-Rice Rockets fans felt/recognized that Glen Rice due to age and general condition was never going to get his legs. The Rockets have played 20 games and he's not close. Now he's out with an injury. As patient fans, do we now push out the timeline for Rice to get his legs until around say...the All-Star break?

For my part, I would love for the pro-Rice majority here to slap me around verbally, but I just get so frustrated because there is so much more we could have done if we would have let Shandon walk. It's hard to be patient when the Rocks are not playing well and a player we were highly suspect of from the start is living proof of our worst criticisms. How much time is enough time?

11. steve francis

steve francis Member

Millenium,

I have no personal vendetta against Rice, to rejoice at his demise. He was once a great player, but I don't like what I've seen from him over the past 3 years. He now looks old and unathletic on the court. If he isn't shooting at a high clip, he doesn't add anything to the team. I really doubt that he's going to improve very much now. Frankly, I'd much rather have Matt Bullard than Rice. If we had kept Bullard, I think we would have won a couple more games than we have so far. This is yet another over-the-hill superstar that the Rockets have brought in, with diminishing success every time. Even Quitten was better than this!!!

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I am rite here as well. I still am not ready to call the trade a bust. I would have also preffered to let Shandon walk, but I dont think Rice is as bad as people are making him out to be. I still think he will come around.

13. DOGBITE

DOGBITE New Member

RICE HAS NOT HAD HIS SHOT IN 2-3 YEARS THEN WHY SIGN HIM ?BAD MOVE JUST LIKE FAT ASS CATO .MAN WE BETTER HOPE STEVE DOESNT LEAVE,HAY WHATS UP CLUTCHKILLER,SMZ,BIG BALLZZZZZZZZZS :D WHOS THA MAN CLUTCH?ROCKS JUST LOSE BABY GET THE FIRST PICK,STEVE JUST REST BABY CAUSE I DONT WANT FAT ASS CATO TO STEP ON YOU .RUDY T KEEP FAT ASS ON THE DAM BENCH PLEASE. GRANDPA SAYS RICE IS A BUM:) WITH A FAT CHECK.START THE ROOKIE PLEASE DAM IT THE SEASON IS OVER ?RUDY YOUR TIME IS UP?