1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Computer Questions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TraJ, Dec 5, 2001.

1. TraJ

TraJ Member

I have a PIII 450, but with the recent drop in PIII prices I was thinking about putting in a new chip. I don't need a top of the line machine, but I would like to bring mine a little more up to date. The reason I plan on putting in a a PIII is because I don't want to change my motherboard, memory, or anything else. I have some questions, however.

How can I tell if I have what kind of motherboard I have? How about whether I have to use a Slot 1 or Socket 370 chip?

If my current system has a 100mhz fsb, can I use a chip with a 133mhz fsb? If so, does the fact that I have 100mhz RAM affect that?

Also, on the Dell website I used their Windows XP upgrade advisor. (Somewhere along the way I want to switch to XP.) The "advisor" said something about my computers BIOS not being up to Dell's standards for running XP, and also that they wouldn't be issuing another BIOS update for my system. My BIOS date is 10/13/00, and they didn't say I couldn't run XP, just that my BIOS doesn't meet "their standards." I personally think they would just like for me to buy a new computer, which was their "recommendation" if I want to switch to XP.

How easy (or difficult) is it to put in a new chip, especially if you've never done much more inside your computer than install more RAM and a new modem? If the new chip comes with a fan, is it already attached, or do I have to attach that too?

Just some simple questions from someone who is trying to better understand computers, but who is really ignorant.

Any suggestions as to where I should buy a new chip on the Internet--good prices and good service?

#1 TraJ, Dec 5, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2001
  2. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

I changed the MP in my dell p3 500 to an 800...it was pretty easy, similar to taking out and putting in ram, but the new chip should have a cord for the cooling fan(yes it should come with the microprocessor) on it that you have to connect to the motherboard...but its easy to find as its usually right next to the MP slot. You can see what type of mobo you have by opening the computer and looking at the board between the harddrive and the pci slots...kind of close to the bottom. it should just say it on the board. bios is pretty easy to upgrade, just to a search on the web...down load it and install it(flashing the bios)...only thing is that you can't do this in windows it must be done in dos...
    On the dell site it should have a search function that you should use to see what other people with your situation and computer type, did, thats how I did the thousand upgrades on my dell. hope this helps a little...

3. TraJ

TraJ Member

Severe Rockets Fan,

Did your PIII 500 come with a fan on it?

4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Unless things have changed recently or Intel is somehow different, OEM CPU's do not come with fans, retail ones do. I'm not sure since I haven't followed Intel in at least 2 years.

If you have a Dell, call them up and ask them your questions. Or go to their website. That's one of the reasons you got Dell in the first place, right? :)

5. kbm

kbm Member

DOD is right about the fan Traj. Most OEM intel processors don't come with a fan. Retail versions do. If you buy an OEM processor, you'll also need to apply a thermal tape of some sort between the processor and heatsink. Retail versions you don't because the heatsink and processor have already been attached at the factory. Confused? Well, my best advise - and I know something about computers - is to buy PC HARDWARE IN A NUTSHELL by O'Reilly and Associates. It not only explains the differences in hardware standards such as PIII coppermine vs PIII Katmai it tells you how to install these hardware components. In short, invest 20 dollars and you'll be able to design your own system if you so chose. I can't stress it enough. I use this book all the time along with web sites such as www.webopedia.com to make sense of all the new hardware that comes out everyday.

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have a computer question of my own. Whenever I shut down and load up my computer again or restart it or turn it off then on I always get these two messages, "SMTP component not connected" and "Windows Socket Error" what do these mean?

7. kbm

kbm Member

Most likely the messages are registery errors. There are references - at least to the smtp component - in the windows registery but the component no longer exists in the "real" windows world. This type of error usually occurs when you uninstall a program improperly or when your system crashes. Thus, the registry can't find the component on the harddrive.

8. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

No it didn't, but the new 800 did.

9. TraJ

TraJ Member

Dell has great technical support if you have trouble with your computer as they built it. But here's the email I received when I asked them some of the same questions I posted above:

Needless to say, that doesn't really help me. I did find the Webopedia site helpful. Anymore sites like that?

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

SMTP errors relate to email programs. SMTP is the protocol used to send email. There could be several reasons for this error :

1) If you're getting this error as you start up Windows, something is probably trying to communicate out, but you probably aren't connected to the 'Net when it tries. Are you on a dial-up connection or "always on" connection like DSL/cable modem.

2) This could be left-overs from some old utility/email client that wasn't uninstalled properly.

3) Look to see if you're running anything in the task bar that would need to communicate via email/SMTP when you go into Windows.

11. TraJ

TraJ Member

Severe Rockets Fan,

Did your PIII 500 have a "plastic thing" that directed air from the case fan to the cpu? If so, did that "plastic thing" fit back on after putting in the PIII 800 with the attached fan? Or did you just leave it off? With a fan on the cpu I'm not sure it would be necessary anyway.

I apologize for the technical language. :)

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

What you're talking about is probably a "fan shroud". I have one on one of my AMD cpu's. It connects to the case and hangs over the cpu to either direct air onto or pull air away from the area. I don't necessarily need mine, but I'm not sure about Intel's. I wouldn't think with a fan on the cpu, it would need one.