1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rice out LONGER than expected

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old School, Dec 7, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Old School

Old School Member

Associated Press tonight is reporting that he has a partially torn tendon in his knee...he'll be out around 4 weeks.

Old School

2. Houstone

Houstone Member

Great news Old School..:)

3. Francis3

Francis3 Member

He wil be out the rest of the year if he has surgery.

Well what a season it was. Im looking forward to next year.

4. Old School

Old School Member

Spring training starts soon.

You think interest in the Rockets is low now...wait until next year when the Texans will dominate the sports pages and TV regardless of how bad they will be.

Old School

5. treeman

treeman Member

I don't see how losing Rice at this point is bad. It's not like he's contributed that much...

Hell, give Langhi some PT. He couldn't be any worse. He's still here, isn't he?

6. Old School

Old School Member

From Saturday's Chronicle:

Glen Rice was instructed to stay completely off his sore right knee for a week to 10 days before even beginning rehabilitation, Rockets trainer Keith Jones said Friday. The injury could keep rice out for a month, even in a best-case scenario.

If rest and rehabilitation do not work, surgery is a possibility. Surgery could cost Rice the rest of the season, depending on the severity of the injury.

But Jones said it was too early and there is too much swelling to predict whether Rice will need to have the tendon repaired, or whether arthroscopic surgery would be sufficient.

An MRI showed frayed edges where the tendon attaches to the knee cap, forcing Rice to use crutches before a more detailed plan and timetable can be made to return Rice to the court.

"Dr. (Walter) Lowe said he wouldn't call them tears right now," Jones said. "But the edges look funny on the top. We're going to rest him on crutches for week, a week to 10 days, see how he is and what we do from there."

"It makes it difficult," Rice said. "You start looking at the situation saying, `Can I get a break?' You look at the situation and try to be strong, be supportive. You have guys out there capable of stepping in and doing a job. You have to be strong and keep believing. Our belief is shaken. But that's when you have to dig deep and as a teammate, keep encouraging.

"As far as injuries, I've never had this many problems in my career. I want to be out there helping my team more than what I have."

Though Rice is certain to miss the five games required for a stay in the injured list, the Rockets do not have a place on the injured list for him. Center Jason Collier has been working out but has not proved that his shin splints ailment would permit him to hold up in game action.

7. Flying_4_ever

Flying_4_ever Member

imo Rice didn't do anything to help this team so far this year. He's old, out of shape, and has bad feet and knees. His carreer is over as far as I am concerned. He did nothing to help this team, and they are gonna be the same team with or without him. I'm actually glad he is out cause now that means more playing time for Torres, Griffin and Morris.