1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

59 Year Old Man Makes Division III Football Team

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Manny Ramirez, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Pretty interesting story...

Flynt, 59, making comeback with Sul Ross State University

ALPINE, Texas -- Mike Flynt was drinking beer and swapping stories with some old football buddies a few months ago when he brought up the biggest regret of his life: Getting kicked off the college team before his senior year.

One of his pals asked why he didn't do something about it? So Flynt started a comeback -- at age 59.

Flynt has returned to Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas, 37 years after he left -- and six years before he goes on Medicare. And, he's has made the roster of the Division III Lobos and could be in action as soon as Sept. 1.

Flynt enrolled in graduate school so he can take advantage of his final semester of Division III eligibility.

Flynt is giving new meaning to being a college senior. After all, he's a grandfather. He's eight years older than his coach and has two kids older than any of his teammates. His youngest child just started at the University of Tennessee.

Flynt's position is still being determined, but he used to play linebacker. Wherever he lines up, just getting into a game likely will make him the oldest player in college football history. Neither the NCAA or NAIA keeps such a statistic, but research hasn't turned up anyone older than mid-40s.

And with around 200 pounds on a 5-10 frame, about the only visible difference from his playing days is a shaved head. He's in tremendous shape for his age because he's made a living out of working out.

A longtime strength and conditioning coach at Nebraska, Oregon and Texas A&M, Flynt has spent the last several years selling the Powerbase training system he invented. He recently taught it to some of the military's special operations forces, keeping up with them in their workouts.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2986313

2. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Cool story. I've been there twice, Alpine is a beautiful town. If he played baseball, their stadium is one of the prettiest in college baseball.

3. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Wonder if he will break a bone the first time he get into the game. ;)

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Most likely his hip

5. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

Is Kathy Ireland their kicker? :p

6. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

This made me laugh. :D

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D nice.

what was that movie called?

8. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Necessary Roughness

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hope I have guns like this when I'm his age. Reminds me of Steven Covey:

link with pic (couldn't post the pic for some reason).

10. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

[​IMG]

He'd be a really small linebacker. Can he play Safety?

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:D now i just have to go rent it