1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The demise of the Titans/Oilers & Bud

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Drewdog, Nov 13, 2001.

1. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Personally, I am glad that Bud Adams and the Titans are struggling. Nothing made me more upset then when Big Bud decided to move OUR team to the backwoods of Tennessee, after we invested our HEARTS and SOULS to a franchise that gave us nothing but heartbreaks and headaches.

Im glad they suck, Im glad they lost the Super Bowl, and Im glad they lost last night. I just dont understand how Houstonians support and root for the Titans. Bud raped and teased us for years, and now Tennesseans get to experience the true Oiler/Titan struggles that we had to experience year in and year out.

I say this because I picked up some Houston Texans gear last night at the mall. I dont live in Houston anymore, but I will proudly support the Houston Texans and their first class organization (I pray we get the games in Austin!!). I think that we will have one of the best organizations in the NFL, and will make Houston proud.

ok Im done

DD

2. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

What did Derrick Mason ever do to you? He's a Titan, too, you know!

Bud brought Houston championship teams in the early 60s, near championship teams in the late-60s, the Earl Campbell Luv Ya Blue era, and the Warren Moon Run and Gun era... both of which made some hay in the playoffs.

In particular, Moon's teams had the sad irony of being the second best team in all of football behind the damned Steelers of their own division.

How many other franchises have had as many highs and lows?

If I lived in or near Houston, I might be bitter too but Go Titans! Why do people hate Adams so much?

And Go Texans!

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I agree with Drew. Bud can go to hell. He stole that team from the city of Houston when it was consistantly selling out every week and turning a nice profit for him. The Oilers used to own Houston, sports-wise, and we lived and died - mostly died - with them every season. I have absolutely no reason to want to see them do well (although I felt badly for Bruce Matthews and his poor snap that cost his team 3 points).

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

It was actually Campbell, Pastorini, et al that were behind the Steelers in 1978 and 1979. Buffalo was the dominant AFC team during the Moon years.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I hate Bob Lanier for kicking the Oilers out of Houston. I will always root against him in whatever he does.

I also love it when Houston gets painted as this poor city that had their team stolen from them, when there have always been more Cowboy fans in Houston than Oiler fans. I still can't get over the fact that Cowboy games are broadcast on FM radio IN HOUSTON. Stupid city.

6. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

You're right. Thanks bobrek... who can ever forget Mike Renfro's denied touchdown and Frank Reich's unbelievable comeback against Moon's Oilers?

7. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

stupid people, not city. and the team was stolen -- i've posted this in threads with you previously, maybe this time it'll stick: the city never got a vote on the oilers' fate -- no stadium referendum, nothing. their departure was negotiated and arranged by businessmen and politicians. blame them, but not the city -- you're extremely misguided and ill-informed on this issue. still.

and houston isn't the only city with a large cowboy contingent, btw. the league and the networks have, for years, shoved the cowboys down america's throat. what people like you fail to grasp is that houston is a city with some 4 million people, and not all one of them are a) rabid football fans; b) native houstonians. a lot of them are casual fans from surrounding areas, and those are the people the cowboys have picked up over the years. until recently, it's been a highly visible, overtly successful franchise.

and when you're a casual football fan, and the local team is, far more often than not, a disgrace, you start to look elsewhere...

8. bobrek

9. TheFreak

What did I say in my first sentence? I hate Bob Lanier for kicking the Oilers out of Houston. He fits under the category of politician, does he not? Is it not the mayor's fault for not putting the issue to a vote (if it's some other politician, please point him out so I can re-direct some of my ire)? The team may have been "stolen", but it's kind of like when someone steals an old pair of shoes from me that I don't care about anymore -- I'm not going to lose sleep over it; probably won't even put up a fight. The Oilers were Houston's old pair of shoes.

What other cities that have/have had pro teams are broadcasting the Cowboys on their FM radio stations?

What makes you think I fail to grasp this? You're basically saying that Houston is ambivalent (or "casual", however you want to say it) about their sports teams...I already knew that.

10. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Couldn't happen to a better guy. I'll root against them every Sunday.

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Or the Buddy Ryan year....

The awesome Buddy Ryan defense that used to mangle opposing QB's.....11 games straight. Or Buddy's weak ass right hook at Kevin Gilbride. Or Joe Montana...with a huge burstis sack on his elbow leading the Chief's back in the first round of the playoffs that year:mad:

12. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I was never angry at Bud Adams. He's a businessman. Yeah, he wanted Houston city leaders to stroke his ego. Yeah, he's arrogant. Yeah, he owns an NFL team.

I hate Bob Lanier. I wish he would run for mayor in Austin. No brainer. I'd vote for Leslie, the famous cross dressing Austin mayoral candidate.

I think we are better off without Bud though. New team. New owner. New stadium.

Go TEXANS!

13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As a business owner Bud Adam's had NO CHOICE but to leave.

He needed a new stadium to compete in the NFL, and the Astrodome was just not cutting it anymore.

Anyone find it odd that Drayton McLane was saying how GOOD the Astrodome was for Football and baseball, but the minute the Oilers left, he whines for a new stadium?

Bud is no saint for sure, but the Oilers were my team...MY TEAM !!! Now, I root for the Titans, albeit not nearly as hard or with as much fervor.

I do not live in Houston anymore so it will be hard to root for the Texans. I really don't watch pro football much anymore, which makes me realilze how often I wasted all those fabulous fall Sundays watching the Oilers choke.

Oh well, older and wiser I guess.

GO ROCKETS !!!

DaDakota

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

excuse my french, but this is unadultrated crap. first of all, until the oilers dismantled and fell apart in 1994, bud enjoyed nearly a decade of financial windfall from oiler games -- he was making plenty of money. moving was about making more money.

as for staying competitive, the nfl has a salary cap and league-wide revenue sharing -- when you throw in the annual draft and the scheduling format, every team essentially plays on the same field regardless of revenues.

bud is a business man, and bud would've been a fool to turn down nashville's deal, but don't the distort facts to cram his incredible girth into the role of victim. bud made plenty of money on the oilers while in houston.

#14 Hey Now!, Nov 13, 2001
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2001
  15. bobrek

Plus, Adams had only recently received (1987) 100 million to refurbish the dome. Much of it taxpayer money and some luxury suite money. The mistake Harris County made was in not getting more than a 10 year lease. The additional seats in the Dome was the beginning of the end to it as a baseball venue. Too many seats.

The Astrodome was always a great place to watch a game (either baseball or football), although I prefer to watch baseball and football outdoors. If they could have only grown grass...

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

RichRocket,

Why? You answered it yourself: "Bud brought Houston championship teams in the early 60s, near championship teams in the late-60s, the Earl Campbell Luv Ya Blue era, and the Warren Moon Run and Gun era... both of which made some hay in the playoffs."

Then, he took it away from me.... I hate the guy. Also, did you forget how he flipped off the entire city of Houston on national television? Talk about rubbing salt in the wound. What an A$$hole.

---------------------
    TheFreak,

In 1975, at the age of 5, I became an Oilers fan. The Houston Oilers were NOT my "old pair of shoes".

From the age of 5 and until I realized my lack of physical ability (to play professional football), I wanted to play for the Oilers.

---------------------
    Smokey,

I think we're better of without Adams too. I just wish he had sold the team. Or at the very least left us the friggin' name.... What and A$$hole.

17. TheFreak

It would've been awesome if the name were available, but there is no way it would've been selected.