1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Remember the Titans???

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Dream34, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Man I am so upset right now. Watching the Monday night game and the Titans are playing like crap.

I mean we have our share have injuries but so does everybody else in the NFL.

What pisses me off the most is how undisciplined this team is. The Titans are leading the league in penalties. They are missing tackles. These are fundamentals and things that players have forgotten all about. The coaching staff should get a good share of the blame.

Titans offseason priorities because the Titans season is over.

1) Draft numerous offensive lineman (I am so tired of hearing about Matthews and how many games he has played. The man is playing like a 40 year old.) I thank Bruce for the memories but he really needs to hang them up after this season. Bruce, can you take Fred Miller with you. I am sure Fred Miller is left on the list for the Texans in the expansion draft. Man I hope the Texans take him off the Titans hands.
    2) Draft a decent back-up to Eddie George. Skip Hicks and Mike Green are not going to cut it.
    3) Get a fullback who can be an effective lead blocker. Letting Lorenzo Neil go was a mistake.
    4) Fisher needs to stop meddling with the offense. Teams have figured out how to beat the Titans. The days of running Eddie up the gut are over. (At least with the present offensive line.) Take the handcuffs off the offensive coordinator. It is a joke seeing Frank Wycheck and Erron Kinney act as a lead blocker for Eddie. Let the man get a lead blocking fullback and go from there.
    5) Work on improving the secondary because they are toast.

Just needing to vent after this Monday night disaster. :eek:

2. Timing

Timing Member

Titans and Cowboys both sucking it up at the same time. I LOVE it! Go Texans!!! :D

3. Dream34

What is really sad is that this could have been a close game. The momentum swung completely the way of the Steelers in the second quarter. The Titans stop the Steelers and force them to punt but than make a unsportsmanlike penalty and give them new life. That was the start of the floodgates opening... :(

How the mighty have fallen!! :confused:

I am dissappointed but I still love my Titans!!!

#3 Dream34, Oct 30, 2001
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2001
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeeeeeeehaw! :D

5. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

I enjoy watching the Titans fail almost almost as much as I hated watching the Oilers lose.

Way to go [Titan's next opponent]!

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

:) titans stink :)

7. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Man what a train wreck that was! Pittsburgh was on fire, Tennessee looked out of their league early. Yeah they tied the game, but it really wasn't that close, even early.

8. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Cowboys RULE! :mad:

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

10. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Ric, who do you think the Texans should take? or top 3 they should take?

11. Dream34

Ric,
    I have no problem with you taking the low road. I expect as much from you. :p

Anybody can kick a team when they are down. It takes true fans to stick with your team at their lowest moments. I have no problem admitting that I love the Titans!!!

I was so pumped up about this season and the Titans have not performed at the level I expected. I still believe that the Titans have a strong nucleus of quality players and will be back to form in the very near future...

Keeping the faith!!!

12. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Talk about injuries. The Titan defensive secondary seems to have been decimated like no other unit in the NFL:

Injured Reserve: Dainan Sydney, Bobby Myers
    Injury Time: Blaine Bishop, Samari Rolle (first game back)

That leaves the following players:

Andre Dyson -- rookie -- been injured much of training camp
    DeRon Jenkins -- journeyman
    Donald Mitchel -- 2nd year guy coming off season-ending injury
    Aric Morris -- new starter
    Perry Phenix -- journey man who was traded away but came back
    Daryl Porter -- rookie, I think
    Joe Walker -- rookie free agent
    Michael Booker -- journeyman

That's a long injury trail to overcome. It's pretty tough to stock a position that deep. Those guys up on the injury list were their STARTING SECONDARY. Who else has lost their entire starting unit?

Offensively, letting Lo Neal go and/or not keeping a capable blocking fullback seems to have been a great mistake. The Titans can't run the ball and they can't throw the ball upfield. It sucks.

13. Hey Now!

i think they should take the best player available, no matter what they do in the expansion draft and/or free agency. and right now, the best player in the country is julius peppers, hands down.

if not peppers, i'd likely tab bryant mckinnie, and if not mckinnie, i'd be content with henderson or edwards.

i really think those are the four best players likely to be available in 2002. and i'll go ahead and make eli manning the early favorite for 2003 -- the kid looks pheee-nom-inal, really poised and confident.

14. Hey Now!

just messin' with ya, tho i fear you're falling into a pit of deep, deep denial. strong nucleus? assuming eddie is someday healthy again, they have two players to build around and a team of complimentary players. there's not a lot of talent on either side of the ball. pittsburgh, who's had multiple and consistent free agent defections since about 1996, has more talent. so does cleveland, who's in their third year. heck, cincinnati has better talent.

the cap has killed tennessee and they're going to have to shave even more next year -- i read they'll be $15M over. like i said in the thread i referenced: it's like clockwork what the nfl does to its top teams.

15. PhiSlammaJamma

What I would like to see.

1) More play fakes to Eddie and a FB.

2) Need a FB. I think we've proven that to be a fact. You can't have a TE trying to block.

3) Our Offensive line was blasted away last night, but I don't think they are that bad.

4) Our seconday will be fine once we get everyone back. I thought the coverage was there, they just didn't make the plays.

5) Get Keith Bullock on the field. The guy has some smack and big play potential.

6) I don't think we need another RB. For the most part, no team that has a superstar RB has anything decent to back him up. We are not alone. But perhaps a backup that has some kind of weapon would be nice. Maybe Speed. Maybe power. But some weapon that could break out if we get lucky.

7) I know Eddie likes to pick his holes slowly, but maybe its time to just fly into the line at full speed and see what happens. Maybe it would be effective, I don't know, but something needs to change.

8) No more stupid penalties. Cost us the game. Unacceptable. If you make a bonehead play you sit. We did it in the preseason and it has continued.

We can still make the playoffs, but the schedule is going to be brutal. Keep the faith.

16. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

What I would like to see:

1. The Titans lose every game for the rest of their existence.

2. The Titans disband after the NFL decides to contract in 2020. That'll give Tennessee just about as much heart-ache as I got from 'em.

17. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I still root for the Titans, but they are third behind DA BEARS!!! and the cowboys.

Their main problem is the same that Dallas has. The Defense is keyed on the run. Eddie George also misses Lorenzo Neal - his old fullback who used to open the holes.

18. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I can't believe there isn't one mention of Steve "Air" McNair in this thread. Where the hell did the "Air" come from anyway? Shirley it wasn't from his passing ability. He has to be the worst passing QB in the NFL. The entire offense is built around George. The Titan recievers are not that bad, McNair does not have the ability to get them the ball.

Its obvious Jeff Fisher has lost control of this team. Leading the NFL in penalties is proof enough. Fisher must go and a more offensive minded coach should be brought in. I was pulling for the Titans this season (my last as a Titan fan) because next year I jump ship to the Texans.

Good Riddance Bud Adams!!!

19. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

All I have to say is......

GO STEELERS!!!!

20. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

It is "Err" not "Air." I'm not sure why the national media have not gotten on to this.

I'm extremely disappointed in McNair. Perhaps he could become Eddie George's back-up RB?

I hope they go on a losing streak, get a top 5 pick and pluck that Harrington kid from Oregon.

Failing that, send a slew of decent players to the Texans for the #1 pick and grab Simms from UT.

P.S.-- I complained that they couldn't throw the ball upfield which certainly was meant as a criticism of McNair