1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Barry Sanders

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Joe Joe, Oct 19, 2001.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

http://msn.espn.go.com/chrismortensen/s/2001/1019/1266408.html

From ESPN.com chris mortenson

Lions won't stop Sanders from playing elsewhere

Oct. 19
    Detroit Lions coach Marty Mornhinweg said Friday that the team has informed an agent for Barry Sanders that "if he wants to play football somewhere else, we will accommodate him."

This is the first time the Lions have publicly or privately taken this position on Sanders since he retired.

Mornhinweg was responding to a report that said Sanders' agents were trying to use Michael Jordan's return to the NBA as a catalyst for him to return to the NFL, but that the Lions were adamant about him resuming his career in Detroit, if he so desired.

Mornhinweg said he has had recent dialogue with Peter Schaffer, one of Sanders' agents, as the NFL trade deadline approaches Tuesday. The Lions own the rights to Sanders, who retired following the 1998 season, and would be entitled to compensation if Sanders wanted to play for another team.

"We are being told ... there might be an inkling that Barry wants to play again, but somewhere else," said Mornhinweg. "But I've had occasions to speak with Barry, and I just don't think he's interested in playing football again -- it's that simple. We have had conversations with other teams, but this isn't going anywhere.

"Frankly, we're going to have to hear Barry say it personally -- that he wants to play again. It can't come from his agents."

2. haven

haven Member

Baltimore Ravens, meet your new running back, Barry Sanders.

P.S. If you play the Packers in the Super Bowl, it still won't be enough.

3. red

red Contributing Member

maybe he wants to join the texans next year...man would that rule...

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Funny that this comes up now. I was talking to a friend of mine the other day about football and more specifically the Texans and I thought how awesome it would be if Barry signed to play with the Texans. I wonder if we'd have a serious shot at getting him to play in H-Town.

5. FLAGRANT1

FLAGRANT1 Member

Why would he come back to play for one of the worst teams in the league:rolleyes: ......................
    If that were the case he would simply play for the Lions.

6. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Probably more propaganda whipped up by his agent and his father,who just see $ bills

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Barry Sanders is a quitter and a loser.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

flagrant -- you didn't hear?? the Texans are going to rule the league from day one!!!

love,

MadMax
    Texans Fan #1

9. Steve_Francis_rules

I'd like to see Barry come back, I miss watching him play.