1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Webber wanted to come to Houston.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ty_Webb, Oct 14, 2001.

1. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

http://www.detroitnews.com/2001/pistons/0110/14/d04-318386.htm

Houston and Orlando were two logical destinations for Webber, but neither came calling. Here is Webber's take on why.
    "(Houston guard) Steve Francis told me they thought I was cocky, and I'm going to try to kill them every year for that," Webber said. "Steve and Cuttino Mobley told me they thought that I didn't want to go there, that I was cocky and didn't want to play there. But I really was interested."

Thanks Steve.
    :mad:

2. neXXes

neXXes Member

old news

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Webber needs to get busy trying to figure out how not to get humiliated, humbled, castrated, and beheaded by the Lakers like last year.

4. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

Once again:

:rolleyes:

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Until Steve says he said it. . i do not beleive it
    and if he did . .SO WHAT

if he wanted to come to houston . . he'd be here
    right now. . .

Rocket River

6. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I just...I just think people want to save money.

7. DreamMachine34

Funny, Webber also wanted to be in Detroit, Orlando, San Antonio, Heaven etc. He was just some b*tch that wore a fancy dress during free agency hoping all the teams would be screaming his name and whistling at him. And when he didn't get any coaches or players at his doorstep right at midnight when free agency began, he soon got on the angry where's-the-love mode. But I'm sure all those millions of dollars will soak up those tears. Whatever.

8. B

B Contributing Member

Webber is just showing his ego is easily bruised.

DreamMachine34, I like your signature. Too many people don't appreciate what they have until after it's long gone. I think a lot of people are die hard Rockets fans, and will find some way to justify in their minds why we didn't get Hakeem. If the Hakeem issue had been dealt with quickly, maybe we would have gone after Webber. But anyway, there is no reason for Webber to be whining about it now. I think he knows he is going to miss all the special treatment he got on the road last year.

B

9. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

heh heh. I don't think I'll ever get tired of that. :D

10. SCOOTER T.

SCOOTER T. Contributing Member

We never NEEDED Webber! He would have been nice but we have enough stars on the team. Webber's asset is his ability to call time outs at the appropriate time during the game. Or his ability to count time outs.;)

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

If the Hakeem situation had been dealt with we WOULDN'T have gotten Webber! Hakeem didn't want to come back. He wanted a bigger role and a large contract on a rebuilding team. And no I'm an "Anti-Hakeem" fan for saying this. Stop blaming Houston Rockets management because Hakeem and the Rockets parted on mutual terms. And creating a signature ripping people for thinking this way isn't going to help. Hakeem is in a better place, a veteran laden team that is a title contender, and Rockets got draft picks to help with the rebuilding. Lets just stop blaming people and worry about the Rockets.

12. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Sounds pretty good to me :) .

13. DreamMachine34

First of all, thanks B. And I don't want to get off topic since this is a Webber post, but since the sin license has been broken, then I'll gladly reply.

RocksMillenium, I'm not bashing Rocket's management. After all, it was a good business decision on both parts. I'm a huge Olajuwon fan, but I'm also a Houston Rockets fan. I'm happy that Dream made a smart decision and that the Rockets made good use of the money (hopefully we'll get Jackson.)
    I've been reading posts from this forum for the past two years.
    And after Dream left, I expected some discontent here and there, some "Hakeem is evil," others "Good luck, Dream." But I was hoping the majority would say "It's mutual. Good luck to both sides."

But once Dream went to the Raptors, it seemed as if everything this man has done went in vain. But it's free speech so people have a right. All of a sudden talks of him being overpaid these past three years came up (which is true but he was also grossly underpaid in the early 90s, not in the top ten, and Hot Rod Williams was making more...yikes), and insults on his greed for money and the ball.

If it was a handful of posters, I wouldn't say much. But I forgot how fairweather Houston fans are, so I'm justing doing my part
    being on the other side of the spectum to defend Dream. I'm like everyone else in this forum, I was disgusted when Ostertag neutralized Dream. I cussed at the television once I realize his Dream Shake wasn't as sweet as it was before. And at times, I was just plain disappointed at Dream.

But it only showed me how much underappreciated Dream has been in Houston and for the sport of basketball. Now that he's become an average to fairly-good center, we're bashing him like he's Moses in his final years. He's a footnote next to Michael Jordan. And it really makes me sick when people like Karl Malone, John Stockton and Charles Barkley are considered more prominent than Dream. That's just downright ugly.

Bottom line: I love the Rockets. I love Hakeem. I haven't seen dozens of "Rocket's management at fault" posts. I haven't seen "This was a mutual business and personal decision on both parts" posts. I've only seen "Hakeem is greedy and can't play" posts. I'm just doing my part to support the man. As for my signature, it only shows the irony, and damn, there's a happy ending to it.

14. drpepper

drpepper Member

People, Dream had his mind made up even before negotiations started, he even told one of our members that. REMEMBER? He basicly used us to get a fat contract, and who can blame him. We would have all done the same if we didn't want to be here. Don't lie! It was simple.Keep your mouth shut and watch your salary inflate. He knew he wasn't coming back, he even was asked that same question by a Toronto reporter during training camp.

Q: When did you know you weren't going to be a Rocket this season?

A: About half way through the regular season.

I'm sure it was when he and Rudy were bickering. He knew he was gonna need them in the end and didn't want to look like a bad guy. He even called Rudy when Rudy was on 610 am to apologize. CLASSIC!He later went on to tell the Toronto reporter he was 70% sure he wouldn't return, but that was only to save face in Houston. We all know he was playing the game to get a fat check come the off-season. Don't you remember how he was playing at the end of last season. Even once we knew we were out of the playoffs, he played his a$$ off because it was a contract year. He may be alot of things, but stupid he's not.

Dreammachine, I don't think anyone is to blame. Both sides are better off because of it. I like Dream as much as the next guy and hated to see him go, but there was no way we could have justified paying him what Toronto did. It was a bold move by CD and Rudy to hold their ground and I believe it will help build character on our young team. Go Rockets!